A suggestion for pure water

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavyRocket

Reaction score
I have personally started distilling water. The great thing about distilling water is you can use water from a lake, river, ocean, or rain water. Does not mater how nasty smelling, or looking it is. The idea is to capture the "steam water" from boiling the water. This is a very slow process, but it is the same as distilling moonshine. I made my distilling setup for about $20.00. I just bought a huge pot, drilled a hole in the lid for the 90 degree fitting for either copper tubing or rubber. I used 3/8" rubber tubing. To capture the steam water I use glass, not plastic, as most plastic these days has a harmful chemical called BPa. You can do this over a stove, or open fire, or a grill. I like to fill the pot half to 3/4 full. It is very easy to do. The hardest part if over a fire is keeping the fire going, and checking the water level in the pot. Also I bought some foam seal, (for windows) and put that around the edge of the lid, and use 4 clamps so I do not lose as much steam this way. Just thought I would share that idea. I Will post links to the items I used shortly.

Davy
Fear not to seek truth, For truth has no fear - Me

If you give up Liberty for a little security, you deserve neither freedom, nor safety - Benjamin Franklin

Distilling water is a good thing to know. We have a spring as well as a well, so I'd probably be using that set up for 'shine for trading. :D

Another thing ive heard a lot about is the Biosand style filters, those look like a pretty good way to filter out water! Ill post a link to a setup later :D

Here are a few pictures of my setup

distill1.jpg

distill2.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality above.

distill3.jpg

If steam comes out around the fitting, try using plumbers tape on the threads, also add some kind of sealant around the inside around the lid/fitting.

Looks impressive, all id suggest is to make a longer tube so you collect more water, but thats about it! Looks good!

Looks impressive, all id suggest is to make a longer tube so you collect more water, but thats about it! Looks good!

Yeah I think I will need to make the tube longer, also wrap it around something round so the water cools.

Have you tried your set up? Any idea how long it takes to get a 8oz cup of high quality H20??

Yes I have distilled some. It took maybe 3 - 4 hours just to make enough for 1 swallow. That is a long time, but as tntboy13 suggested I think its the short tube I am using, but it is still time consuming. My dad told me the Navy use to or might still do that. He said they had pumps that would suck ocean water into huge boilers, and huge pots to collect the steam water.

peat moss /pea gravel and sand are great water purification items. which in combination with each other filter and disinfect your water. peat moss also removes pollutants like oil from water aswell good stuff!

Last edited:
http://shomusbiology.weebly.com/ anyway this guy has diagrams and videos of filter trickling systems on youtube and there is a youtube link on this site to go to vids on all kind of stuff . filter trickling system was created to treat sewage waste water so the nastiest of the nasty!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back