bags for my family and myself

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdvisorX

Reaction score
I have started with my basic bag and first aid kit, but I know I need alot more: I now have a two year old son and he will have other needs that my wife and I what kind of things are you guys packing:
IE ammo, food for adults vs small children, things to keep you mentaly strong. A little help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you the info, so much of surviving is a mental aspect and I would think more for a 2 or 3 year old! I will do some more research but again thank you for this info!

Your very welcome.

And I definitely know what you mean..I just started prepping about 3 months ago myself. I'm getting BoB's for me, my wife, and 4 kids. This site, Clyde, and all of its posters have been a great resource for me.

I've talked to a lot of people that seem to think MREs are the end all and be all of prepping food, but man that stuff would clog anyone up, especially if they're systems aren't used to it. Years and years ago I was engaged to an Air Force stick jock who had the bright idea of feeding MREs to my kid who was 4 at the time. I could have cheerfully killed while I held and rocked that crying girl because she couldn't go.

I'm not saying that MREs don't have their place, they do, I just think that a lot of folks see them as the only thing that they need to stock.

So MRE's would be something to pack as a last resort for food? Should I go with dehydrated products or are there other options?

Honestly, go with what your family will eat. With a toddler, y'all aren't going to be hiking out any great distances because one of you will be carrying the kid as well as your own pack. Dehydrated is good if you have water available. If you have to go by foot, then you are going to need some sort of cart to haul the little one and that can also be used to haul your supplies. MREs can be doable, but you really have to make sure you are eating prunes or some other natural laxative with them, they will stop you up with the preservatives in them.

If you know where you are bugging out to, then make arrangements to have supplies there with family, friends, or in a storage locker nearby. If you are definitely bugging out to a remote location, try to have supplies buried along the route and a map to find them.

Some things you might look at as far as road food, would be crackers with cheese or peanut butter, foil packets of tuna, ramen, those Compleats meals that are shelf stable, pop top meals (ravioli, spaghetti-o's, mac and cheese). If you are going by car and you have a cooler, you can always use foil and heat things like hot dog on the motor.

I would be certain to pin identification and contact numbers inside the toddler's clothing in case you get separated. If nothing else, write his name, birthdate, SS, your name, and numbers on his back or belly with a Sharpie. It will eventually rub off, but he can't lose them if the worst happens.

Great!!! Thank you! I hope to have some other means of transportation (4x4 suv) if the situation permits! But otherwise will be on foot for about 24miles north of my current location! I have looked a couple routes and none of them are very easy, lot of elevation change and(1) possible major water crossing trying to avoid it

Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier but I just read a pretty good book specifically about building your BoB.

bob.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00888TOZI/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

$9 for the kindle version and $11.35 for paperback. Good read with some great info for building your first BoB for you and family.

Latest posts

Back