An alice tactical vest setup.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1990 to January of this year. 2 weeks after I graduated highschool I went to basic then medic training to airborne training then Bragg and almost straight into Desert Storm. A few years later my unit was attached to the 10th Mountain in Somolia. I also was stationed in Alaska, then Texas, where I made up my mind to become a flight medic. Egypt then Colorado with 3 tours in Iraq, followed by 3 years instructing at Fort Rucker, AL and then back to Texas for a tour in Afghanistan.

Wow! Well I thank you sir for serving our country! My father served in the Navy from 1986 until 1994. And Black Hawk Down and Jarhead are my two favorite movies I just like them. But I wish to expand my tactical setup more because I want it to be more complete. I want to get the M12 holster, (2) 9mm pistol magazine pouches, a m249 SAW ammunition pouch to use as a dump pouch, the M9 bayonet, and a strobe pouch for my distress strobe, but I just need more money.

I didn't want to start another thread about tactical vests so I'll post this here. I just got this. It's Canadian surplus Tactical Load Bearing Vest. Date on it is 1994, and it's in good shape. It's manufactured by Pacific Body Armour in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. The fabric is heavy and from what I have found out they called them Jean Jackets. It weighs in at 3.4 lbs (1.5 Kg) so it's not summer weight fabric. Has lots of pockets front and back and inside. I have no idea what those black things are at the top of the vest. If anyone knows enlighten me please. From the weight of it would be better for cool or cold weather. I couldn't see myself wearing this empty let alone packed in 90 degree heat here in the south. For $ 24.95 UDS I'm not complaining.
Weight Bearing Vest 001.jpg
Weight Bearing Vest 003.jpg

I didn't want to start another thread about tactical vests so I'll post this here. I just got this. It's Canadian surplus Tactical Load Bearing Vest. Date on it is 1994, and it's in good shape. It's manufactured by Pacific Body Armour in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. The fabric is heavy and from what I have found out they called them Jean Jackets. It weighs in at 3.4 lbs (1.5 Kg) so it's not summer weight fabric. Has lots of pockets front and back and inside. I have no idea what those black things are at the top of the vest. If anyone knows enlighten me please. From the weight of it would be better for cool or cold weather. I couldn't see myself wearing this empty let alone packed in 90 degree heat here in the south. For $ 24.95 UDS I'm not complaining.
View attachment 1364View attachment 1365
Those black things are attachment points for using straps, I had an older hiking backpack possibly from the 90s that I used in boy scouts, they are used to attach something using the straps that are on that certain piece of equipment. Unless I wrong? But I am pretty sure that is what they are used for.

Those black things are attachment points for using straps, I had an older hiking backpack possibly from the 90s that I used in boy scouts, they are used to attach something using the straps that are on that certain piece of equipment. Unless I wrong? But I am pretty sure that is what they are used for.
I was thinking along those lines too. I think your right. Thanks.

No problem. It's not a bad looking vest I prefer having the Alice setup because its cheap, it matches my style of setup, and I'm not a big fan of the molle stuff. Yeah it's probably more durable and modern and can attach anything to anywhere you want but it's just not my kind of style for equipment.

No problem. It's not a bad looking vest I prefer having the Alice setup because its cheap, it matches my style of setup, and I'm not a big fan of the molle stuff. Yeah it's probably more durable and modern and can attach anything to anywhere you want but it's just not my kind of style for equipment.
I can't carry that much equipment anymore so this is fine for me.

Yeah that is understandable. I'm just saying that since I'm still young I am able to carry more and use a more versatile setup for myself.

That looks along the lines of a vest/ small pack, because on the back you can probably attach a us issue bed roll or something along the lines of that, and then put normal storage items on your back.

yeah cali i was just thinking along them lines of thought.i figured that it'd make a great bug home bag..3-7 days of food clothes n other stuff in the pockets.sleeping bag and maybe a 1 person tent on the outside

Same here Jim, I am planning to buy the military surplus pup tent as they call it, and add that to my sleep system carrier.

You military guys and your acronyms, hehe...

ALICE = All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment
IFAK = Improved First Aid Kit
SDU = No idea what it stands for, but it's a rescue strobe (Soldier Distress Unit?)
LBV = Load Bearing Vest (I think)
LCE = Load Carrying Equipment
LBE = Load Bearing Equipment
MOLLE = Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment

I don't understand all these systems they have today, like Alice packs & Mollie packs, or whatever they call them.
Think of ALICE as the combat rig (which can be configured in lots of different ways, and MOLLE as the system of little loops that allow to configure a vest (or pack) with different pouches and equipment.

Sometimes, you'll see PALS = Pouch Attachment Ladder System used also, which is the grid of webbing used in MOLLE gear.

It's pretty darn cool, and really allows you to carry more without feeling the weight.

Downside, you look like a member of a SWAT team, so you're going to be assessed as a seriously armed threat. ;)

A lot of guys at paintball use it. Me? It's 90-something degrees in FL, so I'm in a cammo t-shirt and pants with some combat boots, and one spare ammo tube. :D

That set up brings back many memories for me as well. It it almost identical to the one i carried as a Combat engineer (12B). I was in from 1987-1999.

I like that vest a lot Mr. Loomis. You got a good deal, I would say.

That is sweet getting that, my opinion is im not a big fan of the new digital camo. I like the older woodland bdu camo. but anyway free gear is awesome.

I really like the digital camo. That load bearing set up is extremely satisfactory, in my opinion.

I don't judge on others opinions of what they like, if you like the newer ACU Digital than the older style woodland camo then that's cool. Or if you like the new MOLLE web gear more than the old style ALICE web gear then that's cool too. You choose the gear you like, the things I like about MOLLE is that if you buy a plate carrier and can get plates for it and you can attach pouches any way you choose to put them. The down side I see to MOLLE is lets say you had to get on your stomach and you have a big bulge stomach like myself and on top of more pouches doesn't really work out for me. But again you like the gear and camo you choose:)

DSCF0100.JPG

Just wanted to post an update on my ALICE LBV gear steup.
DSCF0101.JPG

This picture shows my Israeli Civilian Gas Mask with filter and drinking tube.
DSCF0102.JPG

This is a recent add to my collection of military surplus, my PASGT Kevlar Helmet or K-Pot with woodland camouflage helmet cover, cat eye band, and sun wind and dust goggles.
DSCF0103.JPG
This one shows my woodland BDU's , Brahma combat boots, a shemagh, and a boonie hat. I recently sewed on two American flag patches in OD green color, on each arm.
DSCF0104.JPG

Here is my K-Pot again, with the shoulder straps of my LBV. On the left shoulder is a strobe pouch that holds an sdu-5/e with a blue filter, above that are two compass pouches, one holds a cheap compass and the other holds two triangular bandages. On the right shoulder there is just a pair of earplugs, my right shoulder is my firing shoulder. Also in the picture is my shemagh and a patrol cap.
DSCF0105.JPG

Here is a pair of gloves for cold weather and I believe are waterproof but I cannot remember, and next to the gloves are my dog tags that I got as a replacement set since mine went missing a long time ago.
DSCF0106.JPG

This was my grandfather's pilot survival knife, I'm not exactly sure what era its from but I believe its from WWII. If anyone knows for sure please let me know?
DSCF0107.JPG
This is the left side of the pistol belt. It is two M16 magazine pouches with the grenade pouches on the sides cut off, next to those are two 9mm magazine pouches, and a one quart canteen.
DSCF0108.JPG

Here are the two one quart canteens, the one on the right is a little bit smaller for some reason, but the right canteen has a canteen cup and a bottle of water purification tablets, In the middle is the butt pack with nothing in it.
DSCF0109.JPG
This is the right side of the pistol belt, with a M12 pistol holster in new unissued condition and next to that are two more M16 magazine pouches, again with the grenade pouches cut off.

DSCF0111.JPG

Here is the sdu-5/e with the blue filter I mentioned earlier.
DSCF0113.JPG

In this picture are just a few things I had sitting out so I decided to post, but in this picture is a cheap pair of binoculars but work really well, next to that is a first aid kit which I will add to to my alice pack, then is a cheap pair of radios that I am going to eventually replace with better ones, next is about 75 feet of paracord, I am going to get more just haven't got around to doing it. Below is a anglehead flashlight that was originally black but I spray painted it green, then there is a ziploc bag with a military survival manual, western US map, notepad, and a pencil. Lastly is another new addition to my collection, and that is a lightstick holder.
DSCF0114.JPG

These were given to me by my aunt who goes out to yard sales quite frequently and came across these and got them for me, all four of them for $20.
DSCF0115.JPG

Lastly I have my alice pack with a bedroll and a machete tied to it, on the side is a folding shovel with a cover, and last another thing I recently got was a sleep system carrier and inside is the green patrol bag I already had for a while and used while camping but couldn't keep me warm in the sierras next to Caples Lake, so I got a black intermediate sleeping bag to add to the green one and they snap together with button snaps. Last thing to get is a goretex bivy to add more warmth and to help protect me from the elements. I just wanted to post some things as a bit of an update because like I have mentioned I bought a few things to add to the pack and vest. I'd appreciate any comments or questions or recommendations:)

Latest posts

Back