Alternative bug-out-vehicles....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have checked into most of these alternative manual labor BOV. That was when I first got interested in Prepping, THEN reality set it. Too old, too tired, too physically unfit, too far to go and too damn stubborn to get run off. I plan to do an Alamo if needed but I will not be bugging out. The article doe provide many good items and info food for thought. Some are low budget and othrs are real darn expensive. I enjoyed the article.

I use a bicycle almost exclusively to get around, which helps keep me fit.

I also use a bike trailer for groceries and other items, which was very practical and useful.

Do you folks remember when gas was $4.00 a gallon?

It gave me a great deal of satisfaction to pedal to the store with my bike trailer and say "$4.00 a gallon? Go f---- yourself. Shove your gasoline right up your a---." when I went past the gas station.

A bike is great after a hurricane because it can be carried through water, it can be ridden across medians and around obsticals, and it consumes no gasoline...which is better reserved for generators. It is also easier to repair and maintain then a car.

My bicycle allowed me to get to work on time when everyone else's car was flooded, and they were stranded.

My sitation may not apply to everyone, though, as Florida is tropical, and quite flat.

@Kevin L I think in your location a bike with trailer / cart is an excellent idea. In many parts of my neck of the woods, rope for repelling down cliffs might be better. ;) I did check into some of the electric bikes and liked them but again cost and limited carrying capacity was a negative for ME. In your location and age bracket, I would really be looking at them again. :D

@Kevin L I think in your location a bike with trailer / cart is an excellent idea. In many parts of my neck of the woods, rope for repelling down cliffs might be better. ;) I did check into some of the electric bikes and liked them but again cost and limited carrying capacity was a negative for ME. In your location and age bracket, I would really be looking at them again. :D
Thank you.

Though I wouldn't be happy if my motorized vehicle was no longer an option. My folks live about 2 miles away. I would rather bike there than walk. It would save me a lot of time, I could be there in 10 minutes instead of 30. In any case, I would use my cross bike probably as it has gears, I also have a cruiser type bike but it is more for going to flea markets and town wide yard sales, but it is a second option. I could also ride my 1985 lawn mower if I needed to. I did some research on good heavy duty bikes and the best deal and most well made is the Huffy HD-120 Industrial bike. It doesn't cost too much. Here is the site for the bike.
https://www.industrialbicycles.com/store/p/18941-Husky-HD-120-Industrial-Bicycle.aspx

I prefer a mountain bike or a hybrid mountain/road bike.

A mountain bike (made for off-road) better handles potholes, road debris, and is more manouverable than a road bike.

The trade-off, though, is speed. My mountain bike will take more time to arrive at the destination, but I'll have better odds of getting there without any mechanical mishaps.

Currently, I ride a higher-end Trek hybrid that seems to give me the best of both worlds.

If you guys choose to cultivate your bicycling skills into your prepping, make sure you spend the money and get a higher-end, properly fitted bike from a dedicated bike shop.

Don't go to Walmart, Sears, or Target to get a bike...unless you only plan to use it as a back-up bike if your nice bike is in the shop.

The axle broke on my last Walmart bike. I've been buying Specialized, Trek, and Jamis ever since. You can get some good deals on used quality bikes.

I have a Specialized Crosstrail hybrid that I tried to use offroad and damn near killed myself when I lost control downhill. I put 29'er tires on it and now it can really go offroad.

I prefer a mountain bike or a hybrid mountain/road bike.

A mountain bike (made for off-road) better handles potholes, road debris, and is more manouverable than a road bike.

The trade-off, though, is speed. My mountain bike will take more time to arrive at the destination, but I'll have better odds of getting there without any mechanical mishaps.

Currently, I ride a higher-end Trek hybrid that seems to give me the best of both worlds.

If you guys choose to cultivate your bicycling skills into your prepping, make sure you spend the money and get a higher-end, properly fitted bike from a dedicated bike shop.

Don't go to Walmart, Sears, or Target to get a bike...unless you only plan to use it as a back-up bike if your nice bike is in the shop.
Yea, I guess the most expensive bikes they have are still not much good for travel. Just for hobby biking. I got a cheap cross Schwinn bike there several years ago(made in Taiwan) and it is just for a little exercise, not much else. Then I have a cruiser that I use for flea markets and such. but if I were to get very serious I would be after some sort of cross bike, 1-2 K, or Industrial bike that will carry big loads (400 lbs?). I doubt I would be biking very far, if going cross country, like days of biking then you need a good bike. Not only a good bike but get heavy duty tubes, not the cheapo kind at Walmart.

The axle broke on my last Walmart bike. I've been buying Specialized, Trek, and Jamis ever since. You can get some good deals on used quality bikes.

I have a Specialized Crosstrail hybrid that I tried to use offroad and damn near killed myself when I lost control downhill. I put 29'er tires on it and now it can really go offroad.
I haven't been on a bike for years, when I got on this year, I thought I was going to wreck just getting off. Of course what I have is probably not fitted like it should be. but I can't afford a custom bike, it's off the rack and I adjust to my size according to standard instructions. It has taken me several trips up and down the drive to feel like I am not going to crash into the weeds. Then I forget which one I am on and where the brakes are, one has on the handle bars and one pedals. Charlie Chaplin on a bike, that's me, but I am getting better slowly and I need to shed some pounds, that makes a difference too of course. Chubby Charlie. Heard Trek was a good one.

I purchased a hybrid bike a couple of years ago and have been doing 6 plus miles every weekend day that the weather allows. I have done up to 8 miles around the neighborhood, which has some hills. Figure it would be good to use in case no car and I can keep in shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

citizen_miami_folding_animation.gif
Incidentally, a folding bike should be in every prepper's stash.

You can keep it in your car as a kind of lifeboat in case you break down (or EMP occurs).

If you commute to work, the bike can be folded down and taken on a bus or train.

Also, it's harder for such a bike to get stolen when you ride it to work and put it under your desk.

Lastly, if you use a bike trailer like I do, post SHTF you can ride a full-sized bike with a folding bike in the trailer, and deliver it to a family or friend who needs to get home.

I used such a bike when commuting by train, and saved huge amounts of money with regards to gasoline. A folding bike is great if you like to attend things like art festivals, sporting events, or concerts where there is no parking.

You merely park far away, unfold the bike, and pedal to the occasion.

There are even collapsable bike trailers that are compatible with folding bikes, so you can take vaulables and stuff from your car with you if you have to abandon your vehicle.

Lastly, a collapsible bike is easier to hide and stash if things go sideways and there's no rule of law.

As an aside, I have used night vision goggles with a bike at night with no lights, and it works well.

Utter silence, and no one knows you're there.

As an aside, I have used night vision goggles with a bike at night with no lights, and it works well.

"What was that thud dear?"
"I don't know honey, I didn't see anything. Must have been a limb in the road"

View attachment 8977 Incidentally, a folding bike should be in every prepper's stash.

You can keep it in your car as a kind of lifeboat in case you break down (or EMP occurs).

If you commute to work, the bike can be folded down and taken on a bus or train.

Also, it's harder for such a bike to get stolen when you ride it to work and put it under your desk.

Lastly, if you use a bike trailer like I do, post SHTF you can ride a full-sized bike with a folding bike in the trailer, and deliver it to a family or friend who needs to get home.

I used such a bike when commuting by train, and saved huge amounts of money with regards to gasoline. A folding bike is great if you like to attend things like art festivals, sporting events, or concerts where there is no parking.

You merely park far away, unfold the bike, and pedal to the occasion.

There are even collapsable bike trailers that are compatible with folding bikes, so you can take vaulables and stuff from your car with you if you have to abandon your vehicle.

Lastly, a collapsible bike is easier to hide and stash if things go sideways and there's no rule of law.

I like the idea of the folding bike, but so far other projects have come first.

I purchased a hybrid bike a couple of years ago and have been doing 6 plus miles every weekend day that the weather allows. I have done up to 8 miles around the neighborhood, which has some hills. Figure it would be good to use in case no car and I can keep in shape.

I would love to tackle that. right now the heat in triple digits heat index. But when the weather cools, there is so much to do before winter. Never enough time.

A bike and a boat are they way to go over in Finland there are more lakes than I care to count.
Got a boat two days ago, a donation from my son. Was very surprised, even have a trolling motor. Unfortunately there isn't a boat ramp on my property, so how to did it down the bank and back. In any case if I need to leave from the back I can push it down there and at least get to the other side.

I live in central texas, we have hills and flats, and lots of STUDENTS. I'm a 50yo fat guy, who is in shape(round) I bought a worksman trike. To haul my fat behind around. That thing has a 800lb capacity. I also have a repurposed bike trailer. For cargo. That folds flat. . The issue of bikes around here in shtf situation is going to be interesting. More and more students are subscribing to the rent a bike thing. Where they have an app on their phone. To unlock the bike till they are done with it. So, if the cell networks go down. They are on foot.

I live in central texas, we have hills and flats, and lots of STUDENTS. I'm a 50yo fat guy, who is in shape(round) I bought a worksman trike. To haul my fat behind around. That thing has a 800lb capacity. I also have a repurposed bike trailer. For cargo. That folds flat. . The issue of bikes around here in shtf situation is going to be interesting. More and more students are subscribing to the rent a bike thing. Where they have an app on their phone. To unlock the bike till they are done with it. So, if the cell networks go down. They are on foot.

http://www.happypreppers.com/trike.html

Latest posts

Back