Australian and New to Prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cross By Nature

Reaction score
Hi there
My name is Mackenzie
I'm 19 and live in the Adelaide Hills
I'm new to prepping. I would love to chat with other Preppers about there prepping and get some tips.
I am currently trying to put together a Bug Out Bag and was hoping I could get some tips from people for what kind of things to include in it.

Hi Macca,
Look in the Weapons, Gear and Equipment section for your Bug Out needs.
But since you're 19 and most likely a computer guru, use a search engine on the internet.
Everyone's needs are going to be different.
Get the base idea from the internet and tailor make to your needs.
You can also find the other Aussies on here and start a conversation.

Yo

hey thanks for replying.
I will check out the Weapons, Gear and Equipment sections.
I have been trying to research things on the internet. Unfortunately I have a bad connection an it takes ages for me to load pages. I have been trying to research the basics for survival and the things that I will need.

Water
Food
Weapons
Medication/First Aid
Power
Shelter

Are the basics I know I will need.

That is another issue - internet going down.
See if you can locate a SAS pocket survival book, it will have most of the info you want.

Since your a TAFE Student - check out the TAFE Library. Check the library before you buy anything else.

And if you're fit and healthy - consider joining Army Reserves (ARes). You get paid to learn about stuff you're after.
Even if you do the minimum pre-course training using Tue nights and attend the 4 wk course at Wagga Wagga, you will learn about weapons, first aid, radios, basic field craft, and basic navigation.
Unsure where the nearest ARes unit is to Adelaide Hills.
I am unsure of wait times at the moment but it takes awhile to get through to enlistment.

Yo

That is another issue - internet going down.
See if you can locate a SAS pocket survival book, it will have most of the info you want.

Since your a TAFE Student - check out the TAFE Library. Check the library before you buy anything else.

And if you're fit and healthy - consider joining Army Reserves (ARes). You get paid to learn about stuff you're after.
Even if you do the minimum pre-course training using Tue nights and attend the 4 wk course at Wagga Wagga, you will learn about weapons, first aid, radios, basic field craft, and basic navigation.
Unsure where the nearest ARes unit is to Adelaide Hills.
I am unsure of wait times at the moment but it takes awhile to get through to enlistment.

Yo

I will check out the Library next week. Hopefully I will find a few good books to help me out.

I'll look into the Army Reserves as well.
Thanks for the advice!

Welcome aboard ! water and food first.

Thanks!
Water and Food are probably the Top Priority for all Preppers am I right!

I'm currently looking into Water Filters and Purification Systems. Especially something Small I would be able to carry with me in a Bug out situation.

Welcome to the forum. You might look into Life Straw as a source of a portable water filter.

There are no distributers for Lifestraw in Australia and it isn't sold in every USA State or Territory.
You can only order online if you live in the USA and Canada but there are exclusions to this also.
You can wait until distribution opens up world wide or use another product - water purification pills (you might get used to the taste) and if you have time - boil. There are other filtering products available.
The Army once issued a Millbank Filter (small canvas pouch that filtered the big particles and sludge) followed by adding puritabs, then boiling (time intensive if you're on the move). Improved Army logistics has since cancelled this requirement.

There are no distributers for Lifestraw in Australia and it isn't sold in every USA State or Territory.
You can only order online if you live in the USA and Canada but there are exclusions to this also.
You can wait until distribution opens up world wide or use another product - water purification pills (you might get used to the taste) and if you have time - boil. There are other filtering products available.
The Army once issued a Millbank Filter (small canvas pouch that filtered the big particles and sludge) followed by adding puritabs, then boiling (time intensive if you're on the move). Improved Army logistics has since cancelled this requirement.

I did manage to find a Lifestraw on eBay. I ordered it and hope it comes soon.
I also am going to research more about Water Purification.
I'm really not sure about the Water Purification Pills. How can putting a tablet into dirty water make it drinkable..

There is so much out there, just depends what he is looking for. I carry a life straw in my 3 day bag an a katadyn filter for the B.O.B. There are bottles with filter so you can just dip an go. That's pretty cool if you are moving fast.

Hi there
My name is Mackenzie
I'm 19 and live in the Adelaide Hills
I'm new to prepping. I would love to chat with other Preppers about there prepping and get some tips.
I am currently trying to put together a Bug Out Bag and was hoping I could get some tips from people for what kind of things to include in it.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

G'day from Regional SA. Seem to be getting a few more Aussies here too - which is good.
Totally agree with Strop2 re Army Reserves - you learn a lot of really common sense skills that you will use for the rest of your life. Check out the Dept Defence website, under Army Reserves - I believe there is a unit at Woodside, or else Keswick Barracks will be the closest unit to the hills.
I use water tabs, and have an old army filtration bag. Most camping stores have new up to date filtration systems relatively cheapl - I saw one not long ago the size of a water bottle, that will filter dirty water into clean drinkable water over 300 times.
Again, welcome to the site. It's very informative and level headed.

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

G'day from Regional SA. Seem to be getting a few more Aussies here too - which is good.
Totally agree with Strop2 re Army Reserves - you learn a lot of really common sense skills that you will use for the rest of your life. Check out the Dept Defence website, under Army Reserves - I believe there is a unit at Woodside, or else Keswick Barracks will be the closest unit to the hills.
I use water tabs, and have an old army filtration bag. Most camping stores have new up to date filtration systems relatively cheapl - I saw one not long ago the size of a water bottle, that will filter dirty water into clean drinkable water over 300 times.
Again, welcome to the site. It's very informative and level headed.

Heya
I do think the unit at Woodside is still there but I am not 100% sure because of the refugees that move into the base.
How do you find the Water tabs?
I have been reading different things with them either people saying they are great or a total waste of money and they taste very bad

Boil your water if nothing else. Work on the fire issue till you can get your straw. Pm one of these guys and I'll bet they send you a straw. You will be amazed how willing they are to help someone who's trying to help themselves. Its just those who don't think for themselves and feel like everyone owes them we don't like. Welcome professional prep per. Glad your on my side.

Boil your water if nothing else. Work on the fire issue till you can get your straw. Pm one of these guys and I'll bet they send you a straw. You will be amazed how willing they are to help someone who's trying to help themselves. Its just those who don't think for themselves and feel like everyone owes them we don't like. Welcome professional prep per. Glad your on my side.

Thanks for the tips. I will always make sure to boil any water how ever I can.
I managed to find a Straw on eBay recently which I got just the other day.
I also have some other things that I got from eBay that have gone into my bug out bag
I'm planning on making 2 or 3 and keeping each in different locations. (home, car and somewhere else no one will know)

What I think I need to work on now is Food to keep in a bug out bag something small that will last a while.

Latest posts

Back