An idea I would have laughed at yesterday...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNwr786

Demi-God
Reaction score
Turns out, Wikipedia has a website that details and encourages downloading/mirroring their entire site, but provide very specific means to do so that won't slow them down for others. I just downloaded the 15GB HTML version (which supposedly decompresses to 80GB), gonna check it out later.

Just wanted to share this as wiki is a wealth of educational gold a prepper may want mirrored.

Sounds like French to me. Besides I still prefer books.
I like books too, but where books fall short is that they are generally topic-specific. With books, you need to know ahead of time which subjects you will be wanting to learn or reference, and I do have a ton of reference material. The tricky part is having access to knowledge you do not yet know you need. My 1989 Britannica set kicks butt, but try getting a current and complete set for less than $3,000. I too prefer books,but when I can put a live operating system on a thumb drive and boot up any computer (even if it has no hard drive) and have access to dump trucks worth of books, I feel ok leaning partially on the idea that junk computers will always be available to boot a live OS on. If the world becomes so screwed that there are no computers, the information you need access to in order to thrive will be primitive at best ~ you won't be learning to anodize aluminum or calculate 3-phase power factors or anything one might find in digital dump trucks full of books. My reasoning is to have useful data backed up in order to use/share it when the time comes, and although I highly doubt we will ever loose internet, what's easily available on it might soon change so why not.

UPDATE: The 15GB 7z unzipped into a 218GB RAR archive. Now I get to unpack that. Whoever wrote it extracts to about 80GB on the site was a bit off.

Last edited:
I think having as much information as possible is always a good thing. I’m also old school and wouldn’t have a clue to store or retrieve what you just laid out above. I grew up with an old set of encyclopedias that had very limited information so definitely see the benefits to what your talking about. Even though I can and do use a computer and am able to learn more with them, I really don’t feel at home with them as much as going to a library. Growing up in an analog world wasn't nearly as efficient as today’s but I understand being comfortable with it. If we are all correct about shtf though, your stored information would be an incredible resource.

Latest posts

Back