Average preparedness for the seemingly obvious

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petoski

God Like
Reaction score
With the current situation of a volcanic eruption in Hawaii, which would seem to an outsider is a highly likely event for the people living there, I wonder really how prepared was the average member of the population?

True, but how prepared did they HAVE to be? I've been reading about other locals housing some displaced folks, a tent city set up with generators and folks cooking brats on the grill, big screen TV's, the Red Cross is providing warm meals....

Lot's of stories of lost property, but no loss of life, no one sleeping rough on the beach. Seems like the community, to include the local government, WAS prepared.

The only way to be better prepared would be to not live in that area at all.

They certainly need Bug Out Bags , and being a volcanic issue personal respirators, wide brimed hats, and waterproof pochos ( to keep the volvanic dust off you and your kit) Eye protection, drinking and irrigation water. There vehicles must have uprated air intake filters for both the engine and pasenger compartment, very thick truck rated tyres incase they have to drive across hot surfaces of powered volcanic glass etc. It would be a nightmare to plan for effectively. I spose if they lived close to the sea they could keep a boat or jet ski as a BOV ?

Last edited:
If one look at the falls incoming missile alert, nobody was prepared from what I seen on tv or in print so I reckon the same with the volcano.

When Mount St. Helen's blew, the immediate area was evac but no one thought about down stream of the Toutle river and interconnecting rivers!

Last edited:
I would of packed and loaded up everything I needed to,when it all first started.then just sit back n wait till i had to get out.thats when i would of loaded up my dog n me.and move.

The British government would simply pass a law banning eruptions and pyroclastic flows then wonder why the ban did not work

With the current situation of a volcanic eruption in Hawaii, which would seem to an outsider is a highly likely event for the people living there, I wonder really how prepared was the average member of the population?

If I remember rightly, Hawaii has a text message alert service run by the state (remember the the nuclear missile fiasco a few months ago?) so I'm pretty sure all those in the affected regions were alerted. Now whether or not these people took heed of the message is another matter. I'm guessing not as many as should have, as the state then had to issue mandatory evacuations.
I suppose like many communities that are in natural disaster areas, a lot of citizens half expect the state to be prepared for them.
I also think a certain amount of complacency had a lot to do with people not taking the as situation seriously as perhaps they should.

My thought is if you live in an area that is more likely to have a specific type of natural disaster then you’re an idiot if you don’t make at least some kind of preparations for it.

....and we have lots of idiots

Today we have folks building homes about 12 miles from the mountain (they weren't around when the mountain blew in 1980) they have horses but no truck or horse trailer, they have one car for the husband and the wife stays home with no transportation. The line I hear from a lot of young folks is 'I'm not worried I can get help' I'm sure a lot of people thought that in 1980. People see the majestic beauty and ignore the warnings, like in Hawaii were they are forced to evac they leave the pets and bitch that they can't get back in, I have zero sympathy for those people, like the folks here that are unprepared near the mountain, I wouldn't raise a g'damn finger to help them when the time came for evac. Humanity does have it's limits!

....and we have lots of idiots

Today we have folks building homes about 12 miles from the mountain (they weren't around when the mountain blew in 1980) they have horses but no truck or horse trailer, they have one car for the husband and the wife stays home with no transportation. The line I hear from a lot of young folks is 'I'm not worried I can get help' I'm sure a lot of people thought that in 1980. People see the majestic beauty and ignore the warnings, like in Hawaii were they are forced to evac they leave the pets and bitch that they can't get back in, I have zero sympathy for those people, like the folks here that are unprepared near the mountain, I wouldn't raise a g'damn finger to help them when the time came for evac. Humanity does have it's limits!
I always feel in our electrical business that your lack of maintenance doesn’t constitute an emergency on my part. Of course I’d never tell a customer this, but pretty much feel the same way with people in similar types of ‘emergencies ‘.

My thought is if you live in an area that is more likely to have a specific type of natural disaster then you’re an idiot if you don’t make at least some kind of preparations for it.

But But But surely the government / council / police / army will safe us !!! Thats what we pay our taxes for, I demand they save us then house us in a 5* hotel under evening gets back to normal.

Rubbish..... We Brits have more idiots than you Merkins have.

to give you the benfit of doubt

US 330 million people
33million @10%

66 million people
20million @30%

so even giving you higher percentage of idiots we still have you beat, we have more stupid people SE at 50% in the US is liberal voting democraps that 165 million, bigger than the UK, regardless how you cut it we have more stupid people SE.... bahahahaha yanks win again o_O

I always feel in our electrical business that your lack of maintenance doesn’t constitute an emergency on my part. Of course I’d never tell a customer this, but pretty much feel the same way with people in similar types of ‘emergencies ‘.
Ok ..electrical maintenance... what should I be doing? My electrical maintenance consists of changing light bulbs when needed. What am I missing?

Ok ..electrical maintenance... what should I be doing? My electrical maintenance consists of changing light bulbs when needed. What am I missing?
Don’t worry, there isn’t much to do on a house. They are really simple systems. When you get into large commercial systems with 2000amp services or more there are things that need to be looked at periodically. About all you coul do on a residential house is buy a thermal gun. They sell them at Lowe’s, Home Depot or amazon. You just point it at your breakers in the main panel and it reads the temperature. It can tell if a breaker is getting hotter than normal. Even though the tool is pretty inexpensive now, I probably wouldn’t even worry about it. If a breaker fails, then just change it or get someone to. When you’re in a commercial environment and a system going down can cost lots of money, like freezers shutting down, or fans to keep poultry from overheating, then you need to be pro active so you don’t loose product.

Don’t worry, there isn’t much to do on a house. They are really simple systems. When you get into large commercial systems with 2000amp services or more there are things that need to be looked at periodically. About all you coul do on a residential house is buy a thermal gun. They sell them at Lowe’s, Home Depot or amazon. You just point it at your breakers in the main panel and it reads the temperature. It can tell if a breaker is getting hotter than normal. Even though the tool is pretty inexpensive now, I probably wouldn’t even worry about it. If a breaker fails, then just change it or get someone to. When you’re in a commercial environment and a system going down can cost lots of money, like freezers shutting down, or fans to keep poultry from overheating, then you need to be pro active so you don’t loose product.
Wheeew ... thanks

Latest posts

Back