Armor!!!!!!!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a DYI channel on YT that did that exact thing, This guy used a welding fire blanket / shield / barrier material and it works against many hand gun rounds, failed to stop the rifle rounds. I think maybe a combination of metal insert and the fiberglass + material could be developed / made at home. I do think it is doable, just need to test out various designs and materials.

Yes, you can buy Kevlar. It is used in a lot of things...like fishing line for example.

Kevlar is a brand name for Aramid fiber. A newer, stronger fiber is Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE). It is twice as strong as Kevlar. A couple of brands are Dyneema and Spectra. Spiderwire fishing line is made of Dyneema.

I was looking at an idea similar to Asian paper armor. I would need to do some testing. But my idea would be to combine that and layers of thin metal. Bound by the resin.

If it succeeds it could be used as a substitute ballistic plate. Like those used in military body armor. Maybe even in larger peices on a vehicle.

Can’t kevlar be bought? I’ve heard great things about it being able to stop projectiles and it’s realitively light.

Kevlar body armor is only rated for handgun calibers. Rifle rated body armor has plates. There are many new development in the works. With all the rifle caliber "Pistols" out there, 3A (soft body armor) would not be my recommendation. In fact I told oldest son if he gets hired by a PD, I would get him the best rifle rated body armor, if he would promise to ware it at all times when on duty.

Most modern body armor uses ballistic plates. That are replaceable. That up the survivability of those wearing it. The older soft body armor is great at stopping large slow moving projectiles( think shot gun slugs, 45. Bullets ect.) It is not very good with high speed rifle rounds. If you are really lucky, it will cause high speed rounds to tumble ....

There are the new STF body armors they are developing, that are flexible with body movements. When they are impacted by a bullet or other impact, they absorb and spread out the energy to minimize damage. At least that's how they are supposed to work; I don't know how far along they are in development.

There are the new STF body armors they are developing, that are flexible with body movements. When they are impacted by a bullet or other impact, they absorb and spread out the energy to minimize damage.

"The shield turns the fast blow, admits the slow kindjal!" Remember that from Dune?

You can just buy body armor over the internet, as it's not particularly restricted (except if you're a convicted felon, or wear armor while committing a felony).

Unfortunately, body armor is now getting made in childrens' sizes so neurotic parents can make their kids wear it to school.

Body armor (including the ceramic rifle plates) will not stop certian types of razor broadheads fired from a compound bow.

You can just buy body armor over the internet, as it's not particularly restricted (except if you're a convicted felon, or wear armor while committing a felony).

Unfortunately, body armor is now getting made in childrens' sizes so neurotic parents can make their kids wear it to school.

Body armor (including the ceramic rifle plates) will not stop certian types of razor broadheads fired from a compound bow.
Most body armor is designed to stop bullets, which is a high-speed blunt trauma so I can see how it would be ineffective against a sharp arrowpoint.

you will need chain mail to stop an edged weapon, that's what its designed for but its heavy.
I bet there are hi-tech armors that can stop edged weapons (maybe based on the "cut-proof" technologies they use in travel purses), but that's generally not the focus of modern body armor development.

Back to the original question, I was wondering if you were referring to wearable armor or more protective shielding? No body armor is perfect and if it will stop everything from razor sharp crossbow bolts to pistols to 7.62mm AP rounds I'm sure it would be unwieldy and end up causing more problems than solving. Besides once it is known you are wearing it, they will just aim at the unprotected parts!

Latest posts

Back