All things Prep!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kriptic

Reaction score
Ok I’m creating this thread in order to compile a list of links to information that could be useful to beginning and experienced preppers alike. Ideally this will get a sticky :) and this will be a spot we can direct new folks for information.

What this thread is: Links to sites, pdfs, youtube videos, or other documents that contain information that is relevant and useful for being self reliant or preparing for natural disaster, TEOTWAWKI, or a thousand other reasons in-between. This could be anything from Bug out bags to alternative energies to field dressing that giant buck you shot.

What this thread is NOT: This is not the thread to try and sell something you like, you make, or your cousin Pookie makes. I’m sure it’s awesome but start a separate thread for it. It is also not the place to share the latest sale at Bubba’s Tactical bait shop. Those are temporary and the idea behind this list is that it should be as good five years from now, as it is today.

This is a community effort, if you want a category, link or other information added, post in this thread and I will fix it/update it. I will be updating the list with your submissions as often as I can, probably once a day but at least once every other day.

ALSO, please do not post links to copyrighted materials. They will not be included in this list and could potentially get you a severe flogging by a really surly dude named Hank. Dont do it!

H/T to greatnorthernprepper.com A lot of this information is housed by them. Add em to your daily read.

Bug Out (There are probably thousands of Bug out lists on the internet. Google it, but I will post a few)
Bug out Bag checklist
Bug out Bag shopping list
Build your own Bug out Bag
Bug out Vehicle Basics

Food Prep
3 month food supply checklist
Basic food storage plan for 1 year
Solar Cookers - How to make, use and enjoy.
builditsolar.com - Plans for many types of solar cookers
Dehydrating foods without a dehydrator
Building a smokehouse
Homemade smoker
How to make your own lump charcoal

Gardening
Introduction to Gardening
Vegetable Garden Basics
20' x 20' Garden Plan
Square Foot Gardening

Container Gardening
Growing Vegetables in Containers - Cornell Univ.
Container Gardening - Iowa State Univ.
Vegetable Gardening in Containers - Texas A&M

Foraging

Composting
Composting yard wastes
Everything you have always wanted to know about composting

Irrigation
Intro to Drip Irrigation
Drip Irrigation for Home Gardens

Water
Water Purification

First Aid
Survival and Austere Medicine
Manage of dead bodies - post disaster.

Herbal Medicine

Misc.
SurvivalBlogs List of Lists - Lists for EVERY aspect of prep
Army field manuals
Army field manuals part deux

Alternative Energies

NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical)
Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Handbook
FM3-5 NBC Decontamination

HAM Radio
How to build receiver/transmitting antenna's

Homesteading
Home distillation of alcohol

Bushcraft
Fishing knots, baits, & lures

Gunsmithing

Knifesmithing
Knife Sharpening
more Knife Sharpening

I would like to see methods of dehydrating meats, fruits, vegetables for storage once we are bugged out and living off the land. I'm also interested in how to set up a meat house for smoking/preserving meats, but I'm not certain it can be done without the use of salt (which I probably won't have in excess at my bug out location). Thanks so much for all the information you've compiled here thus far! It's great! :)

I've recently started a new hobby... right, because I have plenty of free time (not really). Anyway, I've started smoking meats. It is quite easy, and I managed to build my own smoker from a 55 gallon, steel drum with a removable lid.

Here's a link to an Ugly Drum Smoker (55 Gallon drum smoker): http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Ugly-Drum-Smoker/. It's fairly over-the-top, but it give you a good idea on what to do. Mine is MUCH more basic. I built mine for ~$65, and it works AWESOME!

and here's a link about making your own 'lump' charcoal: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/makinglump.htm. Super simple...

I like the idea of having a smoker for bug-in situations because it allows for variety. It also (due to slow-and-low cooking techniques) helps to tenderize/soften otherwise tougher meats. I recently smoked a deer ham (after soaking in a brine, then marinading), and it was as tender as a filet. You can also tune your temperatures down and use the smoker as a dehydrater, but it'll take some practice.

The CONs:
- it requires fire
- non-portable for bug-outs
- smoke will indicate someone is 'home'
- the smell is AWESOME, and it might attract non-preppers
- it requires fuel (wood) vice something else (like a solar oven/cooker).

Just a few thoughts.

I would like to see methods of dehydrating meats, fruits, vegetables for storage once we are bugged out and living off the land. I'm also interested in how to set up a meat house for smoking/preserving meats, but I'm not certain it can be done without the use of salt (which I probably won't have in excess at my bug out location). Thanks so much for all the information you've compiled here thus far! It's great! :)

I found a very basic how to on dehydrating methods other then dehydrator and a homemade smokehouse that looks pretty awesome. I added them both, if you find anything better primitive dehydrating methods, please let me know and I'll add it in.

I was unable to find much on curing meats without using salt. If you find something let me know.

I've recently started a new hobby... right, because I have plenty of free time (not really). Anyway, I've started smoking meats. It is quite easy, and I managed to build my own smoker from a 55 gallon, steel drum with a removable lid.

Here's a link to an Ugly Drum Smoker (55 Gallon drum smoker): http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Ugly-Drum-Smoker/. It's fairly over-the-top, but it give you a good idea on what to do. Mine is MUCH more basic. I built mine for ~$65, and it works AWESOME!

and here's a link about making your own 'lump' charcoal: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/makinglump.htm. Super simple...

I like the idea of having a smoker for bug-in situations because it allows for variety. It also (due to slow-and-low cooking techniques) helps to tenderize/soften otherwise tougher meats. I recently smoked a deer ham (after soaking in a brine, then marinading), and it was as tender as a filet. You can also tune your temperatures down and use the smoker as a dehydrater, but it'll take some practice.

The CONs:
- it requires fire
- non-portable for bug-outs
- smoke will indicate someone is 'home'
- the smell is AWESOME, and it might attract non-preppers
- it requires fuel (wood) vice something else (like a solar oven/cooker).

Just a few thoughts.

Thanks for the links. I added them both.

Was reading about distillation not too long ago too. I stumbled across this site: http://homedistiller.org/equip/designs

The site is very informative and easy to read. Just a word of caution though, don't forget that the distillation of alcohol is still illegal. I'd consider building one for fuel and water, but I'd also consider one for alcohol during a SHTF situation too. It's good for medical situations (cleaning wounds, etc). If it's pure enough, you can use it as a fuel source too.

I found a very basic how to on dehydrating methods other then dehydrator and a homemade smokehouse that looks pretty awesome. I added them both, if you find anything better primitive dehydrating methods, please let me know and I'll add it in.

I was unable to find much on curing meats without using salt. If you find something let me know.

Okay, I found a site that doesn't quite meet the primitive dehydration methods I was seeking, but it did get my wheels to spinning... literally. The link to the site is http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=136557 and I watched all the videos listed there. The Alton Brown "Good Eats" episode was my favorite (it's a split episode and appears as the last two links in the list of videos). Alton mentions creating a food dehydrator from a box fan and some cellulose air filters. He's quirky and scientific at the same time in his explanation of why the use of the cool air that is better than the use of heat in the dehydration process. Here's where my wheels started turning... I have a stationary bicycle that I try and ride daily. (You see where this is going yet?) The way the front 'wheel' is set up it's quite like a box fan with slatted vents around a paddle-type wheel that's continually forcing air up through the vents. If I could figure out a way to create the air filter inserts for my bike I'd be able to dehydrate my food while promoting my healthy physique. It would likely make my house smell a bit odd, but it would work in the event that I have to dehydrate foods to survive. I think I could buy some of those inexpensive blue cellulose "cut-to-fit" air filters and shape them like donuts, rig them as Alton does in his video -- only on each side of my bike's front wheel -- and start to dehydrate everything! Those blue filters (not the insulation kind) seem durable enough to wash and reuse. They would work well for prolonged usage in a bug out situation (if you had a hand crank fan or stationary bicycle in your bug out location). It's not truly primitive since it involves modern day mechanisms, but it would work... I think. :)

Okay, I found a site that doesn't quite meet the primitive dehydration methods I was seeking, but it did get my wheels to spinning... literally. The link to the site is http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=136557 and I watched all the videos listed there. The Alton Brown "Good Eats" episode was my favorite (it's a split episode and appears as the last two links in the list of videos). Alton mentions creating a food dehydrator from a box fan and some cellulose air filters. He's quirky and scientific at the same time in his explanation of why the use of the cool air that is better than the use of heat in the dehydration process. Here's where my wheels started turning... I have a stationary bicycle that I try and ride daily. (You see where this is going yet?) The way the front 'wheel' is set up it's quite like a box fan with slatted vents around a paddle-type wheel that's continually forcing air up through the vents. If I could figure out a way to create the air filter inserts for my bike I'd be able to dehydrate my food while promoting my healthy physique. It would likely make my house smell a bit odd, but it would work in the event that I have to dehydrate foods to survive. I think I could buy some of those inexpensive blue cellulose "cut-to-fit" air filters and shape them like donuts, rig them as Alton does in his video -- only on each side of my bike's front wheel -- and start to dehydrate everything! Those blue filters (not the insulation kind) seem durable enough to wash and reuse. They would work well for prolonged usage in a bug out situation (if you had a hand crank fan or stationary bicycle in your bug out location). It's not truly primitive since it involves modern day mechanisms, but it would work... I think. :)

Awesome.

I knew I reserved posts #2 and #3 for a reason. What I will do is use post #2 to embed videos exclusively per topic. Great find mo-moh, I will get this done tonight when I get home.

Was reading about distillation not too long ago too. I stumbled across this site: http://homedistiller.org/equip/designs

The site is very informative and easy to read. Just a word of caution though, don't forget that the distillation of alcohol is still illegal. I'd consider building one for fuel and water, but I'd also consider one for alcohol during a SHTF situation too. It's good for medical situations (cleaning wounds, etc). If it's pure enough, you can use it as a fuel source too.

Added under homesteading. Thanks ME_prepper

After moving my family and I have will have a small place of gardening. If there has been a war (EG nuclear war) how do we know we can actually use the field for anything at all? Is it possible to check the quality of the field?

Ok I’m creating this thread in order to compile a list of links to information that could be useful to beginning and experienced preppers alike. Ideally this will get a sticky :) and this will be a spot we can direct new folks for information.

What this thread is: Links to sites, pdfs, youtube videos, or other documents that contain information that is relevant and useful for being self reliant or preparing for natural disaster, TEOTWAWKI, or a thousand other reasons in-between. This could be anything from Bug out bags to alternative energies to field dressing that giant buck you shot.

What this thread is NOT: This is not the thread to try and sell something you like, you make, or your cousin Pookie makes. I’m sure it’s awesome but start a separate thread for it. It is also not the place to share the latest sale at Bubba’s Tactical bait shop. Those are temporary and the idea behind this list is that it should be as good five years from now, as it is today.

This is a community effort, if you want a category, link or other information added, post in this thread and I will fix it/update it. I will be updating the list with your submissions as often as I can, probably once a day but at least once every other day.

ALSO, please do not post links to copyrighted materials. They will not be included in this list and could potentially get you a severe flogging by a really surly dude named Hank. Dont do it!

H/T to greatnorthernprepper.com A lot of this information is housed by them. Add em to your daily read.

Bug Out (There are probably thousands of Bug out lists on the internet. Google it, but I will post a few)
Bug out Bag checklist
Bug out Bag shopping list
Build your own Bug out Bag
Bug out Vehicle Basics

Food Prep
3 month food supply checklist
Basic food storage plan for 1 year
Solar Cookers - How to make, use and enjoy.
builditsolar.com - Plans for many types of solar cookers
Dehydrating foods without a dehydrator
Building a smokehouse
Homemade smoker
How to make your own lump charcoal

Gardening
Introduction to Gardening
Vegetable Garden Basics
20' x 20' Garden Plan
Square Foot Gardening

Container Gardening
Growing Vegetables in Containers - Cornell Univ.
Container Gardening - Iowa State Univ.
Vegetable Gardening in Containers - Texas A&M

Foraging

Composting
Composting yard wastes
Everything you have always wanted to know about composting

Irrigation
Intro to Drip Irrigation
Drip Irrigation for Home Gardens

Water
Water Purification

First Aid
Survival and Austere Medicine
Manage of dead bodies - post disaster.

Herbal Medicine

Misc.
SurvivalBlogs List of Lists - Lists for EVERY aspect of prep
Army field manuals
Army field manuals part deux

Alternative Energies

NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical)
Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Handbook
FM3-5 NBC Decontamination

HAM Radio
How to build receiver/transmitting antenna's

Homesteading
Home distillation of alcohol

Bushcraft
Fishing knots, baits, & lures

Gunsmithing

Knifesmithing
Knife Sharpening
more Knife Sharpening

5)
THE MEDICAL BOOK IS ON POINT.... I have in my aid-bag (M5) just about everything listed to include cric kit, intubation kit, suture set most meds until they expire, which they normally are good for an additional 6 months after exp date.I have and know how to do 99% of the procedures in this book....I am also an EMT/ EMT Wilderness Instructor and CPR Instructor, everyone ought to atleast know the basic in Medicine....Another good book for the laymen to have is called DITCH MEDICINE ..

Latest posts

Back