Are you all happy with your kit and preps?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillMasen

A True Doomsday Prepper
Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering if the community is happy and settled with your preps, tools, vehicles, food, medical gear, reserves, vehicles, guns, security measures, EDC, GHB/BOB, etc ?? There does not appear to be very much new discussion or debate occuring on the essentials of our prepping on the forum mainly just politics and crime conversations.

What are you changing, updating, repairing, modifying, replacing, buying, building, training for as we move towards 2020? Because I think the twenties is going to be very a volatile time for westerners.

the 2020s are certainly going to be interesting for us Brits Bill as we move out from under the EU umbrella and stand on our own two feet as an independent nation once again.
as for my own preps, I wouldn't do anything different but I would have bought less of the small bits and pieces that I have accumulated.
I do tend to think prepping is keeping the "consumer society" going in one way and another!!

20+ years has given me more insight. I really haven’t wasted much at all but would do some things differently now. One thing to note too is my financial status has improved now, so looking back I did well with the resources available at the time. The biggest thing is after getting my pantry well stocked with stuff I allready eat I would have started getting freeze dried foods for long term storage. They are pricey but will last so much better than home saved foods.

I have recently been looking into drones for post SHTF uses. Finding drones that will work properly without possible GPS system in place or functioning properly.

We are also working on our solor powered video surveillance system and wireless alarms.

I have recently been looking into drones for post SHTF uses. Finding drones that will work properly without possible GPS system in place or functioning properly.

We are also working on our solor powered video surveillance system and wireless alarms.
I’m on the fence about electric and electronic powered devices. Yes they definitely have advantages but if the grid goes down keeping them going for long term would be an effort. I’m still on the fence about solar for the house too. The battery lifespan is my biggest concern. I guess though even without batteries you could still just have electricity for the daytime, which would still be a huge help. Going back to the stone ages would be difficult.

My preps are more about building an independent, self sufficient homestead. We're about 90% complete with the construction of the buildings, purchasing of tools, livestock, and equipment. I am planning on buying some additional grazing land at a lower elevation that will help reduce some of our feed costs.
My 2020 construction plans include; drilling a new well, building an additional barn, equipment shed, new chicken coop, plant more fruit trees, add a wind generator and seeding more pasture. That's enough. I'm already tired.

I’m on the fence about electric and electronic powered devices. Yes they definitely have advantages but if the grid goes down keeping them going for long term would be an effort. I’m still on the fence about solar for the house too. The battery lifespan is my biggest concern.
I've given this some thought, and I think one possible long term solution (independent of how you generate it) is to store energy by pumping water up into a high water tower. Then you can use a hydro generator to recover it. Any source of energy can be used - steam engine, windmill, water wheel, etc. You can also use the water pressure as a direct energy source instead of generating electricity first.

I've seen plans for systems that use a windmill to generate electricity first, then use the electricity to pump water up into a water tank, but that seems inefficient to me when you can use the windmill directly for pumping water.

Many of the old Midwestern windmills were for pumping water, so this is really nothing new, just how the water is used after it's pumped.
iu

In my case, the BOL has a 1600' deep artesian well, so we would not even need to pump the water into the tank.

Last edited:
I'v gotten a new battery for my trailer for the lighting and toilett. Another solar cell for charging all my batteries, an 800 watt infrared heating panel, gave away my wax-cloth (heavy) jackets and gotten fleece/polyester jackets for my winter clothing. A new alcohol stove, re-built my gasoline latern and bought some wool socks...wish my retirement would go through so I could start moving to Hungary tho........:rolleyes:

I'm going old school, I will live post SHTF the way I lived when I was off grid, all manual, get up just before dawn and go to bed when its too dark to do anything, no solar panels or wind turbines to attract attention. not stone age but using the methods of my ancestors who were all farmers and fishermen. no man made chemicals, fertilisers or pesticides, these wont be available post SHTF as they are all imported here, everything will be natural.

Nothing like mushrooms and potatoes from behind the outhouse...gotta admit tho, If and when we survive the SHTF OR TEOTWAWKI, we'll have to do with which we get, make, find or create ourselves. Wanna go and start in Hungary SO BAD I can taste it. Have a nice New Year in the boondocks bigpaul, thanks for writing so often...GP

I’m on the fence about electric and electronic powered devices. Yes they definitely have advantages but if the grid goes down keeping them going for long term would be an effort. I’m still on the fence about solar for the house too. The battery lifespan is my biggest concern. I guess though even without batteries you could still just have electricity for the daytime, which would still be a huge help. Going back to the stone ages would be difficult.
You can store extra batteries and switch them out after a few years.

Me, I plan on getting solar in my new house, but also having a diesel generator.

A diesel generator can run off of processed vegetable oil (see earlier posts about the Chinese tallow tree-Triadica sebifera-which is used for fuel, oil, lubricants, hide processing, and so on).

The point--in my mind--is to have some electricity available, but it doesn't seem realistic to expect that we can run our houses like nothing happened after the shit hits the fan.

I plan on keeping a few chest-style freezers running, occasional computer or television use once in a while, charging batteries for lanterns, and occasionally running a window air conditioner.

I'll also have a wine storage cooler to keep medications cool to prevent deterioration in the Florida heat.

What else do you need electricity for?

where would you get the vegetable oil once TSHTF? its unlikely the local Chinese take-away would still be functioning.
I lived for 12 years off-grid without electricity of any sort and TBH I didn't miss it one bit, but I wasn't trying to live a 21st century style life, simpler times.

Last edited:
where would you get the vegetable oil once TSHTF? its unlikely the local Chinese take-away would still be functioning.
I lived for 12 years off-grid without electricity of any sort and TBH I didn't miss it one bit, but I wasn't trying to live a 21st century style life, simpler times.
I understand.

My vegetable oil will come from the chinese tallow tree. It's an invasive species here in Florida, and grows all over the place.

The plant was originally brought here by Benjamin Franklin, who got seeds in England and shipped them to Georgia.

Rapeseed oil the UK grows millions of tons of it.

There also seems a possibility of a woodgas generator, which is a generator that runs off of burning hardwood.

It seems wonderful in theory, but my recent research seems to show that this idea is nowhere near as practical as it seems . . . so I'm now steering away from it (despite my earlier position in other threads) and trying to move the vegetable oil generator forward seems like a better idea.

yes but how does an ordinary person process it once TSHTF??
once TSHTF my need for oil will cease.

Your need may cease, but for many other survivors there will be a need for both mineral oil, veg oil and fuel oil for many years. Thousands of small biodiesel making plants have been sold to farmers and the public over the years, they can easily be adapted to use rape-seed. loads of info out there for extracting oil from plants for those who need it. The farmer near me grows, harvests and processes all of his own seed rape he make the cooking version out of it, and the biodiesel version of it and the waste plant material even gets used as fuel to warm his drying sheds.

Latest posts

Back