Anyone Else Quilt?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted this under Lady Preppers, although I do know that men can quilt just as well.

Just wondering if there are any other quilters here on the forum?

I posted this under Lady Preppers, although I do know that men can quilt just as well.

Just wondering if there are any other quilters here on the forum?

When time allows, yes, I am a "pathetic quilter"! Would love to quilt more so that I could complete a project worthy of showing to family and friends!!
Have you ever heard of Ricky Tims??? He is the quilting guru! He has a syndicated quilting show, even does quilting cruises! Look him up online...simply amazing!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I do quilt, but I don't do the fancy ones. Mainly 9 patch and bandana quilts. I have a quilt top I found in one of my work baskets that I'd forgot I'd made a few years ago, so I need to get it backed. The last quilt I did was last month and the kidlet helped. It was for her birthday and she wanted to learn to quilt. She's now working on one for her friend.

I have needles and thread in my house. I even know how to mend thing a thing or two (crudely but serviceable). Ages ago, I thought it would be fun but then I figured out that it meant being inside and that is just not my idea of a good time. Now, if someone could figure out how to do it outside I might be interested again.

It's called an extension cord and a table on the deck. Works for me.;)

Darn, there goes THAT excuse! How about that my sewing machine is 40 years old and barely works? And I really don't know how to use it. It was a hand-me-down. I'd have to invest in a better one and right now everything is slated for something or other!

When time allows, yes, I am a "pathetic quilter"! Would love to quilt more so that I could complete a project worthy of showing to family and friends!!
Have you ever heard of Ricky Tims??? He is the quilting guru! He has a syndicated quilting show, even does quilting cruises! Look him up online...simply amazing!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Hi Shenandoah!
I am not sure what you mean by "pathetic quilter"...?? :confused: Remember, any quilt made with love is a work of art!!! Maybe you can tell me what you've tried to do and maybe I could help you out a bit if you try quilting again.

I have made a lot of different kinds of quilts,mostly as gifts. I am especially proud of one I made for my Mom in '95 when all those "country blue" shades were popular. She had her bedroom all done in blues, so I made her a sampler quilt, which I hand quilted after it was all done. I actually used 5 spools of thread and wore out 3 leather thimbles quilting it. If you'd like to take a look at it, you can see it HERE.

Until you provided the link, I had never heard of Ricky Tims. He does have some pretty quilts, thanks for the link! I can't say as I'd dare to try some of his patterns though, since many look way above my skill level, lol!

I have made many "rag quilts", which I love to do in denim. It seems no matter what, I can always find people willing to give me their old jeans to make a quilt with! I love to make scrap quilts, there's just something about being able to re-purpose/re-use things that gets my creative juices flowing.

If you've never seen rag quilts before, there is a pretty one HERE made with flannel. As for denim rag quilts, I don't have any pictures of mine, but you can see some on this site.

I do quilt, but I don't do the fancy ones. Mainly 9 patch and bandana quilts. I have a quilt top I found in one of my work baskets that I'd forgot I'd made a few years ago, so I need to get it backed. The last quilt I did was last month and the kidlet helped. It was for her birthday and she wanted to learn to quilt. She's now working on one for her friend.

Sounds like a perfect quilt to me!!!

I love the look of bandana quilts!!! I saw one at the fair a few years ago made with denim and bandanas and I thought it was beautiful!

Quilts don't have to be fancy to be used and loved, it's the thought and the love that goes into them that makes them special.

I think that people should have a basic knowledge of these types of skills, because they can come in handy in many instances.

aint there 40 year old sewing machines that work just fine when there's a good oprater beside it? LOL

I have a 1935 Singer treadle machine that works just fine - maybe not as good as how my great-grandmother could operate one, but I can do it. I do find it harder and harder to come by the parts for it, though.

Darn, there goes THAT excuse! How about that my sewing machine is 40 years old and barely works? And I really don't know how to use it. It was a hand-me-down. I'd have to invest in a better one and right now everything is slated for something or other!

Don't count out the older machines, really. It might be worth having it looked at (depending on it's condition, of course). I've found that they certainly don't make them like they used to and the older ones have the durability that you you just have a hard time finding today. I've found some older machines (fromt he '40's and 50's) at yard sales that were in great shape and were only $5-$10.

I found a working Singer treadle machine at the Salvation Army about 10 years ago, paid $20 bucks for it and it still had the bobbins and many of the needles and other things that went with it. Just needed a good cleaning and oiling. I learning to sew on a treadle.

That sounds like a good find and a good price, too! If I remember correctly, the one I have cost $50. This conversation has reminded me that I need to go find a place online to buy some more belts - the one thing these machines seem to need on a regular basis.

I'm lucky enough that there is an old Singer shop in a town not to far from me and he keeps all sorts of old inventory in the back and usually has what I need so I generally pick up a few belts at a time when I go down there.

I sew clothing and I use a treadle sewing machine but I have only made one quilt... I like them but it is hot in texas not cold. I may not be a quilting lady but I can make my own clothing patterns from just measurements. LIVE LONG and SEW ON :)

I have quilted in the past and am about to start my next quilting project in the next week. But, I learned from my grandmother who did it all by hand on a frame in her living room. I've never quilted with a machine. I may try doing some piecing together of the smaller pieces on my machine this time just to be sure I finish the Christmas projects I have planned on time this year. Otherwise, it's a light-weight standing frame and a rocking chair that can be set out on the porch in the summertime or in front of the fireplace in the winter.

I dont sew much by hand any more my hands hurt when I try to sew for very long... as for quilts I would like to be good at them but I am not so patient I am get it done quickly person my attention span is short that is why I dont paint any more I have a hard time staying focused for more than a couple of hours and if I leave it till the next day I lose inspiration to do it in the first place. so far I have not had that problem with sewing clothes. although I do need to learn more than just sewing because if I am not learning I am bored.... and that is when I loose interest. I am working on learning how to preserve (dehydrating is where I am starting) foods. I have a electric dehydrator to start on but I need to find some thing to start on that is easy. and since plants die around me I need to shop for the ingredients too. but I think I will start with something soon. I just need to finish the shirt I am designing's pattern. I have to up the sizes on the pattern I have and change it to fit me but I am getting there.

on a side note I think christian baby crib quilts would be big sellers at a market or fair. I love art and crafts fairs. it is always good to make some cash from your skills... if I ever get around to a kid when the world decides not to implode I want christian themed nursery with a quilt of patchworks with scenes from the bible. :) Jesus miracles would be a good topic if I were to make a quilt... I have designs I have made on the computer for some quilts but I just dont think I have the skills to pull it off yet. I have only been sewing for a few years.

what kind of quilts do you design or do you buy patterns for quilts... (not a quilt expert myself so)

Latest posts

Back