Adelaide Local

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake M

Reaction score
Hello there to fellow Australians!

Im very new to this sort of thing but Ive always been very aware of how fragile society is, diasters happen and the system isnt very flexible and able to handle it.

Me and other members of my family and extended friends decided to take some responsibility for our lives (the governments not going to help you in a major crisis) and do some basic preparing.

We spent about two months areguing/researching bug out bag configerations, sifting through all the brands and price ranges. I think we have a pretty comprehensive (but light) kit sorted out now that we all have one each of. Our general goal was to have a jacket with everything you needed for 72 hours going "bush" (as bags can be stolen or left behind) and a bag for everything you need for a few weeks.

We are working on a camping trailer being ready by Christmas with the goal of being stocked up for months to establish some sort of longer lasting campsite.

Hope to God nothing happens so bad you need to flee populated environments, ide much rather have a week long blackout and eat rice and pinto beans in the comfort of my own home.

Im just moving into a bit of minor food and water prep now, going for a few weeks worth of food/water as well as enough fuel backup to reach a few "bug out" locations in the event that you have to leave Adelaide.

I guess what im concerned about? Nor really worried but conscious things CAN and DO happen.

A pandemic is right up on my list, every hundred years or so some crazy virus gives humanity the smackdown. Solar flares can knock out huge swathes of the power grid for long periods of time *shrugs* sounds crazy but its happened before. Near earth objects can cause havoc with earths weather systems, earthquakes can cause tsunamis, flooding is a problem. Wars happen, alot. I bet for every disaster i can think of you guys could think of a few more.

I dont think it really matters, things just happen and its outside of my control, but I watched horrified at how many were just left to fend for themselves in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, did the government feed, clothe and give them water? Hell no. Took weeks to get bottled water in if I remember correctly, and this was FEMA and the United States of America. With their huge airlifting capacity, navy and army.

In the event of a massive catastrophe we will be on our own. Maybe for a few days, maybe a week. Of course they will try but is it practically possible to help everyone all the time no matter what? course not. By global standards our stockpiles are next to nothing, and our military/government reaction to disasters very much so limited.

So many people would be so screwed if they had to look after themselves for a week.

Hello there to fellow Australians!

Im very new to this sort of thing but Ive always been very aware of how fragile society is, diasters happen and the system isnt very flexible and able to handle it.

Me and other members of my family and extended friends decided to take some responsibility for our lives (the governments not going to help you in a major crisis) and do some basic preparing.

We spent about two months areguing/researching bug out bag configerations, sifting through all the brands and price ranges. I think we have a pretty comprehensive (but light) kit sorted out now that we all have one each of. Our general goal was to have a jacket with everything you needed for 72 hours going "bush" (as bags can be stolen or left behind) and a bag for everything you need for a few weeks.

We are working on a camping trailer being ready by Christmas with the goal of being stocked up for months to establish some sort of longer lasting campsite.

Hope to God nothing happens so bad you need to flee populated environments, ide much rather have a week long blackout and eat rice and pinto beans in the comfort of my own home.

Im just moving into a bit of minor food and water prep now, going for a few weeks worth of food/water as well as enough fuel backup to reach a few "bug out" locations in the event that you have to leave Adelaide.

I guess what im concerned about? Nor really worried but conscious things CAN and DO happen.

A pandemic is right up on my list, every hundred years or so some crazy virus gives humanity the smackdown. Solar flares can knock out huge swathes of the power grid for long periods of time *shrugs* sounds crazy but its happened before. Near earth objects can cause havoc with earths weather systems, earthquakes can cause tsunamis, flooding is a problem. Wars happen, alot. I bet for every disaster i can think of you guys could think of a few more.

I dont think it really matters, things just happen and its outside of my control, but I watched horrified at how many were just left to fend for themselves in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, did the government feed, clothe and give them water? Hell no. Took weeks to get bottled water in if I remember correctly, and this was FEMA and the United States of America. With their huge airlifting capacity, navy and army.

In the event of a massive catastrophe we will be on our own. Maybe for a few days, maybe a week. Of course they will try but is it practically possible to help everyone all the time no matter what? course not. By global standards our stockpiles are next to nothing, and our military/government reaction to disasters very much so limited.

So many people would be so screwed if they had to look after themselves for a week.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Hello there! I echo your sentiments exactly, did you hear about those scientists in Norwegia (spellcheck needed for this word I know :) ) that are designing a killer flu virus to 'show they can'? If thats not playing with fire I dunno what is.

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and prepping in general. I live in the Adelaide CBD, and I know it's not the safest place to be in the face of collapse. I'm changing jobs and hoping to move back into the Adelaide Hills within the next six months. I have begun a moderate food stash and veggie garden, and my boyfriend is a fully- trained volunteer ambulance officer, so a handy man to have around! Once I move I'd like to keep chickens as a food source, fertiliser for the garden, and also potentially for bartering. I frequent farmer's markets and generally eat as much organic food as I can.
What concerns me most about prepping in Adelaide is the issue of water (it's Australia!) and where do we go if we need to leave the metropolitan area? Out into the bush where there isn't much water? My boy is based in Strathalbyn, but that only seems moderately better than the city. I'd like to talk with some Adelaidians about just how they're thinking of solving these problems practically.
In a way I wish there was already some kind of live- in community or commune I could join- hehe! Prepping for your own family is great, but in the case of a full collapse, I'd really rather be part of a like- minded community who can help and look out for each other, sharing different skills, growing food, and better assuring everyone's survival. Defense worries me a lot, the main reason I don't want to be in the city, I live in a very unprotected house (glass everywhere) in a yuppy area, so looters concern me! My Mum is a very involved conspiracy theorist, yet not an active prepper, but I think starting a larger communal garden with her is very possible. I don't know about other people in my life, Australians are so complacent that it's all well down under, that we're not Americans! How do other people in Adelaide feel about their communities, or can you only rely on organising for yourself? Ideally I'd like to move to a small Hills town (not Strathalbyn, though), grow and store food, get to know my neighbours, and have a PLAN.
Yes, as you can see, I am BUGGING OUT!

Welcome!

FEMA was criticized for the inefficiency in feeding and watering the people and housing them. I laugh cause when FEMA ordered millions in MREs and put into play, the regulation to house people in camps, the conspiracy theorists condemned them AGAIN. I mean really, FEMA is damned if they do damned if they don't.

Anyway...lot of Australians joining recently. Y'all know something the rest of us don't? Lol

Hey Eisaro

Yes Australia doesnt have alot of water compared to other countries, you are by no means screwed in a disaster. Theres dozens of dams around/small lakes.

I think if you live in the CBD (or any dense suburb) theres many scenarios where you MUST bug out. Theres a bunch of diasters you could stay at home for, but for all the serious ones you are going to have to get out for awhile, maybe only a few weeks.

Firstly Adelaide is well situated to handle a bunch of disasters, we have next to no earthquakes, the huge peninsulas that jut out of our state shelter much of the population from huge waves from deep ocean, we also have good warning systes for this. Bushfires are not really a problem in SA as they are in NSW/Victoria as we have alot of flat scrub around our population centers. Theres no volcanoes and compared to most cities around the world have a low population.

For a bug out scenario you just need to know your options, where is the high ground? Most of the Adelaide area is incredibly flat. I live in the northern suburbs, which sits basially flat, but ten minutes by car from my house is a 400m high hill, ten minutes past that a 600m hill.

Above the northern suburbs if you look roughly north east, you are going to see a big ### huge system of resourvairs for water and large parks. The problem is they are well, well known and are within walking distance of a few hundred thousand people, if there was a disaster where you had to leave home I would not advise going there.

Look at the roads! for example if you head north west, out past gawler you will see on the map there are half a dozen major highways that criss cross each other constantly, and the whole area is very unpopulated, in a disaster (if you lived in the north) you could navigate these easily, but if you went by the popular huge highway that runs north along the ocean, you would be screwed. Its a huge road, but its the ONLY one there, also the most popular and well travelled road. People will go with what they know.

So depending on where you live, know your routes and your destination. Me and my dad looked at all the parks around us and asked ourselves, how much fuel to get there and back? how easily availiable is fresh water there? How is the terrain for living for a few weeks? and a big one, how many other people will try to get here? You will want to avoid the desperate masses, if shit did ever hit the fan there would be countless thousands with no prepardness at all.

We picked a few parks that are isolated, have a lot of hills and valleys (to avoid detection) and reasonably green. Then we started planning trips, to spent 2 days and 1 night going on a hike/camp to really suss the places out. This is a good chance to test your bug out bag or survival jacket as well. (if you have one).

We are planning our next trip with just our bug out bag and jacket, to really see if it can go the mile and test out some products.

So I live in the northern suburbs and cant afford to really move for another year or so, I mean I try to prepare but you do need to live life like it will just keep going fine.
So for my preparedness, I have a jacket with all the bits to help me survive for a week or so and bag ready to go in the garage with all the stuff ill need for months (as long as I can find water/food). I also have crates of long life foodstuffs, my Dad has a trailer fully packed with camping supplies/gear ready to go. We keep a respectable ammount of water stored and have a supply of about 40L of petrol which we recycle into the cars every few months, I also keep my car above 75% petrol if possible. also a very good bike i check the tyres on regularily, just in case the roads are impossible.

We are working out a list of places to go for what disaster with our family so that if we are seperated when shit goes down, we can meet up.

Something else to consider is where nearby can you get underground? As for some situations this is required, for example the sun going bat shit crazy and irradiating everything. Which i think is probably pretty low on the radar of disasters (personally) but not something to be ignored

Something i heard alot when preparing was that its not all about food and water. that shits heavy and you should be able to locate it, take a bit but not alot. Statistically most people out in the wilderness/bush who die, die from exposure. Too much sun, too much wind, too much cold and so on. Think about your clothing and shelter. First aid was the hardest part of our bug out bag, we bought 3 survival medical kits online and combined their best parts, then wrote a list of things to get from the stores as well.

Im real new to this as well, we just started 6 months ago, but if i can help at all pm me. For now living in town, think where you would go, how to get there, another way to get there. What you will need to have ready NOW. You wont have time to pack later, be ready NOW.

howdy .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replys you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed....

I'm new to the forum and new to prepping. I've been thinking about doing something for a few years, but have not been in a position to do anything until recently. As I'll be moving back to the southern Adelaide hills from Qld in the new few months I thought I'd drop in, say hi and see if I can make a few like minded friends.

Latest posts

Back