About NOT getting shot.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Painless

Reaction score
Thanks to Clyde for opening up a new room to discuss options for protecting our homes, families and whatever else we want to protect.
The idea for this topic came to me while thinking about how to protect a water storage tank (that I am installing) from getting holes shot in it from bad guys who may seek to harm my family or take what we have. I thought of several ideas, some of which I intend to discuss and do tests on. I am going to build and shoot such things as 4 inch and 6 inch walls filled with different materials and built with varying types of materials, tires which have been stacked and are filled with dirt, etc.., and tires which have nothing in them. The idea is to find out how to stop bullets with easily available materials and to do it in such a way that it doesn't empty out our wallets or look absolutely hideous when finished, although we might do well to remember that 'form follows function' and that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.
I am sure there are a thousand other ideas as well as many things which have already been tried & tested. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else can share on this. I'll be adding some things I have experimented on and whatever results I've had.

Why not just build a safe room? or build a safe room and build the house around it.

A safe room is nice to have, but difficult to defend your house/property from. You could easily become a prisoner in your own house, or get it burned down around you. A great thing to be able to fall back to a safe room as a redoubt, but better make sure to have an avenue of escape to the outside...and then hope the bad guys don't catch you leaving. If you had a few 'safe walls' & fighting positions on the exterior walls of your house (say, next to windows & doors), you could possibly make a better defense. Building a safe room and then building a house around it is a great idea....if you're already planning to build a house. And building a safe room in a house is a wonderful thing to do. But in an existing structure (home), is fairly difficult to do. Depending on how you do it, of course. But having a safe room is a great thing to think about!

In another thread, I actually talked about my plan of action.

Going to use standard concrete blocks, rebar, and poured concrete, to make little sentry/firing positions around the perimeter of the house, and in other places on the property.

Prior to SHTF, these will be planters, and be filled with dirt, and plants, so totally innocent and beautiful. Post SHTF, we'll clean out all that, and they'll be firing positions.

I've been thinking/wondering about what we would most likely be getting shot at WITH. I suppose it would be the most common calibers sold, such as .223/5.56, 7.62 x 39 an 7.62 x 51 (.308). Not likely to be much in the way of pistol calibers to be worried about. Just rifle caliber rounds. But could be anything. Hunting calibers would probably be in the top 10 as well. Just really not much predicting it. I suppose the smart money would be to build everything to withstand hits from a .338 Lapua magnum and then hope nobody brings a .50 BMG to the party.

I've been thinking/wondering about what we would most likely be getting shot at WITH. I suppose it would be the most common calibers sold, such as .223/5.56, 7.62 x 39 an 7.62 x 51 (.308). Not likely to be much in the way of pistol calibers to be worried about. Just rifle caliber rounds. But could be anything. Hunting calibers would probably be in the top 10 as well. Just really not much predicting it. I suppose the smart money would be to build everything to withstand hits from a .338 Lapua magnum and then hope nobody brings a .50 BMG to the party.
I saw a show where a guy used 12" block filled with concrete and said it would stop a 50 cal round. I haven't tested it but think it would. Tires filled with dirt would probably stop just about anything as well. My favorite though is the pentagon. They lined all the walls with Kevlar. Must be nice to have an unlimited budget.

In another thread, I actually talked about my plan of action.

Going to use standard concrete blocks, rebar, and poured concrete, to make little sentry/firing positions around the perimeter of the house, and in other places on the property.

Prior to SHTF, these will be planters, and be filled with dirt, and plants, so totally innocent and beautiful. Post SHTF, we'll clean out all that, and they'll be firing positions.
I like what you said about multiple points around the yard. Since you don't know where a threat would come from, several defensive posistions make sense.

A safe room is nice to have, but difficult to defend your house/property from. You could easily become a prisoner in your own house, or get it burned down around you. A great thing to be able to fall back to a safe room as a redoubt, but better make sure to have an avenue of escape to the outside...and then hope the bad guys don't catch you leaving. If you had a few 'safe walls' & fighting positions on the exterior walls of your house (say, next to windows & doors), you could possibly make a better defense. Building a safe room and then building a house around it is a great idea....if you're already planning to build a house. And building a safe room in a house is a wonderful thing to do. But in an existing structure (home), is fairly difficult to do. Depending on how you do it, of course. But having a safe room is a great thing to think about!
I have a root cellar that's also a storm shelter. I think it's fine to wait out a tornado in it, but wouldn't go near it with people being the threat. The thought of being entombed in it isn't appealing at all. It would be too easy to barricade the door, or just sit with a rifle trained on it.

I'm pretty much going to be looking to talk and deal myself out of any encounter post SHTF. I've always been a pretty solid diplomat, but especially if I can provide something to a potential threat that they can't get by killing us. Of course, arguing from a position of strength is good too. We'll talk, but doesn't mean we won't have guns trained on them while we do so.

In most cases I can envision, I think we'd be a much better ally and waystop to an armed group than a one-time looting opportunity. (and if not, well they can all be poisoned as we run off, and then come back in a week to clean up the bodies...and get back to being us...)

I saw a show where a guy used 12" block filled with concrete and said it would stop a 50 cal round. I haven't tested it but think it would. Tires filled with dirt would probably stop just about anything as well. My favorite though is the pentagon. They lined all the walls with Kevlar. Must be nice to have an unlimited budget.

Well, that settles it. The next test I'm gonna do is with cinder blocks. Empty, filled with concrete, filled with sand or gravel, etc.. I'll shoot a few & see what happens. I wish one of my friends had a .50 cal. I do have a buddy with a .338 Lapua, so that will be the biggest I can use, IF he has the time to make it out. Should be a fun test. However, it will be a couple or three weeks until I can do it, as I am down in Florida with family. In the meantime, I am gonna get the write-up of the test I did with a gravel filled wall....sometime in the next couple of days or so. The results of that test were VERY encouraging. I will put it in a new thread under this topic.

:)
I'm pretty much going to be looking to talk and deal myself out of any encounter post SHTF. I've always been a pretty solid diplomat, but especially if I can provide something to a potential threat that they can't get by killing us. Of course, arguing from a position of strength is good too. We'll talk, but doesn't mean we won't have guns trained on them while we do so.

In most cases I can envision, I think we'd be a much better ally and waystop to an armed group than a one-time looting opportunity. (and if not, well they can all be poisoned as we run off, and then come back in a week to clean up the bodies...and get back to being us...)

Exactly! And....I LOVE that last part! :)

Sorry you are wrong. Will not use the 223 and 308 are not likely disposable grenade. But it sounds amazing disposable rocket launchers become one of the most popular and affordable weapons during of any disaster.

Do not have diplomatic skills will not help in dealing with marginal elements who tend to stray into armed groups. They first take what you offer them voluntarily, then everything else will be taken purely on principle. This is absolutely not the fact that taking all your possessions they do not want you to pick up and in the labor force.
Such situations are very typical of our territories under the control of Russian terrorists.

You have to have protocols (such as only one person entering at a time, and disarmed, etc.). If they don't follow the protocols, then no trade, no deal, and we go the other route. We're still not going to let an armed group in willy nilly.

Well, that settles it. The next test I'm gonna do is with cinder blocks. Empty, filled with concrete, filled with sand or gravel, etc.. I'll shoot a few & see what happens. I wish one of my friends had a .50 cal. I do have a buddy with a .338 Lapua, so that will be the biggest I can use, IF he has the time to make it out. Should be a fun test. However, it will be a couple or three weeks until I can do it, as I am down in Florida with family. In the meantime, I am gonna get the write-up of the test I did with a gravel filled wall....sometime in the next couple of days or so. The results of that test were VERY encouraging. I will put it in a new thread under this topic.
The problem with just gravel or sand filled blocks is when you shoot or hit the block it tends to shatter, letting the filling spill out. Solid filled is stronger, but also more expensive. You got me curious about shooting my black powder rifle. I got a Thompson center fire 50cal a while back, on a whim. I've never even fired it yet. I've heard it will humble even a large man. I may do some tests with it as well. I saw a utube video of it knocking a bull moose over. It didn't crumple or collapse, it was flat out knocked over. It may only be a single shot, but does have a kick!

I miss hunting black powder season. I used to hunt with a .45 or a .54. Both front stuffers, and only with round balls. Always wanted to try out conicals but somehow just never did. Took lots of deer & a couple of elk. Never flat out knocked one over. Always got complete pass-thru shots even if the ball hit a rib. But I can't imagine black powder weapons being a real threat.....at least not right away. Maybe.

I miss hunting black powder season. I used to hunt with a .45 or a .54. Both front stuffers, and only with round balls. Always wanted to try out conicals but somehow just never did. Took lots of deer & a couple of elk. Never flat out knocked one over. Always got complete pass-thru shots even if the ball hit a rib. But I can't imagine black powder weapons being a real threat.....at least not right away. Maybe.
I agree, it's not a good defensive weapon. Just too darn long to reload. I got a lot of supplies for it, and even with the pre made loads, it still takes too long. One plus though, you can certainly shoot thru most cover to stop someone. When I got it I liked the idea of being able to use tire weights to make bullets. Later I thought that is I can't find bullets then I probably can't find powder or pre made loads either. Oh well, nothing's perfect. I do have a good supply of sabots. Some are plastic filled hollow points, and some are just large conical pieces of metal.

Why not Hesco barriers? They aren't too costly and they can be made to look nice.
hesco deco 2.jpg
hesco deco 3.jpg
hesco deco.jpg

http://www.hesco.com/ http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/hesco-barriers-for-sale.html

Latest posts

Back