A question for all you knife people out there...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Quinn

Reaction score
what is the best way to keep an Opinel knife sharp I bought one today and would like to look after it properly . you know what they say , A poor workman always blames his tools.

I'm only aware of 2 steels being in use the first is a high carbon found mainly on older models and the new ones use a carbon stainless. both are good

To quote the Wiki Entry:
The traditional Opinel knife has a beechwood handle and a high carbon XC90 steel (acier au carbone) blade. Opinel also offers most of its models with a Sandvik 12C27M stainless steel (acier inox) blade.[9] Custom Opinel models are available using luxurious or exotic handle woods such as oak, walnut, olive, rosewood and stained hornbeam, as well as other materials such as cowhorn.
The Opinel Slim Effile series uses a tapered handle with a slender clip point blade made of Sandvik stainless steel, and the handle may be obtained in a variety of different materials, including bubinga wood, olive wood, and cowhorn.

I use a stone then a few swipes on a ceramic rod. Ronin is right on, carbon tends to rust so make sure you keep it oiled. The plus side of that is it sharpen easy. Great knife, great buy. Way under rated knife for the price. What # did you get ? I have no. 7 & no. 8

Latest posts

Back