Ancestors you are most proud of

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dies Irae

Reaction score
As always sorry for my english and move me to off topic if this doesnt belong here.
Also long read ahead.

In these times when statues are torn down/vandalized and history itself is being twisted or rewriten. I think its important to remember those you think were the most important or somehow had the biggest impact on you opinion. May it be a president,general,priest or any other person. Who is the someone that you are most proud of to be one of your ancestors and what did he do to deserve that title? Even if he/she deserves it only in your eyes.

Adding mine in next post soon.

2473133-p201110061007801.jpeg

Jan, Count Žižka, (born c. 1376—died Oct. 11, 1424, Přibyslav, Bohemia [now in Czech Republic]), military commander and national hero of Bohemia who led the victorious Hussite armies against the German king Sigismund, foreshadowing the revolution of military tactics two centuries later in his introduction of mobile artillery.

Jan Zizka belongs to the elite group of leaders who never lost a battle. He was born on or around 1360 in the village of Trocnov in the Kingdom of Bohemia. During his early life he lost an eye. Although it is not known exactly how the accident happened, it is believed that it occurred either as a result of a child-hood injury or an adolescent fight.

After spending most of his life as a mercenary for the Poles and fighting with them at the Battle of Grunwald (Tannenberg; 1410), he returned to Bohemia and became a follower of the religious reformer Jan Hus. When Wenceslas died in 1419, his half-brother Sigismund attempted to ascend the Bohemian throne, but the Bohemians, aware that Sigismund would try to suppress Hussitism, organized a resistance. Žižka became a leader of the Taborites, one of the newly formed peasant military communities that, with their tight discipline and religious and nationalist zeal, were vastly superior to the undisciplined feudal levies that they opposed.

Žižka revolutionized warfare through the introduction of cannon mounted on mobile, armoured farm wagons. He was one of the first commanders to handle infantry, cavalry, and artillery as one tactical body. Reduced to the tactical defensive by his cumbersome wagons, he became a master at forcing his enemies to attack at a disadvantage. Žižka’s system proved practically unbeatable. He crushed Sigismund near Prague in 1420. Losing the sight of his remaining eye shortly thereafter, he continued to lead his forces to victory against both Roman Catholics and rival Hussite elements, finally dying of plague in 1424. Hussite armies continued to defeat foreign invaders, finally succumbing after a decade and a half as a result of internal rivalries.

Despite his obvious success, Europe failed to heed Žižka’s military system for 200 years. Only with the advent of the Swedish king Gustav II Adolf and his reintroduction of mobile artillery in the 17th century did Žižka’s system become incorporated into European tactics.

By ancestors I will take this to mean countrymen, and not blood relatives.

My first choice would be Benjamin Franklin. Brilliant, author, inventor, statesman. I don't know that without him the United States would even exist.

My second choice would be Abraham Lincoln. Not only for preserving the Union, but for rising from the humblest of beginnings, being self educated, and rising to the highest office in the land.

Both truly embraced and lived the American dream achieving great results through liberty, and hard work.

My father. He wasn’t perfect, but then who is. He spent 22 years in the US Marine Corps and he survived the atomic bomb tests in Nevada, the Korean War and 2 tours of duty in Vietnam. He was fortunate. Thousands of other servicemen and servicewomen were maimed or killed in wars started by incompetent politicians who never seem to have to shed their blood for our country.

By ancestors I will take this to mean countrymen, and not blood relatives.

My first choice would be Benjamin Franklin. Brilliant, author, inventor, statesman. I don't know that without him the United States would even exist.

My second choice would be Abraham Lincoln. Not only for preserving the Union, but for rising from the humblest of beginnings, being self educated, and rising to the highest office in the land.

Both truly embraced and lived the American dream achieving great results through liberty, and hard work.

Ben Franklin's (wife?) Fanny (?) Is related to me. She is buried in family cemetery or so I am told. As you can tell, I'm not a geneologist.

have several, Marshal Mannerheim, Lauri Törni ( Larry Thorne ),Simo Häyhä,my own Grand Dad,my Father, all fought against Russian commies,there are authors,who created a written language,gave it the structure in Finnish,there are composers like Sibelius,who gave us the Finlandia hymn...

Why would I post my heritage? Talk about opsec? "Hey, my great great grandpa was Davy Crockett, and I was named after him." Ummm.... One thing I like about this forum is my anonymity. For example, I wouldn't want the local sheriff to know that my arsenal is bigger than his (arsenal of squirt guns, of course). All of us who post have written things that we would not want to have as general knowledge with people living within 10 miles. Doc, I respect your willingness to share your identity. I'd just as well keep mine private. Not that any of us have done illegal activities (from what I recall), but it could get uncomfortable for some neighbors. I'd just as well keep them in peaceful ignorance. And I don't want to know what they're doing either.

Robin, not necessarily. Do some research on your ancestry. It’s fun and interesting!
After my brother died, I young lady came and said was hus daughter and we took DNA. It ended that she was the child of my cousin instead. Since then, we have gotten info about my ancestors. My mom and dad are 5th cousins and no one knew . the families lived about 50 miles apart and back then, that was pretty far. Explains al ot about my family.

It is entertaining about the ghosts that come out. I found out that I had another cousin... when he was about 50 years old! Children out of wedlock back in those days were just raised by the mom or grandparents most often, and the dads moved on. Sometimes the dad told his family, sometimes they had no idea. Today those babies are nearly all aborted, killed before they were born. It was tough for those moms in the old days, but still a better choice than to kill a baby. I have a number of friends who wouldn't be here if their mom had this 'choice'.

A good friend that I worked with decades ago married his first cousin. Knowingly, really nice couple. Had one child who died at about 20 from complications, it was tragic. And no, they were not European royalty!

I suspect we've all seen this. It happens, such is life.

Dad side of the Family came from old Virginia, we have a family plot in Virginia it's now a historical registered site, my great uncle was the last family member buried their an Officer with the AEF killed in the Argonne offensive during WWI.

I leave it at that but to say, they all are equally special to me.

Queen Elizabeth... just kidding. My grandparents were Irish and my Nanna’s first cousin was Grace Kelly, my cousin did a family tree a few years ago. I have an enormous family so I’m not in any danger of being discovered 😉

My great great grandfather Captain Wells. Shot 13 times in the Civil War and still lived to an old age. His slaves stayed on after they were emancipated, many took his last name. Most of what we know about him came from first hand stories told to my great uncle Ab by Captain Wells' former slaves. Let's just say that Captain Wells did not suffer fools...and in the lawless years of Reconstruction he was a one man Justice League, LOL. The history books don't tell what happened during Reconstruction, that has been whitewashed and glossed over. There was no democracy for ten years in the South. The racial problems we have largely began then. It was the reason for the KKK. The KKK wasn't the only organization formed during Reconstruction to deal with the lawlessness. But the others went away when Reconstruction ended. One such organization was the Delta Rangers. The most colorful member of the Delta Rangers was a man by the name of Holt Collier. I have a book about Collier that echos much of what I heard from Uncle Ab about conditions during Reconstruction.
Look up Collier...it is an eye opener...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holt_Collier
Uncle Ab lived long enough to tell me the stories.

My grandmother wrote a book retelling all the stories about her ancestors called Footprints in the Sand.

Latest posts

Back