Baofeng Radios

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHrusky

Reaction score
Can anyone give me advice on getting an antenna for a pair of Baefeng radios? I have the UV-5R+ 8/4/1W radios.
I can get up to 3 miles with no problem, but would like to get 10 miles. Is there any external antenna I could get for these that would give me that 10 mile+ distance?
(I recognize we need an amateur license to transmit with them).

Have you looked into 2 m antennas for mobile devices, such as those you can mount on your auto via a magnet? Then put it up as high as you can, but you'll have to balanced the loss of signal on the length of the coax you use to go from radio to antenna. Or create a radio repeater and put that up high where each can hit it and then broadcast however it reaches out due to it's power.

Thank you. I will check into 2M magnetic mount antennas. But 2 more questions now arise:

1. How do you balance signal? Do you need some type of meter? Is there somewhere I can read about doing this?

2. How do you create a radio repeater (I suspect I need a license to do that as well?) Again, somewhere to read about that would be great.

Thank you.

I assume are trying to hit a repeater with a Baofang.
The repeater will be high in the air, and from your rooftop trees hopefully won't be a problem.

You will have to get a $10 car 2 meter antenna and put it on your roof.
Cut a 2 foot by 2 foot square of flat metal, spray paint it to match your shingles.
The car antenna is magnetic and will stick on the metal.

I can hit a repeater 15 miles away with it.

See Details:

Jim’s Daily Rant. Forming Alliances, Redoubts and Truck

Last edited:
If all the above doesn't help you then be more specific on what you are trying to accomplish; terrain, distance, will a base station be required, etc.

I have a 50 watt base station with a car radio antenna on the roof. I am in Florida, flat land.
I can talk to a UV5R standard model, with the $20 longer antenna (above), for a distance of 6 miles (Radio to radio).

25 Watt Base station $140 . . . . Amazon 50 Watt Base Station $155 Amazon
Note that the base station is a car radio and set for 12 volt marine battery if used in the home.
If marine battery is used, then use an AC battery charger periodically to save money.
Or you can purchase an AC to 12 VDC power transformer. . . . $53 Amazon

Taller Antenna if needed . . . $98 Amazon

Last edited:
Good thread. I've been asking many of these same questions too. I recently bought a pair of Midland hand held radios. They claim a 32 mile range, which we all know is BS. These radios barely reach to our gate, 2 miles away. I need something with at least a 5 mile range just to cover our property. I've been looking at Baofeng radios. I think some claim 12 watts of power. I'd like to set up a base station upstairs in the house with a tall antenna and a couple hand helds. My county has 4 reapeters, the closest is 30 miles away. Would it be possible set up a repeater on my property that could reach this repeater?

ArticDude. I am not sure what you are trying to do. Lets look simple first.

If you put in a base station with rooftop or tall antenna,
Then you can communicate with all Baofeng hand helds on your property if they have the $20 antenna or $9 car antenna.
This means the other hand helds may only hear you talking, but probably not the person you are talking to.

The Base station will reach the 30 miles to the public repeater, but not any of the hand helds.

So if you put up a personal repeater, all radios will be able to talk to all
and may even hit the public repeater if you use something stronger than a baofeng (more power) as the repeater.

However, if you use the Baofeng repeater system, on a tall antenna, it will allow all hand helds to communicate with each other in the field.

Last edited:
If all the above doesn't help you then be more specific on what you are trying to accomplish; terrain, distance, will a base station be required, etc.

Taller Antenna if needed . . . $98 Amazon
Thank you for all the great info.
My goal is to get roughly 7-9 miles over flat terrain but with some trees in between.
I'd prefer not to use a repeater as I am just prepping for a SHTF scenario to ensure I can reach my family and vice versa.
I do have the capability of putting up a 50' tower on my property, but then need to get coax from the antenna to my home, approx. 100'. Not sure if that's reasonable.

I also do not mind having to buy a base station for at least 1 end if necessary.

ArticDude. I am not sure what you are trying to do. Lets look simple first.

If you put in a base station with rooftop or tall antenna,
Then you can communicate with all Baofeng hand helds on your property if they have the $20 antenna or $9 car antenna.
This means the other hand helds may only hear you talking, but probably not the person you are talking to.

The Base station will reach the 30 miles to the public repeater, but not any of the hand helds.

So if you put up a personal repeater, all radios will be able to talk to all
and may even hit the public repeater if you use something stronger than a baofeng (more power) as the repeater.

However, if you use the Baofeng repeater system, on a tall antenna, it will allow all hand helds to communicate with each other in the field.
Thanks Jim. This is helpful. I need a range of about 5 miles to cover our property. I was also thinking of installing a radio in our side by side with a roof mount antenna. The wife gets worried when I'm out doing something and she doesn't hear from me for a long time. Still need to do some research to pick out the right models and get them ordered.

JH: How many radios out in the field at one time?
If just one, perhaps a 25 watt base ($130) in the field truck
and another at home.

The truck system can be made portable by plugging in to the cigarette lighter and a magnetic antenna.
The truck one day, tractor the next.

But this might not be affordable if you have ten ranch hands.

So how is this different from using a phone, if you have the coverage in your area?

A radio is good in a security situation because you don't want your phone ringing. So are you talking normal radio use or security?
This is for you to decide.

Last edited:
JH: How many radios out in the field at one time?
If just one, perhaps a 25 watt base ($130) in the field truck
and another at home.
This is for 2 radios: one on my end, one on my family's end.
It's to ensure we can communicate if cell towers go down, internet down, etc.

Great. I think you have what you need to make a decision now, right? If you need more let me know.
P.S. If you use two base radios you will both have to have a HAM license.

It is super easy to get with free online tutorials available.
I decided to get my HAM license on behalf of our group survival project.
I found out the monthly license exam was that night.
I used the online practice exam for 3 hours and passed the exam that night.

Hint: All questions on the actual exam have a unique answer.
Look at the answers first. If you see "Strawberry" as a possible answer, and recognize it as an answer, you need not read the question.
The exam is designed for a person to pass it. There are no tricks. No other correct answers to another question will be listed.

HAM is a dying art. They need you to pass it. It took me 5 minutes to take the exam and I am stupid.

Can anyone give me advice on getting an antenna for a pair of Baefeng radios? I have the UV-5R+ 8/4/1W radios.
I can get up to 3 miles with no problem, but would like to get 10 miles. Is there any external antenna I could get for these that would give me that 10 mile+ distance?
(I recognize we need an amateur license to transmit with them).
Get your radio lisc then get better radios!!!

Great. I think you have what you need to make a decision now, right? If you need more let me know.
P.S. If you use two base radios you will both have to have a HAM license.

It is super easy to get with free online tutorials available.
I decided to get my HAM license on behalf of our group survival project.
I found out the monthly license exam was that night.
I used the online practice exam for 3 hours and passed the exam that night.

Hint: All questions on the actual exam have a unique answer.
Look at the answers first. If you see "Strawberry" as a possible answer, and recognize it as an answer, you need not read the question.
The exam is designed for a person to pass it. There are no tricks. No other correct answers to another question will be listed.

HAM is a dying art. They need you to pass it. It took me 5 minutes to take the exam and I am stupid.
BET you wont get your EXTRA class lisc with 5 min of studying!!!

Guys, just get your GMRS license. $35, no test, good for 10 years. Can use 50 watt mobiles and put up repeaters. The influx of preppers to ham radio has just made the LID quotient explode. I'm a ham, but also on GMRS. 50 watt base rig and a bunch of 5 watt handhelds (I recommend the Radioddity GM-30 for HT's) and you're sh*tt*ng in the high cotton.

Latest posts

Back