America's greatest threat is our vulnerable electrical grid

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of blackouts and stuff, if the bad guys launch nukes with a high EMP output we'll all be in the dark in more ways than one.
For examp, the USA's 'Starfish Prime' nuke test in 1962 frazzled electronics in Hawaii-
WIKI-
"Starfish Prime caused an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) that was far larger than expected..the pulse caused electrical damage in Hawaii, about 900 miles away from the detonation point, knocking out about 300 streetlights, setting off numerous burglar alarms, and damaging a telephone company microwave link.. shutting down telephone calls from Kauai to the other Hawaiian islands"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

Below: very pretty, the Starfish Prime blast seen from Honolulu strutting its stuff 900 miles away at 250 miles altitude-

Starfish-Prime-900miles-at250miles-altitude.jpg

Speaking of blackouts and stuff, if the bad guys launch nukes with a high EMP output we'll all be in the dark in more ways than one.
For examp, the USA's 'Starfish Prime' nuke test in 1962 frazzled electronics in Hawaii-
WIKI-
"Starfish Prime caused an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) that was far larger than expected..the pulse caused electrical damage in Hawaii, about 900 miles away from the detonation point, knocking out about 300 streetlights, setting off numerous burglar alarms, and damaging a telephone company microwave link.. shutting down telephone calls from Kauai to the other Hawaiian islands"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

Below: very pretty, the Starfish Prime blast seen from Honolulu strutting its stuff 900 miles away at 250 miles altitude-

View attachment 18082
you only just realised this? try living for 12 years without any electricity at all.
2 things are top of my prepping list, no electricity followed very quickly by societal collapse.
I would have thought after 20 years on forums you might have learned the basics at least. I guess not!

Last edited:
People lived for thousands of years without electricity, so if they can do it so can we..:)
I recently bought one of these small mini-torches (and another as backup) so I won't be in the dark, you can select different power settings and at the lowest (candle-light) setting the batteries will last for weeks, and needless to say i've laid in a supply of batteries-

fenix.jpg

I will relay what a power outage on a grand scale looks like . When Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast I went on a rescue mission . The most Northern electrical power and gas station was around Lake Village Arkansas . Everything from there to the Gulf Coast was a black out which in my guessamation to be about 600 miles . Cars and trucks were strewn up and down the interstates stranded and out of fuel as all the fuel stations were closed ,dark and guarded by armed guards . It truly looked apoplectic as I am not talking about just a few stranded vehicles but thousands , just like you would see in a end of the world movie . People just sat in their vehicles for days hoping one day to be rescued . The reason I was able to penetrate the darkened world was because I had filled the back of my vehicle with many cans of gasoline that allowed me to reach my goal and return out of that horrific scene . I knew if anyone found the fuel I was carrying I would be in danger of being killed for a can of fuel .-- This apoplectic environment wasn't the direct results of rain and wind but the subsequent loss of the power grid .

Last edited:
the first thing any prospective prepper should do is to get some reliable flashlights and some long life batteries(I recently bought a stock of Procell batteries which is what the professionals use.)
a person will be no good to anyone else or even themselves if they are blundering about in the dark.
earlier in the year I bought several LC flashlights with a powerful beam......and I DO mean powerful, £8.99 each on ebay, no need to break the bank.

I haven't heard what caused the Dallas blackout Glenn Beck posted about? Was it another trial run?

We had storms and there was a tornado warning issued in the area at the time if you are talking about his show being knocked off the air for a while yesterday. I can't see Twitter posts since I don't have an account.

the first thing any prospective prepper should do is to get some reliable flashlights and some long life batteries(I recently bought a stock of Procell batteries which is what the professionals use.)
a person will be no good to anyone else or even themselves if they are blundering about in the dark.
earlier in the year I bought several LC flashlights with a powerful beam......and I DO mean powerful, £8.99 each on ebay, no need to break the bank.

I went with rechargeable batteries, fold up solar panels to charge them and a much larger battery for storage and night charging. I do have regular batteries too.

Being out at BOL2 where there is no light pollution, on moonless nights you can't see your hand in front of your face. That will be everywhere if the grid is out. It will be a darkness many have never experienced. Night vision is your friend if you are going to be walking in the woods.

Also, red lights if you want to maximize your human stealth; less visible to the human eye at a long distance and does not give you night blindness, where you cannot see anything outside the bright beam of your light; fires screw with your night vision as well, don't sit around a fire at night if you are on guard duty.

Green for night game hunting (supposedly game can't see the light but, you can see them). Both work for good flashlights. Generally, cost more than $10 but a decent one can be had for $20.

The thing about real darkness, is that you can see a lit match nearly a mile away. Your eyes are drawn to even a pinprick of light (which is why blackout curtains/shades for all of your windows will be important). More than one soldier over the years has lost their life because of a lit cigarette.

Last edited:
I totally disagree. Russia has shown us the way. When Ukraine bombs or destroys something the Russians think is off limits, they respond by attacking Ukraine's electrical grid. Ukraine is terrified. There are 3 million people in Kiev who would need immediate, almost, life support if the grid was destroyed. There would be a mass exodus out of Kiev.

I say Russia has shown us the way because in the event of CW2, the forces against us would be tied up servicing the useless drones in the big blue cities if those facilities were hit. And they can be hit easily. Imagine Los Angeles or San Francisco totally in the dark? No water, no electricity, no sewage. Mass exodus would occur and the leftists would be hard pressed just to support them.

I went with rechargeable batteries, fold up solar panels to charge them and a much larger battery for storage and night charging. I do have regular batteries too.

Being out at BOL2 where there is no light pollution, on moonless nights you can't see your hand in front of your face. That will be everywhere if the grid is out. It will be a darkness many have never experienced. Night vision is your friend if you are going to be walking in the woods.

Also, red lights if you want to maximize your human stealth; less visible to the human eye at a long distance and does not give you night blindness, where you cannot see anything outside the bright beam of your light; fires screw with your night vision as well, don't sit around a fire at night if you are on guard duty.

Green for night game hunting (supposedly game can't see the light but, you can see them). Both work for good flashlights. Generally, cost more than $10 but a decent one can be had for $20.

The thing about real darkness, is that you can see a lit match nearly a mile away. Your eyes are drawn to even a pinprick of light (which is why blackout curtains/shades for all of your windows will be important). More than one soldier over the years has lost their life because of a lit cigarette.
I've got a stock of batteries, once they run out I've got a large stock of wind up flashlights.
I was told a light can be seen up to 3 miles away.

I will relay what a power outage on a grand scale looks like . When Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast I went on a rescue mission . The most Northern electrical power and gas station was around Lake Village Arkansas . Everything from there to the Gulf Coast was a black out which in my guessamation to be about 600 miles . Cars and trucks were strewn up and down the interstates stranded and out of fuel as all the fuel stations were closed ,dark and guarded by armed guards . It truly looked apoplectic as I am not talking about just a few stranded vehicles but thousands , just like you would see in a end of the world movie . People just sat in their vehicles for days hoping one day to be rescued . The reason I was able to penetrate the darkened world was because I had filled the back of my vehicle with many cans of gasoline that allowed me to reach my goal and return out of that horrific scene . I knew if anyone found the fuel I was carrying I would be in danger of being killed for a can of fuel .-- This apoplectic environment wasn't the direct results of rain and wind but the subsequent loss of the power grid .
thats what I always say when people talk about thousands leaving the city, I dont know about USA but over here most people drive on empty so wont get far before they run out of fuel.

We went with rechargeable batteries too and a few fold up solar panels as well as regular batteries. Just received yet another box of batteries yesterday. We have separate solar panels for our 8 dual band radios. Does anyone know if I can get a dual band base radio to connect with them? They are these type:

BAOFENG BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio​

Can I ask what kind of night vision you use? I’ve bought a few of them, but haven’t been very satisfied. Most likely bought the wrong ones.

Latest posts

Back