Anyone up for a sail?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

survivalist

Reaction score
So I was thinking....(ut oh here he goes again lol) Between bugging out and bugging in? I have a new idea...Bug in with the family, till I know whats going on, then head to a nearby marina and steal a sailboat! Being an offshore racer, I would just take the race boat but, a gallon a minute isnt gonna get me too far. Lol. A sail boat needs no sources and can get away from mobs. Any feedback on this idea?

So I was thinking....(ut oh here he goes again lol) Between bugging out and bugging in? I have a new idea...Bug in with the family, till I know whats going on, then head to a nearby marina and steal a sailboat! Being an offshore racer, I would just take the race boat but, a gallon a minute isnt gonna get me too far. Lol. A sail boat needs no sources and can get away from mobs. Any feedback on this idea?
sounds like a superior idea especially since I have several marinas around me.
My only problem is I don't know how to use a sail boat. I know nothing of sailing.
This is an idea I have thought of in the past, but only motor boats.
However hard to fill up in the middle of the ocean.

I dont know how to sail either, but i figure i will cast the lines, let the current take me out, and I will figure it out once Im out in the big blue. Lol At least I will get my family away from the danger zone. I thought motor boats too but gas could b short and there is usually only 1 pump per marina. Worst case I guess you could siphon from other boats, thay may be a forgotten source of fuel?

I dont know how to sail either, but i figure i will cast the lines, let the current take me out, and I will figure it out once Im out in the big blue. Lol At least I will get my family away from the danger zone. I thought motor boats too but gas could b short and there is usually only 1 pump per marina. Worst case I guess you could siphon from other boats, thay may be a forgotten source of fuel?
I would most likely use the motor to get out of dodge then switch to sails. Reserving the motor for emergencies.

I don't know how to sail either, but i figure i will cast the lines, let the current take me out, and I will figure it out once Im out in the big blue. Lol At least I will get my family away from the danger zone. I thought motor boats too but gas could b short and there is usually only 1 pump per marina. Worst case I guess you could siphon from other boats, thay may be a forgotten source of fuel?
Hi survivalist, not knowing how to sail can be severely detrimental to your health if you are going to use the ocean as a bug out, it is a severe and unforgiving environment if you don't know what you are doing. If you don't understand the basics of sail and rigging there is a good chance of capsize, don't get me wrong it is a very rewarding way of life, I have been living aboard my 48foot ocean going yacht for the past 5 years and sailed worldwide single handed, I have mapped out some of the most beautiful and remote places on earth that are conducive to surviving comfortably for years, the only downside of this way of life is the limited amount of space on board, weight is a serious issue to consider. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Hi survivalist, not knowing how to sail can be severely detrimental to your health if you are going to use the ocean as a bug out, it is a severe and unforgiving environment if you don't know what you are doing. If you don't understand the basics of sail and rigging there is a good chance of capsize, don't get me wrong it is a very rewarding way of life, I have been living aboard my 48foot ocean going yacht for the past 5 years and sailed worldwide single handed, I have mapped out some of the most beautiful and remote places on earth that are conducive to surviving comfortably for years, the only downside of this way of life is the limited amount of space on board, weight is a serious issue to consider. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
You would think living on the cost for some 3o plus years I would have learned a thing or two about sailing.

Hey Chris,
You are absolutly right about what you said. I agree If you dont know what your doing, you will most likely kill yourself. Thats why I am bringing it up now, so anyone who may think this is an option can start to learn about it now. I have grown up around the ocean and (your arch enemy) Powerboat racing lol. I do know the fundementals of it all, understand currents how to read water ect but sailing is a whole nother game. I would like to learn about it for the in case situation. I think marinas will be forgotten in a shtf situation because most people wont know what to do. Thats why I'm throwing it out there. Hey look at it this way, all us preppers can meet out in the big blue, and become pirates lol. I'll be the one wavin the pirate flag off the mast. Lol

Hey survivalist, you are in a good place insofar as understanding the ocean, learning to sail is not as difficult as it is made out to be, at the very least a 5 or 6 day course in sailing is good, there is a course called a compitent crew certification, this will teach you the basics of yacht handling. Well worth the cash spent, and who knows the bug may bite you.

Hey survivalist, you are in a good place insofar as understanding the ocean, learning to sail is not as difficult as it is made out to be, at the very least a 5 or 6 day course in sailing is good, there is a course called a compitent crew certification, this will teach you the basics of yacht handling. Well worth the cash spent, and who knows the bug may bite you.
I know there a bunch of courses out here in the Newport Beach, CA area. If i had the disposable income I would be in it.

ahh the great wide open ocean!

let me just say: 性交 that!

go ahead and sail, without knowledge of sailing. then you also have wind currents as well as water currents, or need of gass/diesel depending on boat, then you have to think about natural patterns per capita depending on the situation, like tital waves, tsunamis etc. that may be going off.
screw a boat im ALL GOOD on land!

ahh the great wide open ocean!

let me just say: 性交 that!

go ahead and sail, without knowledge of sailing. then you also have wind currents as well as water currents, or need of gass/diesel depending on boat, then you have to think about natural patterns per capita depending on the situation, like tital waves, tsunamis etc. that may be going off.
screw a boat im ALL GOOD on land!
LOL!
It is true there is a safety issue not realized on land. But you do not have to float around the world if you don't want to. you could go off shore a decent distance and then drop anchor.

At this point with my nautical know how it is highly unlikely that I will be venturing out to the deep blue sea.

LOL, too true!
i may go out a bit and fish but im not going adventuring.

hey dont live on boats have desalinization for fresh water on them?

LOL, too true!
i may go out a bit and fish but im not going adventuring.

hey dont live on boats have desalinization for fresh water on them?
Any ocean going boats do have desalinization units on board, mine does round 10 gal in 8 hours

I went drift boat fishing a couple of times, the last one was on rough. I swore to myself that if I lived to see land I would never go back. I havent. You can keep that big water.

Ahhhhh, there ya go, fresh water, fish (food). What is nice is a sailboat requires no fuel, unless you want to use the outboard motor. Once you are far enough away like mentioned earlier...you can anchor in safety I wouldnt worry too much about tsunamis, you really wouldnt feel it offshore, it would be more like a little bump lol. If you look it up on you tube, you will see actual coverage from a sailboat going over the tsunami in CA that came from japan. You are in a safe house so to speak and can go as far offshore or as close inland that you want. A tidal wave......head at it at a 45°anglebend down and kiss your ### goodbye, but maybe you can stick the nose through her and go for a ride. Sailboats can rolland reposition themselves. I have stuck a 40' cigarette through a 30' wave at 90 mph and didnt even get wet! Unless you are far inland, a tidal wave is going to consume land as well. I'm not saying its the best idea, but food for thought Even if you just anchor in harbor with your family, until things settle down and you have a game plan as to where to go?

Ahhhhh, there ya go, fresh water, fish (food). What is nice is a sailboat requires no fuel, unless you want to use the outboard motor. Once you are far enough away like mentioned earlier...you can anchor in safety I wouldnt worry too much about tsunamis, you really wouldnt feel it offshore, it would be more like a little bump lol. If you look it up on you tube, you will see actual coverage from a sailboat going over the tsunami in CA that came from japan. You are in a safe house so to speak and can go as far offshore or as close inland that you want. A tidal wave......head at it at a 45°anglebend down and kiss your ### goodbye, but maybe you can stick the nose through her and go for a ride. Sailboats can rolland reposition themselves. I have stuck a 40' cigarette through a 30' wave at 90 mph and didnt even get wet! Unless you are far inland, a tidal wave is going to consume land as well. I'm not saying its the best idea, but food for thought Even if you just anchor in harbor with your family, until things settle down and you have a game plan as to where to go?
remember the movie "Perfect Storm"?
dont think id ever want that possability.

Latest posts

Back