Anyone own a Jeep Wrangler?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Lee

Reaction score
I need to buy a used car, and those look fun, and might be a good start for me to learn about auto maintenance.

I've owned cars in the past but know diddly squat about them, my friend said that they were easy to use.

Thinking it would be a fun outdoorsy car that I can use off road too in bad situations.

I need to buy a used car, and those look fun, and might be a good start for me to learn about auto maintenance.

I've owned cars in the past but know diddly squat about them, my friend said that they were easy to use.

Thinking it would be a fun outdoorsy car that I can use off road too in bad situations.
I wish I did! I used to work on Jeeps in the Army, and they are very easy to work with.... At least the ones in the Army were/are.

A friend of mine HAD one for several years. He got to where he hated it. It was loud, rough riding, hard on fuel and cramped for space. It was fun in the summer when it was hot out. He especially hated it in the winter months. Being your from New York that would be something to consider.

Well I am going to head to even colder parts like New Hampshire, but the cold never really bothered me much and I would just throw a coat and hat on. Was thinking it would make a neat little scout/recon car in a SHTF scenario which would range in front of the main convoy. Plus looking for something easy to maintain as my first experience with getting my hands dirty with a car.

I have ridden in them. They are fun little rigs in the summer with the top off. If I could afford to have one as a play vehicle I would get one. Just park it in the snow months. Having little grandkids I don't think G-ma would go for it! Guess I have to settle for the mini-van with the sun roof.....lol.

I have a 2012 4 door wrangler. Its my Daily Driver. I have a 3" lift w/35" Toyos on all 4 corners. Its a little rough riding but over all I love it. The '12s and newer have the new 3.6L engine w/improved hp, torque, and fuel economy. I also have the rag top and its been greatly improved for noise reduction and not bad at all. This is my 2nd Jeep, I had an 94 2 door wrangler in college w/a 4 cyl. and it was a dog, no power and no AC. Living in the south it was horrible. BTW the AC/heater blower in the '12s and newer are great as well. I would highly recommend the Wrangler but look at the newer ones the older ones are way underpowered.

PS. The 4 door Jeeps have the highest 5 yr resale value of 56.7% and have one of the best insurance crash ratings on the market

I have a 2007 Jeep Rubicon that I bought new. It has 24,000 miles now. I mounted a Mile Marker 12,000 lb hydraulic winch on an ARB bumper with off road lights. I carry several nylon tow straps and a "dead man" in case I get stuck in an area that doesn't have trees, which happens a lot in Alaska. For winter I run Nokien studded tires all around. I've owned 4 wheel drive vehicles my whole life, even before they became "cool" to own. The Rubicon is the best SUV that I've ever had so far, but for me, its a little under powered. I'm looking for a pre-emission V-8 to replace the factory V-6. It rides nice, is quite, and it gets about 20 mpg. I would highly recommend one of the newer Wranglers to anyone who wants a real SUV.

I was looking at some of the older ones because my budget is tight, and I have decided not to. Too many rusted floor pans. That is going to be an issue when I move to NH. The snow and salt.

I've got a wrangler Kenny ( my wife does) in my opinion ....it sucks.its loud with the soft top. Gets pathetic gas milage .won't haul crap.way underpowered. Expensive to maintain. Rides like a D9 caterpillar. Way overrated.....but man .....she looks hot in it with the top down.
Get an old bronco from the late 60 s early 70s. Much better off road machine in my opinion.

a bronco a blazer or surburben is what id go with if i was to with a suv on acount of more space for loading stuff into it.but id go with a truck,on acount im a pickup truck person..

Me too Kenny. But if you are going to stay in new Hampshire , you can have respect even driving a Volkswagen.......not down here. That just cries out to rednecks...." have your way with me" .

other then gas millage vw's is one vehicale i would'nt have.thier just not safe enough for me to drive down the road.especilly seeing how some folks drive as if thier 2 weeks late to thier own funeral

Everyone drives fast in Texas. Heck, the other day, I was doing 80 in the slow lane , and I got passed on the right by the guy mowing the ditches on a lawn mower.

If you are dead-set on a Jeep, I'd avoid the Wranger...especially the 1980's series. They were plagued with issues, none of which were cheap: clutches and slave cylinders just to start the list. I have an 1983 CJ5 that I simply love! No fuel injection, an engine that is simple to work on, parts are cheap...it will climb a tree (should I have any desire to go up there), mine is a soft top and the heater is way warm despite what everyone will tell ya and I live at 8300' elevation here in Colorado! I bought it a couple years back for $2800 and being a Colorado vehicle, we have NO rust.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I had a 99 wrangler, its a good factory offroad machine and the drivetrain was solid and dependable. The only bad is that it sucked gas, it got MAYBE 16mpg and that was only if you were going downhill with a tailwind in a hurricane, seriously I have had big blocks that got better mpg than that 4.0 liter inline six did the newer 2004 and later v6's are supposed to be better in that department. Oh and my heater was good to about -40 f, I live in interior Alaska and that was good enough for me.

Hmmm...I wanted a wrangler before but now I'm not so sure. CJ series still sounds okay. I got the inexpensive little brother, a Geo Tracker, last year. Only payed $1,500 for her. She runs really well but being from 1994 needed a little bit of maintenance. Get's GREAT gas (small enough you can get into even those parking spaces that jerks don't leave enough room in when they decide to try to take two spaces) and hasn't been too hard to fix thus far. It is a little cold in the winter being a soft top but the heat does work okay and I'm usually wearing a good coat in the winter. Mine isn't AWD but you can get them as such. The biggest thing I had to get used to was no power steering. I think this has been my favorite car thus far and love it.

If you want a Jeep, I would go with an older Cherokee or Wagoneer. We had one where I grew up in Upstate NY and had a 6ft plow on it and used it for plowing snow. Great 4x4 and you can pick them up pretty cheap.

Latest posts

Back