ammo

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter8jl

Reaction score
Realistically how much ammo should I have on hand for rifle calibers ? Handgun calibers? And shotguns? Thank you in advance .

I feel you can never have too much ammo, just look at the ammo shelfs in any store today and what do you see, they are empty, and while they may fill back up soon the prices will never be as low as they were before the ammo buying madness of the fast few months, so if for no other reason to have 5000 rounds of .22lr or #4 12ga or whatever it will only cost more if you need to resupply in the future, and who's to say that you will still be able to buy ammo at all, there are some elected officals out there that are doing everything in their power to take that right away from you as we speak, so buy as much as you can as often as you can. Just say'n....

Personally I'll be getting my shotgun and at minimum 200 rounds. I think if your bugging out then remember that shells are heavy.

Personally I'll be getting my shotgun and at minimum 200 rounds. I think if your bugging out then remember that shells are heavy.

Id say 200 rounds of shotgun for bugging out may be a little heavy/bulky, but if youre fit to do so and thats your preference, why not. :)

I have about 150 rounds of .40 ready to go right now, but ill be getting more when i can find it. Winchester white boxes are very good for packing, i can get almost 300 rounds into one side pocket in my BOB. Realistically though, most things ive seen say 1000 is a good start, and to try and consolidate your calibers!

Another option id look into is possibly a bow or other weapon that can be reused. Ammo can only be used once unless you have a reloading station, arrows can be used multiple times and theyre nearly silent when fired. And keep in mind, at some point, you might need to be quiet.

I feel you can never have too much ammo, just look at the ammo shelfs in any store today and what do you see, they are empty, and while they may fill back up soon the prices will never be as low as they were before the ammo buying madness of the fast few months, so if for no other reason to have 5000 rounds of .22lr or #4 12ga or whatever it will only cost more if you need to resupply in the future, and who's to say that you will still be able to buy ammo at all, there are some elected officals out there that are doing everything in their power to take that right away from you as we speak, so buy as much as you can as often as you can. Just say'n....
I have noticed the supply in stores returning, except .22LR.
However, like you said the prices are NOT coming down at all! I think they are still creeping up.

I have noticed the supply in stores returning, except .22LR.
However, like you said the prices are NOT coming down at all! I think they are still creeping up.
I walked in to Walmart the other day to get my doe tag (which for the first time I didn't get there in time for one) and glanced at the ammo locker, all that was in there? A lonely box of .380 ammo, that's it. I can still remember going not Walmart on the way to camp and buying 1000 rounds of .22lr ammo to put through the pea shooter just messing around.

I don't really stockpile ammo although I might start, but I do have about 100 rounds of .06 and 30.30 ammo laying around and a bunch of various 12 gauge shells.

I walked in to Walmart the other day to get my doe tag (which for the first time I didn't get there in time for one) and glanced at the ammo locker, all that was in there? A lonely box of .380 ammo, that's it. I can still remember going not Walmart on the way to camp and buying 1000 rounds of .22lr ammo to put through the pea shooter just messing around.

I don't really stockpile ammo although I might start, but I do have about 100 rounds of .06 and 30.30 ammo laying around and a bunch of various 12 gauge shells.
here is a chain of Sporting Goods stores out here called Big 5, and their stock has increased. I was in one earlier this week and they had, 45 acp, 40 s&w, .223, 7.62x39, 38, 308. But alas no 22LR was to be had.

Like Wild Man said before, buy what ever you can afford. It wont go down in price. Don't pay insane scalpers prices either. Standardize the calibers you intend to have and try and buy at least 1 box a month or a paycheck as your budget allows. With that being said if you want hard numbers these are my absolute minimum I suggest:

22lr = 5k
223 = 1k
308/30-06 = 500
shotgun 12 or 20 gauge = 500 #6 shot, 100 slugs, 100 buckshot
9mm/40sw/45acp = 500 rounds for each caliber handgun you own

As far as 22lr availability, I hear of people locally being at the right place at the right time and getting a box. I was in a farm store the other day and saw an older gentleman put 5- 100 rd packs of CCI 22lr in his cart. He emptied the shelf. Its the first 22lr ammo I have seen since December. I felt like I won the lottery today when I found a 100 rd box CCI at Walmart. Another 15 seconds later and I would have missed it too as another guy walked up saying he wanted it as the lady unlocked the case to give me the last box they had.

As the saying says: Buy it cheap and stack it deep!!

Like Wild Man said before, buy what ever you can afford. It wont go down in price. Don't pay insane scalpers prices either. Standardize the calibers you intend to have and try and buy at least 1 box a month or a paycheck as your budget allows. With that being said if you want hard numbers these are my absolute minimum I suggest:

22lr = 5k
223 = 1k
308/30-06 = 500
shotgun 12 or 20 gauge = 500 #6 shot, 100 slugs, 100 buckshot
9mm/40sw/45acp = 500 rounds for each caliber handgun you own

As far as 22lr availability, I hear of people locally being at the right place at the right time and getting a box. I was in a farm store the other day and saw an older gentleman put 5- 100 rd packs of CCI 22lr in his cart. He emptied the shelf. Its the first 22lr ammo I have seen since December. I felt like I won the lottery today when I found a 100 rd box CCI at Walmart. Another 15 seconds later and I would have missed it too as another guy walked up saying he wanted it as the lady unlocked the case to give me the last box they had.

As the saying says: Buy it cheap and stack it deep!!
The ammo crunch must be region based. I have no trouble finding .22 at my local gun shop. Not bragging sorry just must be something about were we live.

I am glad to hear that. Maybe the end is in sight for the ammo problems. I personally have my box of deer ammo, a box of 22lr and most of a box of birdshot for the shotgun. It would be nice to find what I need when I go to the store!

What I need to work on is getting some common calibers among my firearms. So I can have fewer calibers to stock up on. Right now I have .556, .40, .45, 12 gauge, .300 win mag. Nice to have a variety but not nice when buying.

Agree w/the above amts esp. in the 22lr.

22lr, 9mm, & .223/5.56s are still scarce around here. Most places only allow you to buy a box at a time. However, if you can get to Academy by about 4AM on a Tuesday or Thursday and be 1st in online when they open you might can get a box and that's no lie. People camp out in front of the store just to get a box. I have seen .308 and 7.62x39 easing up to the point they are no longer monitoring how many boxes you can buy. Ive managed to pick up a box or 2 here and there. 12g, 20g & .410g has never been a prob.

What I need to work on is getting some common calibers among my firearms. So I can have fewer calibers to stock up on. Right now I have .556, .40, .45, 12 gauge, .300 win mag. Nice to have a variety but not nice when buying.

I have been reloading for 24 years now. When I started I had no idea I would get into prepping. This alone has been a HUGE asset in this part of my preps.

Thank you all for your input . I do have one question . When bugging out does always mean by foot ?

Overlord is right, just remember in some circumstances that a car may not be able to be used (traffic jams, possibly an EMP though some results show they dont affect cars much), so dont put everything on the fact that your car will carry you.

Devildog, may have to talk with you and see about possibly having you make some purchases for me of .22LR and shipping them. They are near enough to extinct around here. Were they the big boxes of 333 or 555 rounds or smaller?

Latest posts

Back