Anxiety

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pexels-tima-miroshnichenko-6186747.jpg

Last edited:
Iā€™ve had issues with anxiety for years. Could be from any number of my experiences, but thatā€™s really not important for this other than it leads me to my next point. Iā€™ve found that the major thing that helps is identifying why youā€™re experiencing anxiety, and then rationalizing it. ā€œI am feeling this because of thisā€ type of self talk. Then from there use box breathing and a color identifying technique to bring your mind back to the present. An example is identifying 6 things around you that are green, then purple, then red ext. do this while box breathing and it brings your mind back to the present. Some days will require more repetitions than others, and sometimes itā€™s frustrating as hell.

Donā€™t rely on CBD or anything like that, itā€™s better to learn to control your mind. A guy I served with tried to rely on meds, it worked great for a while. But then they kept having to up the dosages because his mind got used to it. Now he literally is just medicated all the damn time, and has to up the pot and drug usage pretty regularly. He isnā€™t even the same person I once knew. Itā€™s sad, and I hate it for him.

I learned this after years of suffering, and it works for me. Itā€™s your mind, make it do what you want it to.

Best of wishes, āœŒšŸ»

I don't get anxiety...as in don't understand it. One of my college majors was Psych, and it was the one disorder I didn't really grasp. There are things you can't control, there are things you can. Why sweat the stuff that you can't control? Focus on the things you can change....can someone explain? I'm not being glib. PM me...I truly want to understand.

Last edited:
Anxiety isnt something I suffer from, nothing much bothers me on a day to day basis.
my health is pretty good much better than a lot of people.
there is a mental health crisis in this country, many people were affected by the covid lockdowns and still havent recovered.
being a bit of a loner being on my own was normal for me but most people cant handle it, hence the anxiety and loneliness which contributes to mental health issues.

Last edited:
I don't get anxiety...as in don't understand it. One of my college majors was Psych, and it was the one disorder I didn't really grasp. There are things you can't control, there are things you can. Why sweat the stuff that you can't control? Focus on the things you can change....can someone explain? I'm not being glib. PM me...I truly want to understand.
That's a part that you developed somewhere that those with anxiety didn't.

I used to be a really... dramatic person. I legitimately didn't realize that my thoughts were just thoughts. It's hard to explain. Long story short, I grew up in an abusive, crazy household. I just never learned some things that normal kids don't even realize they are learning.

I did some cognitive behavioral therapy and learned how to think and it changed my life.

I have to say, though, from a prepper standpoint anxiety isn't the worst mental problem. It's not a terrible thing to have a mind working on overload!

That's a part that you developed somewhere that those with anxiety didn't.

I used to be a really... dramatic person. I legitimately didn't realize that my thoughts were just thoughts. It's hard to explain. Long story short, I grew up in an abusive, crazy household. I just never learned some things that normal kids don't even realize they are learning.

I did some cognitive behavioral therapy and learned how to think and it changed my life.

I have to say, though, from a prepper standpoint anxiety isn't the worst mental problem. It's not a terrible thing to have a mind working on overload!
I grew up in a straight almost Victorian household, everything was either right or wrong-no grey areas, being an only child I learned early on to stand on my own two feet, being alone for me was normal, I dont and wont suffer fools gladly, I prefer animals to people, most people these days are stupid or at best ignorant.

Last edited:
There are things you can't control, there are things you can. Why sweat the stuff that you can't control?
I am afraid that most people have to have enough control over their lives.
If they do not have control over everything, it scares them. They cannot deal with the thought of not being able to influence absolutely everything nowadays. Too many bosses have the say of wearing a mask, wearing a smile, wearing a certain color, you rent my house=you do what I say, your feet are under my table=you do what I say, the cop believes he must decide on "life or death" DAILY and does just that, the kids in school learn to control from the crap in TV and copy the smart-lipped little kids there, each person is not born to be a "controller" but they learn it from their parents.
If you cannot cope with the problem, be afraid of it= anxiety...
Strong kids and intelligent parents raising them= no anxiety...
Weak kids and the schools raising them= anxiety and hatred mixed with no understanding or intelligence.
People with intelligence but having too many bad experiences= anxiety, but strength to cope with some help from friends, directly or indirectly. LIKE HERE...live free, Gary

What is it like to have anxiety? What thoughts go through your head? How do you know when it is about to happen? Do you get a warning "tingle" before it goes full blown or is it just a constant state with varying degrees of panic?

My mother had a lot of anxiety due to extreme trauma when she was young, though she did a decent job of covering it up.

As a for instance, she was scared to death of large dogs, especially black German Shepherds (remnant from the war) and I was not allowed to have a dog (she gave other reasons for it); She had panic attacks when driving and didn't get her driver's license until she was well into her 30's. She would walk behind my daughter when she was learning to walk with her hands under her rear end to cushion, her 10" fall....She would think every time I left her sight, that something terrible was going to happen to me.

I am trying to understand it, so I can understand her (she has been gone for 5 years now) and some of the ways she had.

My wife is also an anxious person. If a car pulls out a 1/4 mile in front of us, she gasps and gets scared something will happen. She has heard of and watched toooooo many bad videos in you-tube about women being attacked at stores, gas-stations, hotels. motels and even in their own homes. The front gate stays locked, the front door stays locked and if she is in the garden, the house is locked and the dog is with her to warn her of anyone entering the garden.
She does not have the normal fears of spiders, mice or snakes, but other fears- which almost never happen- like getting hit by lightning ((!!)) drives her into the bedroom till it is all over and I sit outside with some popcorn and wait for each bolt to light up the night sky.......

I've gone through my fair share of fighting anxiety over the years. I agree about control with your mind and the saying: "Everything is the way you perceive it to be" I know people walking around daily waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Change your way of thinking, change your life. Not saying it's easy thing to do.

Had a Psych doctor tell me once when I was in my late 20s..I'd had my boys back to back (they are 11 mos apart). I had moved to another county to finish college at University, boys with me (toddlers), was working full time, carrying full load of classes, hubby back home in another county working full time, my youngest was sick all the time. Hubby worked for a strip mine driving a rock truck, the men went on strike, after that the mine shut down, he was out of a job...downhill from there. Was young, and thought I was going stark raving bat shit crazy.. Doctor looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and said:

"Shit happens, whatta ya going to do about it?"

At the time, I was appalled with that statement, as I was expecting some sympathy...oh the nerve of him!

Fast forward, not saying it solved all my life's problems, but I have never forgotten it...and refer to it often in my thoughts. Sometimes simple, but brasen works, or can at least help.

Interpret it how you choose.

For me, it wasn't so much panic attacks. It was just my mind on overload all the time, imagining everything that could possibly go wrong and feeling responsible for coming up with a way to prevent no matter how improbable.

For example, I would lie awake imagining all the ways my husband or kids could die and how I could prevent it, never sitting with my back to the door in case someone dangerous came in, lying awake making a fire exit plan any time we stayed anywhere new.

So, like I said, not all that bad as a prepper, but it started becoming a problem when I would be snappy at everyone for not immediately recognizing and fixing potential problems, too.

Latest posts

Back