All things Prep!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because of this topic and another one,else where.i've started a new list of foods to buy.including water.and the foods im going with.are foods that we're low on.but deffently not out of..:D...

P.S. edit..one thing i plan on getting,when i find some that'll work.and at the right price..are mirrors for setting up behind my oil lamps to give off more light..

Last edited:
a lot of these links are broken or point to non-existent websites. Can you or someone go back and fix them so that the info is available?

here's something i mentioned in This weeks preps check-in
well,I'll be..mom is finally getting rid of A LOT of old clothes.i already have a bunch of room in my closet for preps now,plus we just dealt with clothes from the laundry-room..she's thinking of a floor type cabinet for food in that location.then another cabinet for food,where the home made shelves are,in which it'll be for food as well. .her bedroom closet will be next...then the hall closet..preppers paradise.all in all..freeing up lots of space for preps..

now here's what i accidentally failed to mention..
there were 3 or 4 shirts/blouse's with buttons.i used the scissor on my multi tool plier,to remove the buttons,and then added the buttons to my sewing kit..never know when a extra button or 2,will come in handy.i have a warm jacket in which i found on the side of the road last year..(washed n dried)only thing is.i had to add buttons to the cuffs of it.in which i had on hand,on account i saved some buttons from something else that had to be thrown away..

That's a good idea...removing buttons from old clothes.

That's a good idea...removing buttons from old clothes.
We are really lucky to be alive and in this country at this time in history. We are all living so comfortably that it's easy to forget that times weren't always like this, nor will be guaranteed in the future. I think in a shtf or even just an economic downturn we will be recycling a lot more than just buttons. Brings to mind my father in law. He was a second generation cobbler. People used to fix things. When I have a pair of shoes that get beat I just chunk them. It's hard to even find a shoe repair shop now.

I've been wanting to get a collapsible bedsisde/camping toilet. .with bucket n lid.bio degradable bags..and a diaper pail if the TP runs out.and the water stops flowing.
Just found one that i figure to be good for home use when the plumbing is froze up as well as camping. Plus it'll be good in a wrose case scenario
https://www.google.com/search?num=2.....0i71j35i39.t7q9A6q_iv8#imgrc=_LriANn6D7fJ9M:

A good addition, whether rural or urban. sure beat hanging your tush over the balcony. :eek:

I've been wanting to get a collapsible bedsisde/camping toilet. .with bucket n lid.bio degradable bags..and a diaper pail if the TP runs out.and the water stops flowing.
Just found one that i figure to be good for home use when the plumbing is froze up as well as camping. Plus it'll be good in a wrose case scenario
https://www.google.com/search?num=2.....0i71j35i39.t7q9A6q_iv8#imgrc=_LriANn6D7fJ9M:

This is ours
Tool Portaloo Thetford 565.jpg
Thetford 565.jpg

I've recently started a new hobby... right, because I have plenty of free time (not really). Anyway, I've started smoking meats. It is quite easy, and I managed to build my own smoker from a 55 gallon, steel drum with a removable lid.

Here's a link to an Ugly Drum Smoker (55 Gallon drum smoker): Ultimate Ugly Drum Smoker. It's fairly over-the-top, but it give you a good idea on what to do. Mine is MUCH more basic. I built mine for ~$65, and it works AWESOME!

and here's a link about making your own 'lump' charcoal: How To Make Lump Charcoal - The Naked Whiz's Ceramic Charcoal Cooker. Super simple...

I like the idea of having a smoker for bug-in situations because it allows for variety. It also (due to slow-and-low cooking techniques) helps to tenderize/soften otherwise tougher meats. I recently smoked a deer ham (after soaking in a brine, then marinading), and it was as tender as a filet. You can also tune your temperatures down and use the smoker as a dehydrater, but it'll take some practice.

The CONs:
- it requires fire
- non-portable for bug-outs
- smoke will indicate someone is 'home'
- the smell is AWESOME, and it might attract non-preppers
- it requires fuel (wood) vice something else (like a solar oven/cooker).

Just a few thoughts.
In my community Dracos smoked turkeys are better than gold, silver, or paper money. That's why I'm going to Texas when the weather clears.

I recently. Got a propane smoker for 100 bucks. I am new to smoking and have only done a rabbit in it so far, which turned out pretty good. I have a slab of ribs to try next (drool). I plan to get a large propane tank set in the yard soon, so decided to go with propane vs wood. I'm interested to learn more about smoking for preservation, but will enjoy it for everyday cooking as well.
Propane will never do as good a job as I can do can do. Just like robots will never paint a Master piece.

I can’t argue that smoking with hardwoods is better for flavor than propane. Propane is just way easier for cooking during the week and when busy. The propane has trays over the burner, one for the water and one for sticks. I usually use apple sticks. I’m still working on pruning all my fruit trees here and will save a box of them just for smoking. The Apple seem to be the best branches But I have plumb, cherry and pear too.

Lots of times I will smoke ribs for just a little bit and then finish up slow cooking In the oven. That way I get the flavor and ease of not having to tend the smoker. Now that I’ve discovered the instapot though, there is no better way to cook ribs or most meats. Quick, easy and tender. Most kitchen gadgets aren’t worth having but the instapot for cooking and the air fryer for reheating are awesome.

The only stuff over here I know that gets smoked a lot is Gammon and Ham, and of course Kippers.

show your house and your work, anonymous troll ... you are a simple chatterbox who deceives the Americans ... you have nothing

because of this topic and another one,else where.i've started a new list of foods to buy.including water.and the foods im going with.are foods that we're low on.but deffently not out of..:D...

P.S. edit..one thing i plan on getting,when i find some that'll work.and at the right price..are mirrors for setting up behind my oil lamps to give off more light..

in regard to that light refracting using mirrors >>> if you can cut glass - the 12" X12" mirror tiles are cheap usage cut to fit inside a picture frame

Latest posts

Back