Helpful Info. Aussie watchdog

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsywife

Reaction score
I'm new at this game and feel like a fish out of water. Too old to 'bug out' but would love to join a preppers community. Guns are illegal in Aus but that was not always the case, and I learned how to use a rifle when I was young, so I could be a 'watchdog, if it was necessary. I'm a huge fan of self sufficiency and have spent years on farms with cattle, sheep and chickens. My husband (gypsy) Peter and I are retired, and renting in the 'burbs' at the moment, but I'm itching to get back to the bush. I'm a country cook and multi-craftsperson and have an interest in alternative medicine.

Welcome. You sound like an interesting person. I hope you will elaborate on your experiences from time to time.

Welcome to the forum. Would love to read about some of your experiences.

... Guns are illegal in Aus ...

Guns are not illegal in Oz, far from it. I don't think I know anybody with less than 10 although that probably says a lot about the circles I hang out in :). Some types of gun are very difficult to get a license for though, specifically semi-auto and pump shotties, and semi-auto long guns.

And yet lever shotties and pump rifles are just fine. Go figure.

Some calibers are not allowed in some states and some specific guns are not allowed in some states as well because they look scary. In general though all others are readily available.

No we pretty much can't have ARs, AKs and even 10/22s etc which is a bummer, and you guys might think that makes us under gunned, but look at the bright side, nobody else has them either...well I'm sure there are quite a few tucked away, but it's unlikely you'll come up against one if the SHTF.

One big difference however is that they are all recorded and therefore easily confiscated. For a full-on Mad Max scenario that won't matter, but it will if we just get more and more totalitarian.

Ha, I just noticed my avatar, I haven't been here for ages and I'd forgotten about that photo. Ya gotta love a Vaquero wheel gun eh?

Can't say I'm prepping for one event - mainly for anything that results in a collapse of society, and the consequences that follow.
Covid has made me more aware of prepping for another pandemic, though, tbh, getting through covid has been a good test of my preps and plans, which though successful, has given me a broader mindset on other possibilities to prepare for.

Et tu?

Can't say I'm prepping for one event - mainly for anything that results in a collapse of society, and the consequences that follow.
Covid has made me more aware of prepping for another pandemic, though, tbh, getting through covid has been a good test of my preps and plans, which though successful, has given me a broader mindset on other possibilities to prepare for.

Et tu?
My immediate concern is for blackouts. We have a campstove (gas) for cooking, but keeping warm now it's winter, is harder. We don't have a woodstove.

shtf news, check out 'the organicprepper.com.

Et tu?
My biggest concern right now is losing power. We've already had bad weather on the coast with trees down on power lines. The summer before last we were in the bushfire zone and we had to leave the house for a day because of the ash attacks. That's when I got serious about prepping.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums from upstate NY USA
Hello ShadowWolf
What is the situation in New York right now. I read a lot of posts/articles from America and follow blogs like StraightLineLogic. I'm struggling with the forums here, can't find the conditions of use etc. don't know which subjects are banned.

I'm struggling with the forums here, can't find the conditions of use etc. don't know which subjects are banned.
You mean like "How to make an atomic bomb?" Yeah the overlords might object to that one... šŸ˜†
Notice we have a "Politics, Religion and Conspiracy" forum where most of the contentious discussions should go.
Now if someone is just an out and out troll, or is abusive, that is banned, but that's not a "subject", that is behavior.

Latest posts

Back