Any basic info on getting started?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
So far most of my preps have focused on food sustainability, security and homesteading type things. I am smart enough to know not to believe everything the media puts out, so am considering having another way to keep up with what's going on. I don't want to get really into this but would like an idea of the differences between a cb radio, ham radio and any other similar setups. Also, at what point do you need a license? Are there entry level systems that can communicate that aren't too expensive? Also, if you have a system that only receives, does that need a license? I'm just starting with this area, so will start reading posts, and that will probably answer most of my questions, but any helpful info would be appreciated.

Right now I have a couple small handheld radios that say there good for 2 mi. There still in the pkg in my bob. I do have some extra batteries as well, but these are really for security, not information. I do have a weather radio that has a crank for it's power source too. I think being able to listen to other non conventional sources for info would be smart.

Brent, I know a lot of people who have police scanners. They don't have licenses because they only listen. That is the extent of my knowledge on this subject but thought I'd throw it out there so those more knowledgeable can dissect it for us.

last i knew.a person don't need a license for a CB radio..all a person needs when it comes to that.is the needed setup..if i had the money.id be getting a 40 channel cb with side band with it.and as for ham radios go.might go with what clyde says..or someone else that knows them,cause i sure dont..

Brent, I know a lot of people who have police scanners. They don't have licenses because they only listen. That is the extent of my knowledge on this subject but thought I'd throw it out there so those more knowledgeable can dissect it for us.
That's a great idea. I'd trust the communication between law enforcement over the mainstream media anytime. I would like to be able to transmit as well, at least on a limited basis, but just having some info coming in would be smart.

I believe Clyde mentioned these BaoFeng radios a couple of days ago. Here's an article I just found on them: http://www.geekprepper.org/budget-ham-radio/
Thanks, I just bookmarked the link. I'll try it out, as it's probably fine for what I want/need. I'm in the mountains here so don't know how that will affect the reception, but for 50.00 or less I think it's worth a try.

So far most of my preps have focused on food sustainability, security and homesteading type things. I am smart enough to know not to believe everything the media puts out, so am considering having another way to keep up with what's going on. I don't want to get really into this but would like an idea of the differences between a cb radio, ham radio and any other similar setups. Also, at what point do you need a license? Are there entry level systems that can communicate that aren't too expensive? Also, if you have a system that only receives, does that need a license? I'm just starting with this area, so will start reading posts, and that will probably answer most of my questions, but any helpful info would be appreciated.

Hi Brent!

Hello brother, ask and ye shall receive. Here is a beginners guide to Amateur radio. Hope it will help you out. I've gotten behind in posting more resources...I will try and get better before work draws me back in. I am not sure if Clyde has this one yet, but I'll post it in the Library too.

Also I will PM you my complete communication kit list tonight.

Attachments

• The-Beginners-Handbook-of-Amateur-Radio.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
I have mentioned Baofengs in a few threads.
I have 3 of them (UV-5RE). It is true that in order to legally transmit on them you
would need at the minimum an Amateur Radio Operator's License (Technician Class). It is an easy test to pass as my
9 year old passed it. It only costs $15.00 to take the test. Http://arrl.org can help you locate classes and/or testing locations.
I used the books written by Gordon West, WB6NOA. They have the complete FCC Question pool in easy to grasp topics.

Tech.jpg
General.jpg
Extra.jpg

I have mentioned Baofengs in a few threads.
I have 3 of them (UV-5RE). It is true that in order to legally transmit on them you
would need at the minimum an Amateur Radio Operator's License (Technician Class). It is an easy test to pass as my
9 year old passed it. It only costs $15.00 to take the test. Http://arrl.org can help you locate classes and/or testing locations.
I used the books written by Gordon West, WB6NOA. They have the complete FCC Question pool in easy to grasp topics.

View attachment 3297View attachment 3296 View attachment 3295
I really appreciate the tip. I'm not sure I even want to be on the radar for transmitting, but like the idea of being able to if needed. What kind of range do you actually get with the baos'? And do you need an antenna to connect to, or does it even have the capability to do so? Thanks again, Brent.

I really appreciate the tip. I'm not sure I even want to be on the radar for transmitting, but like the idea of being able to if needed. What kind of range do you actually get with the baos'? And do you need an antenna to connect to, or does it even have the capability to do so? Thanks again, Brent.
With regards to the antenna, I alway recommend getting a longer "rubber duck" no matter the manufacturer. The stock ones tend to suck pretty bad. I know people who use the Baofeng UV-5R series as a mobile unit. They get themselves a magnet mount 2 meter / 70 centimeter antenna and go to town. on simplex (No repeater) with a mag mount antenna you can reach out and touch someone quite far depending on your location. I know of people who have gotten 20+ miles.

With regards to the antenna, I alway recommend getting a longer "rubber duck" no matter the manufacturer. The stock ones tend to suck pretty bad. I know people who use the Baofeng UV-5R series as a mobile unit. They get themselves a magnet mount 2 meter / 70 centimeter antenna and go to town. on simplex (No repeater) with a mag mount antenna you can reach out and touch someone quite far depending on your location. I know of people who have gotten 20+ miles.
How much does an average one cost?

Hey Clyde, I just put two of the baofeng radios in my shopping cart on amazon, along with an aux antennae and car charger. My question is I typed in police scanner on amazon too and the baofeng popped up. Does it work as a scanner as well? It would be great to only have to buy the one radio.

Hey Clyde, I just put two of the baofeng radios in my shopping cart on amazon, along with an aux antennae and car charger. My question is I typed in police scanner on amazon too and the baofeng popped up. Does it work as a scanner as well? It would be great to only have to buy the one radio.
Brent, I received mine in the mail today. I set it up and set it to scan and it isn't picking up anything at all. It also works as an FM radio and picks up only the closest few stations. I think an extended antenna might be an excellent idea. I'm disappointed that I'm not getting the "police scanner" portion of it.

Brent, I received mine in the mail today. I set it up and set it to scan and it isn't picking up anything at all. It also works as an FM radio and picks up only the closest few stations. I think an extended antenna might be an excellent idea. I'm disappointed that I'm not getting the "police scanner" portion of it.
Thanks for the input. Clyde said a better antennae is a must, so I added it in my cart as well. I am waiting till I sell my motorcycle before I buy all the stuff in my cart, but will let you know how it does. I am really happy to hear it can be a scanner as well. I allready have two walkie talkies, that have a two mile radius, but these things say up to a 20mi radius. I think even if you only get half the range, for 32 bucks it's still a great deal. If you get an antennae I'd really like to hear how much it helped. I hope it works better with one for both our sakes.

Ok the UV 5 is a good rig but it can be made better, in the UK its used for 2 meter ham and PMR frequencies, in the US you can use it I think for 2 meter ham any stuff up the the 44o Mhz range is the US Family radio system around those frequencies. In my own case I have reprogrammed the radio using CHIRP cos its so simple so I only use the PMR446 frequencies for use within the family and its not licenced.

if you have a UV5R and its not doing much it may have no frequencies installed, off my head I think your UV5s do 136 to 174 MHz and 400 to 520 MHz plus its got an FM receiver built in.

Miklor is one of the best places to find out much more
http://www.miklor.com/

CHIRP programming stuff is found here
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home
the best hand held antenna is the Nagoya NA-771 SMA female connector

range for them is usually best in line of sight, so if you live some place hilly you really need to broadcast from hilltop to hilltop.

Ok the UV 5 is a good rig but it can be made better, in the UK its used for 2 meter ham and PMR frequencies, in the US you can use it I think for 2 meter ham any stuff up the the 44o Mhz range is the US Family radio system around those frequencies. In my own case I have reprogrammed the radio using CHIRP cos its so simple so I only use the PMR446 frequencies for use within the family and its not licenced.

if you have a UV5R and its not doing much it may have no frequencies installed, off my head I think your UV5s do 136 to 174 MHz and 400 to 520 MHz plus its got an FM receiver built in.

Miklor is one of the best places to find out much more
http://www.miklor.com/

CHIRP programming stuff is found here
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home
the best hand held antenna is the Nagoya NA-771 SMA female connector

range for them is usually best in line of sight, so if you live some place hilly you really need to broadcast from hilltop to hilltop.
Thanks for the help, but I think I'm going to need a teenager! Lol. I'm about to order a couple of these, both for communication and for possible news if the grid goes down. Clyde had allready warned of the antenna being junk, but reprogramming is getting a little above my pay grade as well.

Thanks for the help, but I think I'm going to need a teenager! Lol. I'm about to order a couple of these, both for communication and for possible news if the grid goes down. Clyde had allready warned of the antenna being junk, but reprogramming is getting a little above my pay grade as well.
If you look at the video on how to program it manually (without the cord and CHIRP), the first video is actually quite easy to understand. I was able to reset the unit and reprogram a couple of the simple things. Unfortunately, neither of the videos goes into detail about how to locate local frequencies. I'm beginning to believe these might really only be good as personal walkie talkies. I think you have to know the frequency that is used by anyone near you to be able to pick them up. The scan button doesn't actually scan for anything. I haven't figured out what that button is for. Maybe you have to enter in frequencies on each channel that is empty and it will scan through those.
I have it charged and sitting on the end table beside me, turned off. I pick it up every now and again and play with it. I might eventually figure it out.... or return it. My brain is too pre-occupied these days to handle things that are too technical.

There is no license required for a CB radio. I currently have a 40 channel double band. Police scanners are nice if your just listening, however you need to know the channel you wish to listen to. you cant just scan random channels.

Honestly I am the worlds number one technophobe and even I managed Chirp cos its very simple, basically you tell Chirp what frequencies you want and it puts em in the radio, please have a go, failing that I reckon one of your neighbourhood ham radio guys can set em up for you in five minutes flat.

Latest posts

Back