Any Ideas ?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelsie

Reaction score
We are looking into buying a home and wondering if any of you have any ideas on what would be ideal for a prepper. We do have three homes picked out that we do like and they are all by a creek so we do have a great system to replenish our water supply. so any ideas on what else to look for?

land that's out and away from others much as possible.enough land for every thing when comes to all of your needs.like garden(s) and life stock.a barn for the equipment tools and other needs that can be kept in it.at least 2 ways of getting the water to where it's needed heavely woooded property line to make it harder for people to get to you.and that'll help keep the home and other structures hid at least some what..pond(s) to help with water supply,and for fish.

land that's out and away from others much as possible.enough land for every thing when comes to all of your needs.like garden(s) and life stock.a barn for the equipment tools and other needs that can be kept in it.at least 2 ways of getting the water to where it's needed heavely woooded property line to make it harder for people to get to you.and that'll help keep the home and other structures hid at least some what..pond(s) to help with water supply,and for fish.

Agreeded all the way with JimLe

Thanks. We did find a home with 13acres however the problem we keep running into is Mineral rights don't convert over because of all the oil drilling going on here in this part of Ohio and no one wants to transfer them. Is there a way to make us as safe as possible in this home if we chose it? We have become kinda paranoid because of all the new people to the area.

Something else you should consider is, is this home easily accessable to others? Are you on a main road, busy street. Picture this scenario with property in mind: A major catastrophy has occured, many people are trying to move away from populated areas and are in need of supplies. How easy is it for someone to enter the property?
Culdesacs are ok if you form a network with neighbors, off main roads, out of town and dirt road will slow the average traveler down.

might try a diffrent part of ohio then.if not a diffrent state..but then.you still have your job and/or what ever to think of.and the distance you'd have to drive going and comeing

As long as you're away from a lot of others, I'd think you'd be fine. Not sure how your winters are there, but something to consider. Rainfall is another. The creek is nice, but rainwater collection is nice too. Also, check if you are in a wind zone. You can make some cash (or your own power) with wind turbines if in a good area for it.

I'm glad you are trying to consider these factors before buying. I feel the 3 biggest factors are water, food and security, in that order. Water is the first thing needed, the creek is great, but what secondary options are nearby? Any well, municipal supply, ponds? If you have acreage then gardening and livestock should be good. Security is sometimes tough. I agree with jimle that being rural is always good but look at locations of things like nuke plants, large pollution producing factories etc. remember, marauders aren't the only potential harm that can come to you. Good luck.

Thank you every one for the great advice and ideas of what we need to look into before we buy a home to keep us safe. :)

As far as water goes, you could put in a well (make sure you have a way to get water out of it if you are without electricity), put in as many rain barrels as possible (don't forget about putting them on out buildings too), stash as much bottled water as you can and then you also have the creek. If you do all of those things, you should be okay. I would also get a Berkey t0 make sure all that water is safe to drink. Wooded area is important for several reasons. It provides a blind against traffic and people passing by, it provides a habitat for wildlife (which are a food source) and it is also a source of firewood for heating and cooking. As far as security goes, you are always at a risk unless you are in a hidden underground bunker. I would fortify my home as much as possible. I have been living in Italy and France for the last couple of months. I am sooooo glad to be home but I tried to observe some of the things they did there for security and self sufficiency so that I could adapt them for my own use here in Texas. One thing that almost every business and homeowner does is install the rolling metal door and window coverings. One of my friends in France told me that it was almost impossible to get insurance if you didn't have them on your home or business. They also use metal, slate or tile roofs which can last hundreds of years and are fireproof. They also use all the stones that they gather on their property while preparing land for farming or clearing an area to build a structure and use them to build fences, walls and buildings. They aren't beautiful stones, uniform in size or even very large. Some of the stones are quite small but they use them anyway. Many of the structures last for centuries. They have tons of hoop houses and greenhouses and garden year round. If SHTF or the power grid is compromised, power (electricity, gas and phone service) will be impossible to get. I would try to start putting in a solar system and add to it as finances permit. In choosing a home, you would need to make sure that either your roof is situated in a way that installing solar panels would be possible or that you have cleared land near you home that could accommodate solar panels. Land layout is really important. Are you going to have livestock? Will they have access to pasture for grazing? Is that pasture near that creek so they have a water source or are you going to put in portable tanks for them? I'd take pen to paper. Sketch out all three properties on paper and design how you would lay out the properties. Where will the outbuildings go, where would the garden go, where would the cattle go? I'd look at ways that you might be able to better secure your property. Can you dig a ditch where people may be able to access the property? You could install a type of cattle guard over it so that you could drive across it and then remove the guard when you don't want people to be able to drive across it. I would also consider price. If one property is much cheaper and would make it more affordable to make needed improvements, I would consider that when making my choice. Also look at the community. Being close to family or like minded families is really important. Just remember that whatever home or property that you choose, you can always improve on it as money and time allows. Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back