Anyone had group of 100+ for more than 10 years?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the lead vapor comes from shooting open base FMJ bullets and conventionally lubed lead bullets. Part of the base of the bullet gets vaporized by the heat and pressure of being fired. Switch to TMJ (Total Metal Jacket), hollow points or plated, and use powder coated lead bullets instead of conventionally lubed lead bullets.

In recent years the high muzzle blast cartridges like 25-06, 270, 30-06, 9mm, 454 Casull etc. just don't get shot much anymore. Instead I'm either shooting low velocity large caliber cartridges, or high velocity low powder capacity cartridges. In handguns I'm primarily shooting 44 Special (home defense), 45 ACP and 45 Colt. In rifles one of my favorites is lower level (Trapdoor Springfield safe) loads in 45-70...you'd be amazed how much damage a 300 grain hollow point at 1600 fps can do. And my other favorite a 6.5mm Wildcat that comes close to 6.5 Creedmoor performance with 10 grains less powder. 6.5 Grendel is similar to the wildcat but a couple hundred FPS slower. And like the wildcat I shoot, the Grendel is an extremely tame round, both for recoil and muzzle blast. Your ears will adore it...

Shotgun or 223 indoors is out of the question...too loud. I use a 45 ACP home defense carbine. With a much longer barrel than a handgun it pushes what is normally a 850 fps load in a handgun to a devastating 1000 fps (45 Colt level), and does it with much less noise than the handgun.

The fish team is working with Carp and Tilapia. I've actually never eaten either. Their criteria include how quickly they grow, but also how good they taste.
On the fish, the Carp are growing a lot faster than the Tilapia so unless there's a big difference in taste (we won't know for a few months) it seems like the Carp may win out in their contest?!

On the fish, the Carp are growing a lot faster than the Tilapia so unless there's a big difference in taste (we won't know for a few months) it seems like the Carp may win out in their contest?!
Carp is best prepared in patties like Salmon used to be when I was a kid. Smoked is also good. Looking forward to seeing further results on this.

Carp is best prepared in patties like Salmon used to be when I was a kid. Smoked is also good. Looking forward to seeing further results on this.

Maybe if you cook it until the bones are soft enough to eat. Personally I don't like picking out all the hundreds of tiny bones. My wife does, strangely...she said it's "fun." :rolleyes:

I actually had a phobia of swallowing fish bones at one time.

Now, if it is a 30 pound carp like I caught one time...it had bones big enough to pick out.

Never had an issue with bones, nor have I known anyone that did.

Maybe if you cook it until the bones are soft enough to eat. Personally I don't like picking out all the hundreds of tiny bones. My wife does, strangely...she said it's "fun." :rolleyes:

I actually had a phobia of swallowing fish bones at one time.

Now, if it is a 30 pound carp like I caught one time...it had bones big enough to pick out.
My understanding is, they will just be a few pounds (not 30!) when we eat them. Easy to catch with a net although it's possible we can make great sport out of fishing for the little ones?! As far as taste goes, again I haven't eaten one yet, but in clean water, they're supposed to be comparable to salmon, which would be great with me! They're using Silver Carp, so they should be pretty tasty. I understand bones are an issue. They "say" they can be handily deboned. We'll see about taste and bones when they harvest the first batch in several months.

We have a number of families with kids in one of the services. I'm sure no one would broadcast anything they weren't allowed to, but one soldier told his Mom to "please get to the facility," so she and about a dozen families are already in their container homes inside the facility. Many work from home anyway, so with their laptops, they won't miss a beat.

It wasn't something I actively fought against, but I'm not sure it's necessary yet - but all classes from our school will meet in one of the facility conference/chow rooms for the remainder of this week. It's going to be a lively place with many staying inside 24/7 for the duration of uncertainty.
On the bright side, the food is always better when we have company!

Hopefully cooler heads prevail and both sides will withdraw soon?!
I sure was NOT planning on spending my evenings this week with 52 other people. The good thing is, everyone has lots to keep themselves busy, and no worries about the kids accidentally messing something up because all projects are manned or locked up. I've been pretty busy at the store next door during the day, but I hear things are running pretty smoothly. I'm wondering if this Ukraine stuff is going to drag on for weeks and if so, we're going to have to start using advance menus with everyone placing their meal orders a couple days in advance like we did the first six month of last year when we had our off-the-grid simulation with 49 who never left...but we could plan for everything.

With this Ukraine thing, everything is up in the air. This week we've had buffets at every meal - I LOVE IT, but it's wasteful and we can't keep doing it. This week, we've just grabbed what we need next door at my grocery, but if school is held here another week, they will need to let go of the "this is just like a sleep-over" mentality and start working their stewardships and pulling their weight. I don't mean to sound cranky, but I have a hard time with lack of planning.

School starts back Monday AT the school (just 10 units over) so things will ratchet down a bit at the facility. We decided to maintain the increases we made to hydroponic production and give the excess to interested members. A smart move for preparedness, I think.

School starts back Monday AT the school (just 10 units over) so things will ratchet down a bit at the facility. We decided to maintain the increases we made to hydroponic production and give the excess to interested members. A smart move for preparedness, I think.
My son Lukas is here for weekend. Lukas is talking to people who are trying to see our sinkhole because there is sudden interest everywhere because they think many many more will start forming and they say we may have a methane problem but I think they can give Lukas testing equipment and he will test instead. I think problem is more in arctic and they are just being sure ours will not explode up. I would also prefer not to be blowed up!

You are crazy to let the school children eat all your food and use all your electricity up! I can not think of even having a school next door to go into our place!!

Clair,
I saw Lukas had posted too. I would ask him to stay off of politics here. I think we stay on topic and hope to better our survival communities with the knowledge some of these folk can contribute. Politics has its place, but it will only distract us from improving our facilities and programs. As for having the kids inside of the facility, I don't believe it was necessary, but I was glad to have the short readiness test and I think it was very useful. That said, I got behind at work, so I'm glad we're done for now!

Last edited:
Just stop talking about it here or go back to that other thread.

I'm here for ONE reason, survival ideas...to be given ideas and maybe to give others some ideas. I can talk politics at work, but I don't find it useful to try to change people's minds or try to punish people I disagree with. I distain politics and pretty much all politicians. It keeps us from getting things done and as Lukas said, gums up ordinary people's lives. Let's focus on our survival community's self-betterment. So, no more politics here please. Go to the political threads.

Last edited:
Lukas must return to his job tomorrow, so no more politics!
Please write some more about how you do food. You are like restaurant and have menus? Was that you joking? Sometimes I can not tell.

Clair,
I hate to waste anything, especially energy, food, or water. (or ammo - so be a good marksman!) When we first have an increased group size, we have no real feel for providing enough, so we start by having food buffets - serve yourself salad, meat, and dessert layouts. We waste a lot because the excess is hard to reuse. Later we limit the variety and narrow down what has to be prepared by getting requests in advance. It's all done on a phone app and the app will work inside the facility with or without the cellular network being up. (Or we could go to a white board and marker to tally the menu if we had nothing digital working.) The app creates the cook's ingredient requirements and the "whole shebang!" We just got to see it work and it was pretty amazing!
I know you probably just got up, but I gotta go to sleep! So good night!

…as he will find zero sympathy or objective reasoning here.

They won't even try to see both sides,

Excuse me?? YOU come on here demeaning the folks on this site, but have the nerve to WANT ADVICE FROM THEM? Most on here clearly analyze both sides on a daily basis! But you aren’t on here to get to know the members. You are on here to USE THEM!

Meanwhile the lunatic you are embracing is telling people to take the DEATH JAB!

Excuse me?? YOU come on here demeaning the folks on this site, but have the nerve to WANT ADVICE FROM THEM? Most on here clearly analyze both sides on a daily basis! But you aren’t on here to get to know the members. You are on here to USE THEM!

Meanwhile the lunatic you are embracing is telling people to take the DEATH JAB!

There all about fiction GP. I doubt there's much truth about anything they post.

Back to the Methane....
Clair, you would be smart to let Lukas do whatever Methane testing those people want. Methane gas is colorless, tasteless, and odorless so if there is any, you could be in trouble or dead before you realized what was happening. Lukas is a scientist, so hopefully he can figure pretty much anything out. But if those guys see your facility, it cannot be unseen. Even though I know you've over-built, I think your building codes are even stricter than ours in the US, so they might feel they have to report it if they see it. It would be fun to see their faces though!

Latest posts

Back