A Few Other Reasons Not To "BUG IN"

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have gone back and forth on whether I wanted to Bug In or Out. I live near a fairly large city, but where I live is pretty much as rural as suburban gets, if that makes sense. I have one neighbor nearby but other than that am about 1/8 to a 1/4 mile from others, but it's not a huge number of homes within a mile of my house. I'd prefer to stay where I am because I feel bugging out with a several month food supply and water supply for 6 people would be quite difficult. However, those items are quite valuable and not something I would be happy about leaving behind.

So I thought about a bug out location, where if it was determined staying where I am at is considered too dangerous I could have a back-up place to go. Now I am sure this is all sounding boring and common to you, but how far is too far for a bug out location? I have one in mind but it's about 30 miles and 45 minutes away. and it goes through moderately urban areas but no cities.

The problem with living in an area with cold winters is that living off the land and always being on the move can be dangerous once the temperature begins to drop.

I have gone back and forth on whether I wanted to Bug In or Out. I live near a fairly large city, but where I live is pretty much as rural as suburban gets, if that makes sense. I have one neighbor nearby but other than that am about 1/8 to a 1/4 mile from others, but it's not a huge number of homes within a mile of my house. I'd prefer to stay where I am because I feel bugging out with a several month food supply and water supply for 6 people would be quite difficult. However, those items are quite valuable and not something I would be happy about leaving behind.

So I thought about a bug out location, where if it was determined staying where I am at is considered too dangerous I could have a back-up place to go. Now I am sure this is all sounding boring and common to you, but how far is too far for a bug out location? I have one in mind but it's about 30 miles and 45 minutes away. and it goes through moderately urban areas but no cities.

The problem with living in an area with cold winters is that living off the land and always being on the move can be dangerous once the temperature begins to drop.

I guess it all depends on what happens, my bug out is about the same but last resort for me.

Why can't the end of the world be more specific! Sure would make prepping easier lol

Me personally, I am doing a 30 day kit and that's about it. Cover all the bases for thirty days. That's just me, a lot of people are prepping differently, Which is totally cool.......... ! Thats what i like about DDP, tons of ideas that can be used.

Why can't the end of the world be more specific! Sure would make prepping easier lol
Can't agree more with this statement...

But getting back to the subject it all depends on how your support system is set up... Bugging in, not for me. So let me throw this out there...

If your neighbors are in your prepping group, well then it might be a option.. Strength in numbers right...

Also I have worked with some that have a 90 day bug in plan to let the storm (whatever it may be) pass and then move to the BOL after that. Understand this involves a bunker of some sort. and some other specialized preps...

So with that said if you are Bugging out just make sure you have your routes planned checked and make sure you have 3 separate or more, also your mode of transportation planned with backups and so forth.

*SIGH*

i know imma catch hell for this but..........

as many know, im not a fan of "bugging in".
ive posted about the dangers of bugging in in many other threads on this site, but ive only covered the gang/small group invation scenarios.

well ive been thinking about it and heres a few more reasons why bugging in may not be the best bet:

during a post-shtf situation, and im talking on a large scale, not like Katrina, but like most if not all North America/the world is affected, there will be mass death.
you will have death by infection, by gangs, looters, starvation, drug overdoses, etc etc. who do you thinks gonna burry those bodys? no one.
but those bodys decomposing will lead to pandemic, disease, etc. and if you're bugging in that can greatly affect/infect you, your water, food, etc.
another is pool water.
whos really going to take care of their pools? that leaves free standing water, which means mosquitos, which means a larger threatof West Nile Virus, as well as other diseases.
also cocaroach infestations, with no pest control available, roaches carry hundreds of diseases.

just some thoughts.

I hear what yer saying but how does bugging out solve any of those issues? If there's dead bodies laying around all over how are you any better bugging out than in? If we're talking mass death then they're everywhere. the pandemic is pandemic, right? Where ya gonna go? Seems like staying in might actually be better in that scenario. Same thing with the standing water...seems like inside is better as far as mosquitos go, than living in yer tent somewhere bugged out. JMO anyway.

ARE YOU STUPID, THATS THE MOST RETARTED THING I HAVE EVER HEARD, NOT BUGGING IN, OH MY GOD.
I, I, I, UH.........
WAIT...........JUST JOKING
actually I totally agree,DAMNIT!!!!! Its suicide for most people in citys to bug in, in a disaster.
I just didnt want you waiting too long for some negative feedback.
Only negative thing I have to say is.....................................
Some people like me live the same place all the time that others want to bug out to LMAO. your buggin out is my buggin in.
Krime...yer funny. I didn't think about the fact that, I too, don't live in the city. We're kinda out in the woods. So bugging in is a more reasonable idea for me.

We are in BFE out in MO, seriously, the little town that we live 9 miles from has a population of 87. The nearest town with a population of over 30,000 is about 35 miles away and across the Missouri River. The nearest major population center is about 2 hours away on a good day.

We don't plan to bug out, but if we must for some reason, we've come up with 2 different plans. They might sound a bit off to some, but please realize that we have a farm and the means to do this.

The first plan would be leaving by vehicle. The two stock trailers would be hitched and loaded (1 stays loaded with some supplies now since we use it for storing some preps in), the suv would have the need right now totes put in it and my oldest daughter's car would be loaded the same. She and her 2 roommates have quite a bit of preps here on our place since this is their bol. We can be loaded completely and gone in 45 minutes. Seems like a lot of time, but we're also loading alternative modes of transportation as well.

The second plan is to leave under animal power. Okay, go on and get the giggles out now.
All of our horses can be ridden, used to pack, or pull the 2 wagons we have. Horses can get places that motorized vehicles can't. Obviously we wouldn't have the dramatic gravel throwing exit that leaving by truck would, but we'll get to where we are going and at a faster pace than if we were to walk. We would have 4 riders with pannier bags, 4 horses carrying packs weighing about 250 each, 2 people driving the wagons, 4 horses hitched and 2 tied behind as spares. We've done extensive primitive camping using the horses to get us in and out with our supplies so everyone knows their jobs. From our place it would be a 65 mile trek to my sister's farm in another BFE part of the state.

Ideally though, we plan to stay put and holding our ground. As to bodies, they'd be hauled up onto our far ridge and left for the coyotes and other animals. For our own dead, they'd be buried out past our barn. For sanitation, we've got an outhouse already in place. For water, we've got a well and a springhouse that flows year round.

Latest posts

Back