Accidental Prep

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
So, I was browsing high wattage inverters on Amazon, and a 6000 watt inverter (12000 peak) caught my eye so I saved it in my cart. Later I bought something on Amazon and forgot about the inverter in my cart and ended up ordering it.

I thought about calling Amazon and cancelling, but then I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet. Here is the item:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-PW6000-12-Inverter-6000/dp/B002EA22YQ

Some things I didn't realize about 6000 watt inverters...

One set of battery cables will not handle the amperage necessary, so it has two sets of terminals. I didn't know if this meant I had to use two sets of cables with one battery, or if I needed two batteries.

These things have 220 volt hookups for a whole house transfer switch!

You accidentally bought something for $500? Yikes. I'd be divorced, LOL....

Next part of the leaning curve was batteries...

When I first started looking for an inverter, I was thinking I would get a large deep cycle marine battery to power it. A little figuring told me pretty quickly that a single deep cycle marine battery wasn't going to cut it. Then I ran across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vmaxslr125-rechargeable-Solar-Inverters/dp/B00ACNO2AO

125 Ah...the typical deep cycle marine battery is around 35 - 45 Ah. Of course, when I got the inverter, I realized I would need TWO. Fortunately they went on sale at a deep discount and I was able to order another one without breaking the bank.

These suckers weight 75 pounds apiece!

Then I needed cables. That's when I realized why I had to have two sets of cables. I could not find a set of cable rated high enough to handle the amperage. I got the heaviest cables I could find, which together are rated high enough.

Next was how to charge the batteries. I ordered a smart charger that you can leave hooked up all the time that will monitor the voltage, and charge it with a maintenance charge when the voltage drops:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQSIWK

Now the problem is how to get electricity in an extended power outage. I have a 8000 watt propane generator that I can use to charge the batteries...until the propane runs out. Why not just use the generator? Well, I don't think it's efficient to run a generator for low power situations, like burning a few lights and cycling the freezer and refrigerator. I know some people plan to just crank up the generator periodically to run the freezer.

I am looking at several alternatives. Solar, Wind, Hydro, and Pedal. My BOL has a flowing artesian well, so I can theoretically produce constant electricity with a hydro turbine. Those things are EXPENSIVE!!! So are solar panels. I like to bike, and we've been wanting to get a stationary trainer that you can put your bike on and ride indoors. They make a system for generating electricity with a stationary trainer, where you take off the tire and run a pulley to a generator. Exercise and generate power at the same time...the idea is intriguing...

They make a system for generating electricity with a stationary trainer, where you take off the tire and run a pulley to a generator. Exercise and generate power at the same time...the idea is intriguing...

Yep, and if multiple people, can really keep it going.

Accidental preps is why my wife has control of the credit card instead of me,lol.However,nice inverter!I wish solar power was an option for us,I starting dabbling into it only to find it's just not in our budget to do so,but I do have a bunch of solar battery and usb device chargers to at least keep the flashlights and some gizmo's working after.Best of luck with the setup.

So, I was browsing high wattage inverters on Amazon, and a 6000 watt inverter (12000 peak) caught my eye so I saved it in my cart. Later I bought something on Amazon and forgot about the inverter in my cart and ended up ordering it.

I thought about calling Amazon and cancelling, but then I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet. Here is the item:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-PW6000-12-Inverter-6000/dp/B002EA22YQ

Some things I didn't realize about 6000 watt inverters...

One set of battery cables will not handle the amperage necessary, so it has two sets of terminals. I didn't know if this meant I had to use two sets of cables with one battery, or if I needed two batteries.

These things have 220 volt hookups for a whole house transfer switch!
Nice looking inverter!

Latest posts

Back