Axes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have broken a few axe handles and I wish I had kept the heads of them to use but I didn't. But it got me thinking, wouldn't it be a good idea if your bugging out to a wooded area, to take a long handle and a short handle with a few different heads in your bob? I think I would take a couple of tomahawk/hatchet heads and an axe head with a hammer end on one side and a double sided head also, I can see the double sided head as a weapon in a hand to hand situation

The problem is going to be weight, how much can you carry in an emergency - if you do not own and have a place already set up for you to go to.
If you build a camp - you can supply it with as much stuff as you please.

I'm a bigger guy, my pack now is about 40-45 pounds and it's still light to me, and I have a place to go, it's my buddy's grandpa, he's an old war vet and a gun nut so we plan to go there. He lives like 12 miles away from town. And there's No one around him for miles in any direction

Last edited:
I bought a full tang hatchet made by rothco. It's a small hatchet head with a pry bar on top and a hammer on the back. it's made to be abused and dish out abuse. all steel. light, portable, and sharp.

I'm a bigger guy, my pack now is about 40-45 pounds and it's still light to me, and I have a place to go, it's my buddy's grandpa, he's an old war vet and a gun nut so we plan to go there. He lives like 12 miles away from town. And there's No one around him for miles in any direction

If you look at history, before world war 2 the French were working on something called the Maginot Line. Those people were still in the mind set that world war 2 was going to be fought the same way as world war 1.
The problem was that the technology had changed.
Barriers and obstacles were easily flown over and traversed.
The place was obsolete even before it was ever completed.
The funny thing was, the Germans had lot's of resources AND little time and they wasted their precious resources building the line.
When the Americans attacked at Normandy, they found that the guns were never installed and the bunkers were mostly empty.

12 miles - a man can walk that far if they want to, especially if they are hungry!
Your are thinking in very small terms.
12 miles back into the mountains, unless you really peeved someone off, no one would bother to walk back in to get one or two people...

If a bomb was dropped and some type of chemical agent was released, 12 miles isn't very far either!

thats where i live come into play at..if some other country dropped a bomb or chemical..it'd most n likely be on a larger city.like dallas houston washington dc etc etc..i'm a hours drive from the nearest large city.but the smaller cities/towns is my concern..6 miles from the nearest small city.just ain't far enough for me.

Latest posts

Back