Alternative cooking ideas

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no bubble to pop. Science is science. :) My mother died at almost 91, a heavy chain smoker all her life (3 to 4 packs a day). Because she didn't get lung cancer does that mean other smokers wont either? My father died at 64 of lung cancer directly attributed to smoking, and they suspected, exposure to asbestos in the Service. Back in our grandparent's day people were much more active and could cope better with a greasy, salty, carby and fried diet. Your family may also have been blessed with good genes as was my mother and her mother before her. :)

OK, makes sense... just keep in mind HOW YOU GO. You don't want to spend years in a debilitated state with diabetes or heart disease or whatever diet related disease you may be prone to, oxygen tank hung on the back of your wheelchair....

I care about people (and animals), that's what got me into that field to start with. :)

Maybe we need to look in to the lives people live today verses what how our grandparents lived. Lives were definitatly different. I agree they were very active and today society, over half is obesse. This is what normal society is now days. If they had to work their land and grow their own food, or feed and take care of livestock, or break their horses and donkeys, goats, and milk everyday, twice day , they probably wouldn't be in that situation. It is up to a person on what their health is. I understand some of it is hereditary. Both my parents have/had high blood pressure. . . and both over wieght. Dad passed last year due to a rare heart condition that is pass thru the males. My grandfather (on my mom's side) died in 2000 due to prostate cancer. Some things can not be help, but others can. Live the healthiest life you can. And yes I am in good health with no BP problems and not over weith at all. Just so you know, but I do tend to work my butt off everyday focusing on my garden work, taking care of animals, cleaning my home and cooking for my family. It is my husband and I mostly, but with 4 boys, and two of them with wives and 2 serious girlfriends. It's not how much bacon you eat, but how you live.

Maybe we need to look in to the lives people live today verses what how our grandparents lived. Lives were definitely different. I agree they were very active and today society, over half is obese. This is what normal society is now days. If they had to work their land and grow their own food, or feed and take care of livestock, or break their horses and donkeys, goats, and milk everyday, twice day , they probably wouldn't be in that situation. It is up to a person on what their health is. I understand some of it is hereditary. Both my parents have/had high blood pressure. . . and both over weight. Dad passed last year due to a rare heart condition that is pass thru the males. My grandfather (on my mom's side) died in 2000 due to prostate cancer. Some things can not be help, but others can. Live the healthiest life you can. And yes I am in good health with no BP problems and not over weight at all. Just so you know, but I do tend to work my butt off everyday focusing on my garden work, taking care of animals, cleaning my home and cooking for my family. It is my husband and I mostly, but with 4 boys, and two of them with wives and 2 serious girlfriends. It's not how much bacon you eat, but how you live.
Well, Danil54grl, I agree with you. Most of the people I see that are in bad health are the ones that never do sh*t. Your lifestyle being the way it is you should be able to eat all the bacon you want and stay healthy. If our society would do what our grandparents did, they would live longer too. Also the air we breath isn't nearly as clean as theirs was. I guess all we can do is try our best. The best diet I can think of is the " GET OFF YOUR ### DIET". My opinion. But you what opinions are like, we all have one LOL

lol Masterchief. . .it is about how big it is in the long run.

lol Masterchief. . .it is about how big it is in the long run.
Yep, your right about the size. And yea, I know everything is BIG in Texas. LOL. I just picked up 2 more coleman stoves at a garage sale for $5.00 each. I also picked up a hose that you connect to your big propane bottle. That way I can cook for a long time on one 20 pound bottle. I also found an attachment at Harbor Freight that you hook on your big bottle and can fill the little green bottles for stoves or lanterns. I had quite a few little green ones that were empty and of no use to me but with this connector, I can refill them. This will be helpful if we have to bugout. We are setting up a spot along the bayou for if we have to bugout of our bugout location. I have two spots on one of the branchoffs from the bayou ( RIVER, for my northern buddies. LOL) that no one ever goes. It goes about a mi. and a half to two mi. into the swamp. It is to small for a flat bottom boat to get into, but my canoe goes in just fine. We have all the wood we will need to cook or warm ourselves with and all the game we will need to survive. Im glad that you and I don't have to worry about the harsh weather that you friends in the north have to. Also with the big mosquitos we have down here,we can kill and cook just one and have food for a couple of days. LOL. Oh, being on that subject, the best way I've found to keep mosquito repelent I found is garlic. Eat some garlic and they won't bother you. You will smell like sh*t, but won't get bit. Also your husband won't bother you either (unless he eats some too.) LOL. After a survival trip my wife doesn't want me to close to her for a few days. HaHaHa.

Mastercajun, quick question since the idea of bugging out is not something I've considered so far...do you OWN that location or is it public space the you intend to comandeer?

Mastercajun, quick question since the idea of bugging out is not something I've considered so far...do you OWN that location or is it public space the you intend to comandeer?
Good morning Chicknladee. Yes I own the property. I have 7 acres here and 9 acres a couple of miles from here. I was thinking of moving my cattle to the 9 acres but then I wouldn't be able to guard them when TSHTF. Our main house is in the city but that won't be very safe when it hits. Here I have a 360 degree view for about 1/4 to 1/2 mi. My rifles are set for 500yds, 300yds and 150yds. If anyone can get closer than that it will be up to the weapons without scopes, then handguns. I also learned more on booby traps from some of the guys on this site. There are some of the guys here that have alot of experience being in the service. Some of these guys know their sh*t. It would be good for you to have some type of bugout plan. You may never need it but it would be good to have. If nothing else but for peace of mind. The cities will be a bad place to be when TSHTF. Some people have no recource but to stay put. If that is the case with you, fortify, fortify, fortify.

Thanks! We live outside the city ~50 miles. We have 10 acres so I assumed we'd atay put. However I don't really want to stick around here where it can get to 20-30 below! But for now this is what we have!

Here I have a 360 degree view for about 1/4 to 1/2 mi. My rifles are set for 500yds, 300yds and 150yds. If anyone can get closer than that it will be up to the weapons without scopes, then handguns. I also learned more on booby traps from some of the guys on this site. ...

How will you know who to kill at those distances? What if it's just someone who wants to trade a jar of peanut butter for a jar of jelly?

How will you know who to kill at those distances? What if it's just someone who wants to trade a jar of peanut butter for a jar of jelly?
Rv: don't worry yourself about the little things. You and I are all good. As for who to shoot, the scopes I have can give me a clear pic of who is comming. As I said on another post, I don't think it will be just one or two persons that will be comming to get our stuff and do us harm. I think they will form gangs. If it's only one or two, Then I can watch they in the scope until they get closer and see if they are up to no good. With only one or two we can take care of business even when they are close. There will be at least 4 guns on them at all times. Like I said " I will not see my wife and daughter raped as long as Im alive". Now if they kill me, my wife and daughter will have the ability to protect themselves. They both shoot real well. In any case I will not take any chances when it comes to the well being of my family. We all have to die sometime and I've been ready to go for a long time. Again, you and I are all good.

I'm not really sure when the SHTF that you want to be walking around trading peanut butter and jelly. You are probably best off eating what you have. lol If you are concerned with innocent bystanders well in a world that is every man for himself, no one is innocent. I learned that from my Father when he was in Vietnam. Children were used as weapons. How would I know that you don't have some kind of bomb or device in that jar. Unfortunately, if the world turns upside down, civilized people won't exist and I think it's all in how you perceive what the end will be. I for one will not be walking around and approach other people I don't know.

In any case I will not take any chances when it comes to the well being of my family. We all have to die sometime and I've been ready to go for a long time. Again, you and I are all good.

My concern is that once law and order are restored those who shot and killed people will be held accountable. Trying to prove they were about to rob or rape your wife and children wont be easy. A christian nation takes murder very seriously. Even in the wild west of the 1800s people were held accountable. And I believe people would want to barter food and perhaps other things they have. Extra medicine. Extra food. Maybe a cow for two goats. Or maybe, simply going stirbugs alone in the boonies, just want other human beings to talk to. People will have to communicate somehow.

In so large a country anarchy wont last that long.

I'm not really sure when the SHTF that you want to be walking around trading peanut butter and jelly.

That was just an example - see my other post of tonight. In time, people will have to communicate with each other and want to trade for things they don't have. Or trade off things they have too much of. For another example, say, 2 pigs for a dozen laying hens. Or a bottle of Aspirin for a bottle of peroxide. Although law and order will probably be established before that happens.

You are probably best off eating what you have. lol If you are concerned with innocent bystanders well in a world that is every man for himself, no one is innocent. I learned that from my Father when he was in Vietnam. Children were used as weapons. How would I know that you don't have some kind of bomb or device in that jar.

You would have to figure how likely that would be in this country. How many parents you know are willing to blow up their children to get your stash of food? This isn't Vietnam of the 60s and 70s. If everyone becomes paranoid, what happens in the long run? You just can't kill everyone coming along the roadways or near your home or farm. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting from some of the posts I've read here. And how long do most of you think it would last before law and order are restored? Months? Years?

Unfortunately, if the world turns upside down, civilized people won't exist and I think it's all in how you perceive what the end will be. I for one will not be walking around and approach other people I don't know.

I would not approach strangers either, but we all know our neighbors... and not all strangers will be out to kill and rape and pillage. Chaos and no Gov can't last long or this country will be taken over by another. Someone will "rule." As for a total Gov collapse... going broke,... think of Ft Knox in KY and God knows how many other gold stashes our Gov has hidden away.

That was just an example - see my other post of tonight. In time, people will have to communicate with each other and want to trade for things they don't have. Or trade off things they have too much of. For another example, say, 2 pigs for a dozen laying hens. Or a bottle of Aspirin for a bottle of peroxide. Although law and order will probably be established before that happens.

You would have to figure how likely that would be in this country. How many parents you know are willing to blow up their children to get your stash of food? This isn't Vietnam of the 60s and 70s. If everyone becomes paranoid, what happens in the long run? You just can't kill everyone coming along the roadways or near your home or farm. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting from some of the posts I've read here. And how long do most of you think it would last before law and order are restored? Months? Years?

I would not approach strangers either, but we all know our neighbors... and not all strangers will be out to kill and rape and pillage. Chaos and no Gov can't last long or this country will be taken over by another. Someone will "rule." As for a total Gov collapse... going broke,... think of Ft Knox in KY and God knows how many other gold stashes our Gov has hidden away.
Well, RVKitty, I for one think you are living in a fantasy world or at least thinking of one. When TSHTF there will be no law and order at all. And yes it will be every man for himself. If you think for one minute that I won't blow some Bast**ds head off that will be comming to hurt my family, then you really don't know anything about me. I will take my chances with God when the time come for judgement. If your husband is willing to let you and your family get robbed, raped, beat to a pulp, that is his choice. I for one love my family to much for that. I will also take my chances in court (if there ever is one) for killing some mother F**ker that will try to hurt my family. No, this isn't Vietnam (be thankful for that). You weren't in Nam, so all you know is what the news media told you. Some of us old timers that were there can tell you things that would make your head spin around. As for parents killing their kids for your food, there are parents killing their kids for NOTHING now. So do you really think they won't do it when it comes to their own survival? You better think again. You can live your life thinking that everything will be just lovely, but my personal opinion is that you will be living in a dream world. What is about to happen in the USA is going to be reality not fiction. Look around, our country is Broke. The US dollar is no longer backed by gold, in fact, it's really not backed at all. If China pulls their debt, we are sunk.

Kitty: you said that this is not Viet Nam and your right but you only have to look back a few years at Katrina. I lost a home in Katrina and was there for what happened there too. There was killing, looting, rapes by the hundreds if not thousands. So don't tell me it won't happen here. If you don't believe me, just investigate it for yourself. I know personally of at least 20 women that were raped in the Superdoom and many others raped on the street in broad daylight and no one did anything about it. Most people on this site say things about something they know personally, noy what they've heard. The news media didn't show pictures of Plaquimine Parish because of all the dead bodies floating around. I know how it was because I was there. I HAD a home in Belle Chasse(if you can read a map) check and see where it's at. Some of my relatives and friends homes were broken into by gangs and had anything of value stolen. If they had been there they would have been killed just like the many others that were killed, beaten, and yes raped by gangs of looters. There were some women that were raped over and over by gangs of over 7 or 8. So if there were 7 gang members and each one took only 2 TURNS, that means that the woman was raped 14 times in that one instance. If that is what you want for yourself, then keep believing all the crap you are saying. But until you've been there and been through it and know what it was really like, I don't think you should say anything about what you don't know. You don't know anything about Nam except what the news media wanted you to know. Ask anybody that was there and went through it. I know there are some in your area that were there and can tell you what really went on. Fact not fiction. I guess I said to much and might get thrown off this site, but I had to say it. I hope I didn't offend anyone else. I just said the facts. If Im to be judged for that, well so be it. Im not going to let my family go through any of the horiffic things that are comming. The only way they will have to go through any of it is if I'm DEAD DEAD DEAD. I was willing to die in Nam and was willing to die during Katrina to protect my family and I'm more willing to die now to protect them. ARE YOU WILLING TO DO THE SAME?

Here I have a 360 degree view for about 1/4 to 1/2 mi. My rifles are set for 500yds, 300yds and 150yds. If anyone can get closer than that it will be up to the weapons without scopes, then handguns.
I too have the perimeter of the house set up with interlocking fields of fire at different ranges
I also learned more on booby traps from some of the guys on this site.
this is an area i know absolutely nothing about except for a couple things some 18 series guys showed me

Mastercajun, you definitely did not offend me in the least. I agree with you.
Thanks old_anorak. I didn't think I would offend anyone else. I just had to speek my mind. I've been there and seen what people turn into when things get bad. And we haven't seen anything like what is about to happen in this country. I love my family more than anything on this earth and will die to protect them. I was willing to die to protect this country and my fellow citizens in the past and will do so again if need be. Thanks again old_anorak. By the way how is your headache? I've made alot of good freinds here and worry when some of you guys get down.

Mastercajun, thank you for asking. I finally ended up taking a shot for relief. I hate taking it because I don't like the side effects, but it had got to the point that trepanny (drilling a hole in the skull to relieve pressure or evil spirits) was sounding like a really good idea.

Latest posts

Back