Alternative cooking ideas

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't eat bacon grease (except post SHTF) since I try to be health conscious,
I believe that a large number of modern health issues originated with the substitution of hydrogenated vegetable oil for lard and butter in the the name of "healthier alternatives." Turns out lard and butter are much healthier than Crisco and hydrogenated margarine. So then when we found out that hydrogenated vegetable oil was bad, we started using trans-fat (trans-unsaturated fatty acid) substitutes, which turned out to be even more unhealthy. Then we found out that polyunsaturated canola oil was actually toxic.

I do primarily use cold pressed extra-virgin olive oil for frying, but I am not nearly as hesitant to use bacon grease and butter as I used to be. I mean, after all, my grandmother and great-grandmother lived into their late 90s on a steady diet of lard and butter...

I won't eat bacon grease (except post SHTF) since I try to be health conscious, but I have made soap from bacon grease and lye as an experiment, and it worked well...but not as well as vegetable oil.

Also, a mixture of bacon grease and peanut butter will lure just about any animal into a Havahart trap very quickly.

I save bacon grease for these reasons alone, and freeze it in a coffee can in the freezer.
I save all my grease and use it in the Fall for pre baiting coyote sets. Bacon grease mixed with molasses, heated and poured over a garbage can of popcorn makes a great bear bait too.

I don't allow fake butter in my home! I use lard, bacon grease, real butter and olive oils for all my cooking, if the bacon grease is old (same as olive oil) save for wicker type oil lamps, burns dirty best used out outdoors (without chimneys) for lighting but effective in a pinch! wicker type oil lamps (tiki torches) burning bacon grease is an effective lure ;)

EDITED; not for outdoors cold weather use in wicker lamps for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
I mostly use either olive oil or butter for most things.

Why worry about preserving bacon? I can assure you that it last quite a while live on the hoof.

My husband eats bacon like it's his job so we always have a ton around. I only feed it to the dog's once a week as a treat with their food. I prefer them not to have high cholesterol. LOL

Your husband & I are cousins, and work in the same shop.

Bacon grease is 45% monounsaturated fat. You know...that fat that makes olive oil so healthy and increases the good cholesterol...

https://www.docmuscles.com/bacon-grease-healthy-essential-oil/Bacon Grease Is the Healthy Oil

Is bacon grease really healthy? People in my office stress out about getting all the healthy fats and the right amino acids. I am asked all the time, which protein powder they should be taking? Do I prefer fish oil or krill oil? My answer to this is simple.
“Bacon grease.”

il_570xN.411973744_skwv.jpg

My mother had one of these that sat on the counter beside the stove her entire life for bacon grease. Lived to be 94.

Latest posts

Back