Aquaponics?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiesrreal

Reaction score
I have recently been researching aquaponics and aeroponics just wondering if either one is worth it and do they produce as much as they say they do?

From what I've heard...the short answer is yes. However, the longer answer is that it is a lot more hands on than traditional gardening, so a lot more difficult to do unless it simply is what you do all day.
I don't have any hands on experience to give, just what I've discussed with some local farmers in passing.

Plus, there's a lot more equipment and setup involved than in your traditional home garden.

I have an aquaponics setup. Love it. It's not any trouble at all once it's all together and going. It is a balance between fish and plants. Food can grow twice as fast. Water usage is minimal; you recirculate the water already in the system.

As I recall though, the setup is rather costly, and of course, depends on having power to keep the whole deal going. Of course, if you had solar power for the setup, then you're golden, but again, more $$$ for establishing it.

Gaz is right, aquaponics is really expensive to get set up. A friend of mine, who's retired with a lot of income and free time recently set a really nice place up. He's got well over 10k in it. Yes he does produce a lot of veggies, but if you're doing the math on it, it's just not practical. All the pond liners need to be food grade plastic, as well as the float trays, etc. don't get me wrong, I love an efficient way to do things, there just needs to be a balance with cost and productivity.
I made a greenhouse, and have an outdoor garden as well. The greenhouse really does produce better, probably twice as much. I have a lot of recycled material in it, so probably have less than 500.00 in it, (where I have seen some that cost thousands). I'm glad I made the effort to build it, as it's worked out for me. I am still producing bell peppers in it, where the gardens all died 6 weeks ago when the first cold night hit. When you're working in a project like these, remember that the plans for it are flexible. If you can change something minor, because you found a deal on one of the supplies, work with it.

We get enough sun and rain here, that traditional farming is an easy solution.

I've seen aquaponics set up quite cheaply, but not dead cheaply using second hand IBC containers and a single solar powered pump, depending on where you are you can grow Tilapia or Carp, dunno what is normal for the US though?, Pangacious catfish are supposed to taste the same as Cod ?

I've seen aquaponics set up quite cheaply, but not dead cheaply using second hand IBC containers and a single solar powered pump, depending on where you are you can grow Tilapia or Carp, dunno what is normal for the US though?, Pangacious catfish are supposed to taste the same as Cod ?
brim are pretty common here too.

I had asked around for these IBC (intermediate bulk storage containers) that I had seen used in videos and I could not find what they were called! Thank you.
As it stands even a 100 gallon fish tank (which is largely inadequate in growing a decent amount of produce let alone, not going to be housing any of the more common aquaponic fish used to eat) can fetch about 200-300$ for a used one on offerup in my area https://offerup.com/item/detail/276...t_source=srchb25bb65166fe44a0aaddc8ae9affe42a
but if these listings are correct on Google there are several sources for reconditioned food grade 275 gallon IBC's.

This guy seems to have come up with a relatively cheap setup that generates more electricity than his setup uses.

^(do yourself a favor, start it at 30 seconds and set the speed using the gear on the bottom right to 1.25 speed. )

This is an interesting side project I definitely want to look more into. I am in a house currently and I rent unfortunately as it limits my options.

-Fun side caveat if I am correct in understanding a gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs so that would put one of those containers at well over 2200 lbs with water weight alone... severely limiting ones options on where to put it.

The garage comes to mind

Last edited:
I really think there is great
Potential in this, but the start up costs are just too much for me to see it as practical. I have small creek to play with for fish, but haven't tried any plants yet.

Undeniably overall I'm sure there are better options. Admittedly it's been more of an interest of mine as I like having fish.
My soil is definitely bad here though, basically desert. I've tried some things like composting and I'm spoiled having come from Honolulu born and raised but I can't seem to get anything to grow or stay alive out here.

Any suggestions for me to look into? It's more the yard limits my options. It's got about 50'x50' I can use easily but it's desert dust and high temperatures. I'd grow just about anything beneficial that an amateur could manage -_-

The whole point and advantage of a greenhouse is a controlled environment. It can’t control it perfectly without a large expense of heating and cooling, but with simple tricks you can moderate the temperature extremes enough to grow most of the year cheaply. The water barrels help hold heat for the nighttime hours and a shade cloth can help prevent overheating during daytime. A mister can both water and cool at the same time. All the things I have learned about gardening combined didn’t do as much as building the greenhouse did to increase yield.

Aquaponics is the farming of the future. No top soil erosion, no nutrient pollution, 90% less fresh water and energy for food production, 40% more food on 90% less land, 90% less labor and time , easy to learn, no chemical nutrients, pesticides, or herbicides needed, and aquaponics can be adapted to climate change. Traditional farming "monoculture" will not be able to feed future populations, only aquaponics will be able to produce 50% more food using 50% less resources. At edensreturn.com we offer a complete aquaponic greenhouse kit that will produce up to 6,500 pounds of organic food annually on less than 500 square feet for under $3,000. The advantage of using our system is you will be able to produce all the aquaponic inputs right at home including electricity if using our off grid package. The average household spends over $6,500 a year on food but with our aquaponics system could reduce that to zero.

The off grid solar panel, battery bank, and zones 7-10 aquaponic greenhouse kit would be $4,498 with shipping included anywhere in the lower USA.

I had asked around for these IBC (intermediate bulk storage containers) that I had seen used in videos and I could not find what they were called! Thank you.
As it stands even a 100 gallon fish tank (which is largely inadequate in growing a decent amount of produce let alone, not going to be housing any of the more common aquaponic fish used to eat) can fetch about 200-300$ for a used one on offerup in my area https://offerup.com/item/detail/276...t_source=srchb25bb65166fe44a0aaddc8ae9affe42a
but if these listings are correct on Google there are several sources for reconditioned food grade 275 gallon IBC's.

This guy seems to have come up with a relatively cheap setup that generates more electricity than his setup uses.

^(do yourself a favor, start it at 30 seconds and set the speed using the gear on the bottom right to 1.25 speed. )

This is an interesting side project I definitely want to look more into. I am in a house currently and I rent unfortunately as it limits my options.

-Fun side caveat if I am correct in understanding a gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs so that would put one of those containers at well over 2200 lbs with water weight alone... severely limiting ones options on where to put it.

The garage comes to mind

There is a guy here who sells used IBCs. Cleaned up, a 275 gallon is $105 and a 330 gallon is $135. He has a BUNCH of them, but when I've been there he sells a lot. Dunno where he's getting them. We bought some steel drums to store stuff in so we don't have mice moving in. We also bought some olive barrels there to make rain barrels out of. Worked great for that....

I'd bet somebody does the same near you.

Years ago I worked at a remote, year round very cold, location with limited fresh food shipments. The company set up an aquaponic system. It produced very well. From what I remember it didn't seem like it was too much trouble to operate and maintain, but was very expensive.

That's just it, it's a lot of front end cost, but is fairly self maintained as long as you have constant and consistent power. It's actually not a bad price overall, just a bit rich for my wallet. I would definitely have to research it more.

Latest posts

Back