Access & Distance to Bug Out Location?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saalian

Reaction score
Only starting on the whole prepping and was thinking about a bug out location (as I currently live in suburbia).

What I need at the location I think there is enough information around to work it out, but I was wondering what people's thoughts are on getting to the location after the SHTF? Major roads most likely will be blocked or for use of essential vehicles only (or conquered).

So how far away from home is too far for a bug out location? (If driving)

Does the longer you are on the road decrease your chances of survival? (assuming bugging out to a location not on the road)

Should there be multiple ways to reach your bug out location without using main roads?

How do you plan your route for when the SHTF? Do you automatically assume major roads are out, and plan to take the back roads? Or do you take your chances along major roads with alternative routes if needed?

Well some thoughts that have been "bugging" me (excuse the pun).

That is going to be my main problem. My BOL is a 7 hour drive in normal traffic conditions. I'm just planning on bugging out early. There are multiple possible routes, and there are routes that take what used to be major highways before the Interstates were built, as well as back roads that are so little used, you can drive for miles upon miles without ever seeing another car.. My biggest problem is getting through Alabama. The highways go right through the middle of every town on the way.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just keep heading West until I reach U.S. Highway 49.

i believe the further you have to drive.the greater the chances are of running into problems/trouble....researching every possible route when it comes to roads,including going cross country should be a major part of a bug out plan.

How much time do you think the people who experienced Hurricane Katrina had to get out?
How far were they able to travel before they ran into traffic jams, others - also trying to get out.
How many motel rooms were available for rent along the way?
How many people made it out unscathed?

Then look at 911, I was on the road to Greensburg PA when the planes started to attack the Pentagon and the World Trade Center.
The Emergency Broadcast Network took over all local communications - radio, and the ones that were not connected to the EBN went off the air.
There was no music or other talk on the FM radio in the truck.
All vehicles were ordered off the highways.
Those that were still found traveling on the highways would be considered TERRORISTS and would be stopped and arrested.

All aircraft was ordered out of the skies.
Those that did not comply - were shot down, considered terrorists!
Humm - Shanksville PA was only a couple of air miles away..
Why do you think the plane flew that far before it decided to crash?
That was due to the fact that it was a unpopulated area - no one to see or tell what had happened and no collateral damage.
Had they shot that plane down over Greensburg PA, thousands of people would have died.

6 or 7 hours to get to your bug out spot isn't a bug out location at all.
It's either a ancestral home or a summer home or a family hunting camp or some other situation that you feel is safe, but you won't ever get there.

People like that would be better off to dig a hole in their backyard and build a fall out shelter and just hunker down and surrender when they run out of food and water.

one thing potter didn't mention about Hurricane Katrina..folks got stranded on the highway due to traffic jams and running out of gas.ended up (walking) to where ever..

So how far away from home is too far for a bug out location? (If driving)

If it's more than a 3 day walk on foot, to me it would be too far. That's about what I'm at, assuming something happens while I am at work, and need to get home.

Does the longer you are on the road decrease your chances of survival? (assuming bugging out to a location not on the road)

Absolutely. Chance to encounter more people, dwindling supplies, more chance of injury, etc.

Should there be multiple ways to reach your bug out location without using main roads?

I have multiple routes, and most of them assume I will be on foot. Thing is, I have to cross a bridge almost any way I slice it, and normal rush hour it backs up enough, let alone some crisis. Bypassing the bridges adds about 2 days or more on to my journey, so just not an option really. I'd rather swim the distance (going under the bridge, support to support), vs. add on more days.

How do you plan your route for when the SHTF? Do you automatically assume major roads are out, and plan to take the back roads? Or do you take your chances along major roads with alternative routes if needed?

Listen to the radio. They'll definitely be reporting on it. I think it depends on the situation and traffic factors. Personally, I'm forced to take major arteries to get across the bay, but once I do, I'm going backroads all the way and avoiding the highway. It will be a mess, no doubt. I have a few different routes mapped out and printed up. (all ending well before my actual location, as I know my own area well enough).

Word of advice
The longer you are on the road doesn't necessarily decrease your chance of survival. When you hit the road SHTF could be just starting so therefore, most civilians will be doing the same as you (getting the hell out of dodge). It would be smart to have a weapon with you anything from a deer rifle to a CO2 pellet pistol, anything to protect your family. I would not make your bug out destination more than a half a tank of fuel away from your home, so if traffic developed you won't run out in a hostile environment or if you get there and need to eventually resupply you have fuel.

Depending on the event will determine your route. For instance, flooding, hurricanes, anything with high water try to avoid back roads. You will risk getting stuck if it's not paved. If it's government collapsed and the civilization is deemed hostile then yes avoid major roadways.

Last edited by a moderator:
good point..maybe less then half tank away..plus 3-6 five gallon gas cans filled with gas to boot.just to make sure one has plenty of gas for later on needs..

How much time do you think the people who experienced Hurricane Katrina had to get out?
How far were they able to travel before they ran into traffic jams, others - also trying to get out.
How many motel rooms were available for rent along the way?
How many people made it out unscathed?
In Katrina, the Mississippi Gulf Coast evacuated ahead of time, New Orleans didn't. That's why the Mississippi Gulf Coast wasn't in the news and New Orleans was, even though the Mississippi Gulf Coast got hit much harder than New Orleans did. New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ignored pleas from President Bush to evacuate New Orleans.

I was watching the storm track and was telling people that New Orleans was in BIG TROUBLE even before Bush got involved. While Mayor Nagin was sitting around twiddling his thumbs, I was out buying gas cans and filling them up, and I wasn't anywhere near the projected path.

You guys crack me up. Yes, I'd love to have a BOL nearby, but I DON'T. I'd love to have a Sherman tank, but I DON'T. For that matter, a helicopter would be even better. Hell, just take off and go right over the traffic and crowds. So let's just say that EVERYONE NEEDS A HELICOPTER in the SHTF. :rolleyes:

There are a myriad of practical reasons why my BOL is where it is that I can't change. And because my BOL it is a 7 hour drive, I'm going to stay alert, watch the news, and head there long before the masses are awakened from their stupor.

That sounds like a reasonable plan, but what are you going to do IF the government declares martial law. I can almost promise you they won't call the local new stations and say "oh hey, can you tell everyone we are declaring martial law". It just doesn't work like that.

Now a 7 hour drive to a BOL is doable, but IMO I would recommend having a mid way BOL. Just incase you can't get to your main BOL. A place where you can restock ammo, weapons, food, and fuel.

Not going to find anything nearby that has:

• Unlimited year round supply of potable water (drought proof!)
  • Some of the richest soil on earth
  • Ability to grow food year round (we already plant winter wheat and greens for the deer)
  • Abundant game
  • Remote location that is impossible to detect from a public road
and
  • RELATIVES.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what state you are in but I can drive 2.5 hours in any direction from where I am sitting now and find a wooded area. You don't need to be able to survive there for ever, you just need a hidden supply that can last you at most a week. Something that can support you until you can move to your main location.

Oh yeah, there are places I can hole up for the night...along the way...

We can make the trip by bicycle if we have to. My wife and daughter have done BRAG (Bike Ride Across Georgia) which covered 60-70 miles per day for a week, all on back roads. The trip to the BOL will be roughly the same distance over similar roads (but less hilly than BRAG) I'm figuring about a 10 day trip by bike. We can carry supplies for that long on the bikes. Just the BOBs alone have a weeks supply of food, and we have panniers for the bikes that can carry more supplies.

Last edited:
I've been able to get my wife on board with us all getting bikes, coming from a fitness angle vs. prepper angle, hehe.... For the argument of getting ones we can carry stuff....trips to the local store....

i have to go over water to bug out..I'm on a peninsula. The truth is the lower half is actually an island.. there is a canal between myself and the north and a bay to the west and the ocean to the south.... the east is the Atlantic. i have an idea to go northwest by starting west then doing some sort of zigzag towards my ultimate goal of west of Pennsylvania. this,of course, is north of me. a bol would be nice, but i have to get there first..how would i do that? the roads would all be clogged and there is no way of knowing if the bridges would be passable when i get to them.

I have no bug out location, although plenty of places I could go if I can get there and need to leave here. I am half a mile from the entrance to the largest military base on the east coast. This is either going to be extremely good for me or extremely bad. I have come up with a good solution for hiding most of my preps right here on this tiny property and I do have close access to large wooded areas if I do have to hide out. The 2 small lots next to my property are so heavily overgrown I could probably hide right in there if necessary for a short time. My oldest daughter is about a 2 day walk, 1 day bike ride away through forest or by back road. And her place is nearly impossible for the average person to find it's so far off the beaten path.
Bottom line for me is that there are always fall-back plans if plan A doesn't work. And plan A is to just stay right here. Of course, all plans are subject to a change in order depending upon the nature and severity of SHTF.
I mentioned earlier in chat that maybe we should create some plans here on DPF for meeting up after SHTF in case we all need to start over somewhere new.

here's how i see it..there's one thing about living that close to a military base when tshtf happens..everyone within a certain distance of them will be up a creek without a paddle.and will be under martial law big time.which means,you wont be able to take a step without them knowing about it..even at your sisters home..so if your gonna get out of dodge.then you might as well go all the way with that..i dont even want to be within 100 miles of a military base for those reasons alone.your right about DPF meet ups..we do need to have them.this way who ever needs to bug out,can more easily decide which direction to go when they bug out..i just got off of the phone with a guy whos a prepper as well..and i can honestly say him and me both have our foot in the door with each other.and if i understood him right.he'll be moveing to where i grew up at.so if i had to bug out to where he is.then i should find my way eaisly enough..but yet fortworth and dallas is military areas if i remember right.and dallas is some where around 60 miles from where he's moveing to..

but i have to get there first..how would i do that? the roads would all be clogged and there is no way of knowing if the bridges would be passable when i get to them.

Alternate routes by vehicle. Mostly main arteries are the ones that would be jammed. As for bridges, that's one of my challenges too. I have to cross a bridge each day in my 40 mile commute. Simply put, if I get there and it's clogged, I'm going to have to abandon my vehicle...which sucks. However, it may be worth going a MUCH longer route to avoid them and go around the water. I too am on a peninsula, so may have to just suck it up and go the extra miles to have a shot at getting through.

Of course, having an inflatable raft, and a lighter plug pump, can still facilitate that crossing, even if having to ditch the truck. ;)

a big enough pontoon boat for vehicle comes to mind.have it docked where you can leave the road.drive vehicle onto it and you're on your way to the other side.and hopefully all in safety...

That would be nice, but my truck is insanely huge (F350 dual-wheel), so doubt that would be happening, hehe.
If I really got stuck on or before the bridge, there's always the raft option. Could even go covertly under the bridge itself the whole way, and be out of sight, the way it is situated.

It's why I have a large garbage bag in my bag....so I can put the pack in there, and keep it somewhat waterproof for such a crossing.

Latest posts

Back