antibiotic options

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hear that uaniary track meds for dogs works just as good with humans

Yes, most antibiotics for dogs are the same things that humans take. As a matter of fact, when I worked for the pharmaceutical company, we filled Rx's for the local vets using the same meds that we sold to our human customers. : )

Actually my doctor told me about the doxycycline and tetracycline, I don't know why I included the others.

Actually my doctor told me about the doxycycline and tetracycline, I don't know why I included the others.
The drugs themselves do not become toxic but the capsules that they put them in can cause break down and cause a chemical reaction. I wouldn't advice using either one of those antibiotics anyway. They aren't the safest to use when you are not familiar with dosages. The other antibiotics can remain stable for many years if stored in a dark cool place.

I'm taking amoxicillin 500mg every 6 hours to help rid of a abscess in my mouth and to rid of anything bad in my tooth that needs a root canal next week. So I'm basing any kind of dosage on that.

Normal dose is 500mg 2 to 3 times a day for adults and 250 for kids. Usually a course of 7 days but can run up to 10 if it is a really bad infection. Need to prep according to those dosages. Minimum of 14 pills per illness.

DO NOT use meds that are prescribed for horses or cattle.

LOL. Whoops..we've done it before (though paying careful attention to dosage and consulting someone we trust).

The fish antibiotics are the exact same thing as what is prescribed for humans. I promise.

Good to know.

OK here is a partial file from the S.L.E.P. researched by the DoD/FDA. As we all know the U.S. military and the government has vast stock piles of meds. This study is medicine effetiveness to at least 90%. This may help all who are wanting to put some antibiotics up for a rainy day. Also if meds on average are stored at a constant 50°F w/ low humidity the shelf life will be extended.

Attachments

• SLEP.pdf
    132.8 KB · Views: 6
OK here is a partial file from the S.L.E.P. researched by the DoD/FDA. As we all know the U.S. military and the government has vast stock piles of meds. This study is medicine effetiveness to at least 90%. This may help all who are wanting to put some antibiotics up for a rainy day. Also if meds on average are stored at a constant 50°F w/ low humidity the shelf life will be extended.
Doc, very good article about med shelf life.
Have a question re antibiotics and which ones I should have in my long term medical bag. I have access to the following:
Ampicillin
Cephalexin
Ciprofloxacin
Amoxicillin
Penicillin
Doxycycline
If there are others you would recommend please add them. Also would appreciate your rational if that wouldn't be to much trouble. Would help me understand.
Thanks

I'm taking amoxicillin 500mg every 6 hours to help rid of a abscess in my mouth and to rid of anything bad in my tooth that needs a root canal next week. So I'm basing any kind of dosage on that.
My wife has an abscess right now and is having a root canal done in a week or so and amoxicillin is what they gave her along with a script of percocets.We already stock a good bit of Fish Mox Forte which is 500mg of pure amoxicillin for aquarium use,but the good part is the abscess is not bothering her and she's not using/needing the percocets,just the antibiotics to rid the infection before the procedure.So we finally got a decent sized script of pain pills thats looks (so far) like we will be able to add those to our stocks as well.She'll get another pain script after the root canal i'm sure,but i'm expecting that she will be using most of those,however,any that might be left over will be put back as well.

Your definitely right about good storage prolonging potency. Remember, cool and dark. Ten years may be a little optimistic but you can certainly go way beyond normal exp. date. I was an emt and surg. Tech, and my take is levaquin is a pretty good broad range antibiotic with long term storage. Most family dr's will write a script if you're there for something else and tell him upfront a little about your prepping/medical bag. He may give you some other ideas, and you never know, you may find another fellow prepper to discuss strategies with. I thing most reasonably intelligent people out there are starting to see the wisdom of being prepared for future emergencys.

Found this very useful and informative article/blog on "Guide to Veterinary Drugs for Human Consumption, Post-SHTF"
http://www.truthistreason.net/guide...r-human-consumption-post-shtf#sthash.9Mkx1znA
Also found http://www.doomandbloom.net helpful. Real info from a doctor. They have several articles on the use of survival antibiotics, both the importance of having and dangers of indiscriminately using them. Good luck and stay safe........
Great info. I've heard rumors about the fish mox before but feel more confident with them thanks to you. Still advise everyone to research, reasearch, reasearch!!!! Taking any drug without some knowledge about them is just as likely to make a bad situation worse.

Great info. I've heard rumors about the fish mox before but feel more confident with them thanks to you. Still advise everyone to research, reasearch, reasearch!!!! Taking any drug without some knowledge about them is just as likely to make a bad situation worse.
I would only use these as a last resort in a SHTF situation. Over use of antibiotics is a big problem now even with Doctors prescribing the meds.

The last prescription for Amoxicillin went into the freezer. I did not really need it, the doctor prescribed it as a precaution. I don't take antibiotics unless there is a compelling reason. They mess up my digestive system.

The expiration date on the bottle is July 2014, but in the freezer it should keep indefinitely.

Over use of antibiotics is a big problem now even with Doctors prescribing the meds.

Yes it certainly is. Superbugs that don't respond to anything are a direct result of over-reliance on antibiotics instead of healthy immune systems.

All I am going to say is this, most drugs for long term storage is as follows, cool, dark, dry place, most drugs store between 45°-65° with the over lapping at 50°f. One of the biggest problems is the moisture, and if there in a frost free freezer, the freeezer goes through a defrost cycle every so often where the unit actually heats up and the fan comes on to help evaporate moisture in the freezer. When you take something out of the freezer it will crest moisture, the moisture will break down the coating and ruin the drug, also every time the unit is opened hot air rushes in, in most units as the cold air flowers out. There are temps that I have seen in the past, I will see if I can find the info. Any way, just saying!

Good luck, be safe, and God bless

All I am going to say is this, most drugs for long term storage is as follows, cool, dark, dry place, most drugs store between 45°-65° with the over lapping at 50°f. One of the biggest problems is the moisture, and if there in a frost free freezer, the freeezer goes through a defrost cycle every so often where the unit actually heats up and the fan comes on to help evaporate moisture in the freezer. When you take something out of the freezer it will crest moisture, the moisture will break down the coating and ruin the drug, also every time the unit is opened hot air rushes in, in most units as the cold air flowers out. There are temps that I have seen in the past, I will see if I can find the info. Any way, just saying!

Good luck, be safe, and God bless
Would this still apply if the meds are sealed in mylar bags and kept in the freezer door or somewhere away from the defrost heater (which is located behind the back wall of the freezers in most domestic fridges)?I've thought of keeping some meds in the freezer but have not due to some of the reasons you mentioned.The point i'm getting at is-will it actually prolong the lifespan by storing the meds in the freezer if kept protected from moisture and the defrost heater?

I am going to try to find a book I have before I go back on shift. This book is written for remote medics, where med shipments may be delayed for some reason or another.

Good luck, be safe , and God bless.

I would only use these as a last resort in a SHTF situation. Over use of antibiotics is a big problem now even with Doctors prescribing the meds.
Couldn't agree more, overuse has made for some really nasty bugs out there.

This is what I buy $22 a bottle at our local feed store (fishbiotics) I have used these for my animals and myself

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back