Must Read Are you ready?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That article says "If you have ever been publicly critical of the government, there is a very good chance that you are on that list." That's about every democrat in the last three years.

In other news, ALL of my guns fell off my boat yesterday.

That article says "If you have ever been publicly critical of the government, there is a very good chance that you are on that list." That's about every democrat in the last three years.

In other news, ALL of my guns fell off my boat yesterday.
What a coincidence! I lost all mine in a boating accident too! And I hit my head and now I can't remember which lake I was on.

Look what happened in NYC in 1977 when the power went out for less than 24 hours.
1,616 stores were damaged in looting and rioting.
1,037 fires were responded to.
3,776 people were arrested.
This seems to be more of a problem in urban centers than rural areas. The power was out in our community for more than 2 weeks after hurricane Katrina and there wasn't that much increase in crime. Of course New Orleans went to s*** much quicker than that (but they also had much bigger problems).

This seems to be more of a problem in urban centers than rural areas. The power was out in our community for more than 2 weeks after hurricane Katrina and there wasn't that much increase in crime. Of course New Orleans went to s*** much quicker than that (but they also had much bigger problems).
Well it’s a good sign that where you live held together during those two weeks. I think Texas likely has more self reliant people than any other state.

I agree with you that we won’t likely see the power go out. I completely disagree over it not being a big deal. That alone would kill millions. Most Americans couldn’t survive three months without it. Not just foods but medicines, transportation, water pumps, everything our society depends on. There would be rioting and looting beyond imagination.
3 months?? hell, try 3 WEEKS more like, most people wont survive for long without electricity, especially in a cold winter, they'll start trying to light a wood fire in their living rooms or cooking on a camp stove indoors with no ventilation, that should trim the numbers a bit.

I agree with you that we won’t likely see the power go out. I completely disagree over it not being a big deal. That alone would kill millions. Most Americans couldn’t survive three months without it. Not just foods but medicines, transportation, water pumps, everything our society depends on. There would be rioting and looting beyond imagination.
I work with electric utilities all over the US. What I'm hearing from them is that they plan to operate as normal until they get to about a 40% infection rate. To be clear, they are taking substantial steps to protect their workers (only one lineman per truck, mandatory work from home if you can, no outside contractors or vendors allowed on premises ect). At 40% they wont have enough arms to turn wrenches and construction will slow. I think the power will continue to flow as normal unless we have some sort of storm (hurricane, spring ice storm, solar ect). A big storm, will take longer to get the juice flowing if it hits when these guys are out sick. Hurricane season doesn't start for a bit, so hopefully we get over the hump on this thing before we get to June... I'm worried about a April ice/blizzard even like we had last year. That would be ugly!

It’s that time of year anyways. I think it’s just one tool for preppers to use but very well may be an important one this year.
its unusual around here, I could count on the fingers of one hand the people that regularly garden, most garden are kids playgrounds with the usual plastic toys and trampolines.

My first money making was with an old lawnmower I was given when the neighbor bought a new one. I cleaned it up, filled a 1 gallon gas can for $0.17 (17 cents) and went out to mow front lawns for 10 cents and back yards for 25 cents back in 1967 in Ft. Worth. My first money...

its unusual around here, I could count on the fingers of one hand the people that regularly garden, most garden are kids playgrounds with the usual plastic toys and trampolines.
That’s a sure sign of affluence. During the depression here almost everyone had a backyard garden. When things get tough people start learning what’s important. For most eating is at the top of the list.

My first money making was with an old lawnmower I was given when the neighbor bought a new one. I cleaned it up, filled a 1 gallon gas can for $0.17 (17 cents) and went out to mow front lawns for 10 cents and back yards for 25 cents back in 1967 in Ft. Worth. My first money...
That and raking leaves! I learned early on that having a little money opened all kinds of possibilities to you. I grew up poor and will never forget going to the local steak house and buying a meal of sirloin tips and rice for the first time. I was about twelve and went with lawn money by myself. That sense of independence and satisfaction has driven me to work hard my whole life.

I tried to save the money I made. Even started polishing shoes in a barber shop. Put it into a savings account. Actually got up to $21.00 saved. I needed to get $20 for a bicycle at the 5 and 10 cent store (five and dime). Went to the bank to pick up $20 and get the bike, and the asshole told me it would be a $5 process charge since I did not leave the money on the account at least 1 year. Walked away with $16, could not buy the bike, never trusted a bank with my savings again to this day. Checking or working account, but NO SAVINGS accounts since then...Burned fingers hurt forever. GP

The price per gallon of gas in my neck of the woods has dropped almost $1.00 since this virus hit, so I’ve been filling up numerous 5 gallon cans as quickly as possible.
We're still at $2.56 per gallon here. With crude oil at around $21 per barrel there's no reason for gas to be over $1 per gallon. Except of course for federal, state, local taxes ect.
I'm ordering 2-350 gallon fuel tanks, 1 for diesel and 1 for gasoline. I buy off-road diesel and avoid most taxes.

Out here in The Peoples Republic of Kaliforni
We're still at $2.56 per gallon here. With crude oil at around $21 per barrel there's no reason for gas to be over $1 per gallon. Except of course for federal, state, local taxes ect.
I'm ordering 2-350 gallon fuel tanks, 1 for diesel and 1 for gasoline. I buy off-road diesel and avoid most taxes.

The local, state and federal taxes on gasoline here are around $.38 per gallon. :mad:

I tried to save the money I made. Even started polishing shoes in a barber shop. Put it into a savings account. Actually got up to $21.00 saved. I needed to get $20 for a bicycle at the 5 and 10 cent store (five and dime). Went to the bank to pick up $20 and get the bike, and the asshole told me it would be a $5 process charge since I did not leave the money on the account at least 1 year. Walked away with $16, could not buy the bike, never trusted a bank with my savings again to this day. Checking or working account, but NO SAVINGS accounts since then...Burned fingers hurt forever. GP
Even today many banks have fees and service charges. It’s nuts to pay someone to hold your money! Even paying interest isn’t very smart. It’s all brilliant for the banks but I like to keep the money I work hard for. If you can’t pay cash then you can’t afford it.....

That and raking leaves! I learned early on that having a little money opened all kinds of possibilities to you. I grew up poor and will never forget going to the local steak house and buying a meal of sirloin tips and rice for the first time. I was about twelve and went with lawn money by myself. That sense of independence and satisfaction has driven me to work hard my whole life.
My first job outside of home was working on the neighbors ranch. I think I was 10 or 11 at that time. He had an old paint cow horse that I wanted. We agreed on $135 for it, a little expensive at the time. I think he credited me like 50 cents per hour and I worked for almost a year for that horse. I started trapping about that same time too. At that age my dad said I was old enough to pay my own way and if I wanted something I had to earn it myself. I've never been without a job or money since then.

Latest posts

Back