Auto-mechanic + diesel school good for end of the world prep?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Lee

Reaction score
I have no DIY yourself skills in either plumbing, carpentry, welding, mechanical engineering etc. Do you think auto mechanic skills is a good base to spring board into other forms of self sufficiency? Especially in DD or SHTF scenarios?

Job market sucks and been thinking of using my GI Bill to attend.

Heck yes! I have a degree to be a wrench, and I never pay any rip off mechanic to work on my stuff! Being able to fabricate and fix a vehicle is not only handy, but will be sought after in a world relying less on mechanical skill every day. I can take a 200$ car with a blown motor, spend 300 on another motor, then flip it for 2000$ or more. Just saying, I don't even do it for a living, but I used my grant and college money to pay for my tools and do side stuff all the time.

well the question is where do I go to learn? UTI? I am afraid I might not learn anything from the reviews online. Community college?

I have no DIY yourself skills in either plumbing, carpentry, welding, mechanical engineering etc. Do you think auto mechanic skills is a good base to spring board into other forms of self sufficiency? Especially in DD or SHTF scenarios?

Job market sucks and been thinking of using my GI Bill to attend.
I was a 63H (Track Vehicle Repair) in the Army
I am thankful for that as I worked on everything from the old Jeeps to the M1 Abrams. This got me used to all types of engines to include turbine.

I can't imagine who much $$$ I have saved doing my own work!

Yes but I hear diesel can use alternative fuels. Plus someone has to rebuild the machinery of the world, even if it is with steam. :p

Research wood gasifier you can run off burning wood. Takes some fabrication but a basic wood gasifier Can be made with ammo cans and some know how! I watched this guy power his campsite generator off one all weekend long, never once did he add gas, just wood. Mechanical is beyond a car once you have the knowledge. It ties in to all sorts if trades, HVAC, electrical,fabrication,etc. When you consider how many folks who can't or don't know how to change a tire or god forbid a check engine light comes on....just sayin! I did a tech school, went with a lot of great military guys and you will gain a lifetime of knowledge and wrenchin' buddies! I agree a horse is the best apocalyptic option!

Toilet flange cracked .... I had to send a plumber to the rental, $235.00 ..sure he had to pull the toilet but the flange cost is about what 8 to 10 bucks. Plumbers are never out of work.

the newer stuff is all computerized and would be a good way to go , that is what they are teaching at these schools these days from my understanding !
none of the newer stuff will be of any use if a EMP hits gas or diesel !
learn the new stuff but also learn how the the old stuff works !

CATERPILLAR was a good place to get in with they will train you in different fields , pay is good !

Trial and error. You have to be willing to make mistakes as part if any learning process. I would suggest tearing stuff apart and putting it back together. Be comfortable in doing a few things you aren't comfortable with. Build your confidence, then go to school. You will get so much more from school if you have a basic understanding and a few learning experiences prior to enrolling. You might answer your own question as to whether this is something you want to do as a career. I can build a house from septic to shingles. I can build a car from the frame up. Doesn't mean I want to do it everyday. I know from experience that working on cars can piss ya off at times. Anyone who says its all fun is full of crap. If you've built a motor or two you've cussed, hit, or thrown something at some point. I usually do all 3. Some something to take into consideration is that going to school is a specific skill for one thing. To be well rounded you have to do a lot of research and trial and error on your own. There are some skills school cannot teach.

I was a mechanic for 15 years before I went to Nursing School...actually was the first female ASE certified mechanic in the state of Virginia! Anyway, those skills are soooo valuable and once you have tangable skills, no-one can take them from you. My wonderful husband is a master carpenter/craftsman...if its wood, he can build it! However, the poor man does not know a drain plug from a torque wrench! Even though I havent worked as a mechanic in many, many years, those skills prevent us from being taken advantage of by rogue mechanics. Not to mention, I fix our farm equipment and have even learned to take PTO tractor equipment and adapt it to horse-drawn. We now have a gas-driven, hay baler that is pulled byour 4-up hitch of Clydesdales.

Take the opportunity to learn some mechanical skills. I am confident you will always be grateful for the knowledge you will gain.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

im a novice when it comes to being a mechanic.i can change or add oil and other fluieds.change a battary a tire n all.pump the gas.but as for the repairs n all.i leave it to the ones that know.and we do have one garage in town where those folks are honest.as for doing plumbing,some carpentry,roofing and landscapeing.that i can do.mechanical skills can be a major skill when it comes to SHTF.so if you have the chance to learn it and (want to) by all means go for it.you'll at least save money in the long run if nothing else

Mechanics and welding/fabrication are 2 of the best skills/trades that a person can learn. Both of these trades are in very high demand right now and pay very well. These are also essential skills that will be critical if the SHTF. Most schools and training courses today concentrate mostly or only teach the modern electronic controlled engines. These types of engines will be useless if we had an EMP disaster. Try to learn as much as possible about the non-electronically controlled, pre-ULSD engines.

Mechanics and welding/fabrication are 2 of the best skills/trades that a person can learn. Both of these trades are in very high demand right now and pay very well. These are also essential skills that will be critical if the SHTF. Most schools and training courses today concentrate mostly or only teach the modern electronic controlled engines. These types of engines will be useless if we had an EMP disaster. Try to learn as much as possible about the non-electronically controlled, pre-ULSD engines.
Bring back the days before cars were all electronic, things were a lot easier and cheaper to repair.

wow a mechanic would be great you could make all kinds of DIY projects like generators and gasifiers. I always wanted to make a wood gasifier but don't want to risk it exploding since I am not that educated in the field lol

Latest posts

Back