7 Important skills we all need to know.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gold and silver (including pre-1965 dimes and half-dollars)

Things would have to be REALLY stable before this became a valuable barter good. Nobody soon after a SHTF event is going to trade food or bullets for soft pretty metal.

I will agree though, that bartering is CERTAINLY a skill. When I lived in the Middle East, it was kind of a big part of the culture there. In fact, to NOT barter (and pay full price, etc.) was considered a grave insult as well as marking one as a complete fool. There is certainly skill involved in the discussion. (and knowledge of how much something is worth).

We barter SO often here in the country.... I'd say I probably barter something at least once or twice a week.

In our little area (mostly seniors) we do things for each other for no charge. Then we end up giving them eggs, veggies, etc. That way we don't feel obligated and also feel good about helping our neighbors.

That's basically what I mean. It's more of an unspoken barter, many times. Though sometimes, it's more direct, like "I've got some unused fence material here, you've got a chainsaw, if you let me borrow it to clear out that fallen tree, the fencing is yours" kind of deal.

if you go to somewhere like London not only will people not "make eye contact" and if you speak to them they will look at you like you come from outer space!
country people generally have more time to stop and chat, city people are far to busy.
Paul, I have been known to flag down a fisherman going to the lake and have them help me losen a bolt. I had it with me at the end of the drive. Have never invited a stranger to the house.

True story, when we moved here, my daughter was 5 and she put a pair of toy metal hand cuffs on and they went too far and would come off. I put the kids in the car and drove , finally stopping at the man's house who had done the bulldozing on my lot.

There was about 5 men there i didnt know and I have never seen them laugh so hard. My daughter was so embarrassed. Years later, I would see them at the country store and they would laugh about my daughter. Most of them have ended up doing some type work for me.

On the handcuff thing, there's a lot of ways to get even the real deal off. One of the simplest, is using some thin, but strong item to wedge in where the teeth go in. Done right, this could then allow you to open the cuffs (as it goes between the teeth and the catching mechanism. Much easier than picking it, which is what most think you'd use a bobby pin for, etc.

On the handcuff thing, there's a lot of ways to get even the real deal off. One of the simplest, is using some thin, but strong item to wedge in where the teeth go in. Done right, this could then allow you to open the cuffs (as it goes between the teeth and the catching mechanism. Much easier than picking it, which is what most think you'd use a bobby pin for, etc.
My daughter was so small, the cuffs went past all the teeth.

Stock up on Benadryl

Probably won't help once you are in anaphylactic shock, but it might keep you from getting there.
What might be a better alternative for an epi pen are vials of 1:1,000 epinephrine and the appropriate hypodermic syringes.

1:1,000 epinephrine (not to be confused with 1:10,000 epinephrine or 1:100,000 epinephrine) can be used to treat anaphylaxis, and it keeps longer than an epi pen. We carried it on the ambulance, and the heat in an ambulance parked in the Florida sun is over 100°F...and this med would still retain it's potency (although I must insist that you don't store it this way).

It's tricky (especially if you're suffering from an anaphylactic event) to draw up a measured quantity into a syringe and inject yourself.

Still, it'll work if you can do it in a timely manner, and it's still better than gulping Benadryl and hoping for the best.

1:1,000 epinephrine can sometimes be obtained from veterinary supply places. Also, it can be ordered from online pharmacies (from other countries) without a prescription for a reasonable price.

Note that it takes time, patience, practice, and professional instruction to learn how to properly inject a medication. Almost anyone knows a nurse, and most will show you how (on the downlow) if you're discrete...as there may be legal consequences toward their licenses.

Hypodermic syringes can be obtained from vet supply places, from pharmacies that have diabetic supplies, and--as a last resort--from places that have needle exchange programs for drug addicts.

If you can buy a raw pig head from an ethnic butcher shop, you can practice on the skin around the neck and face.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Valley Vet has 50ml vials of 1:1,000 epinephrine USP for $24.00+shipping, with no 'script because it's labeled for animals.
P.P.S. The usual human dose is 0.3 to 0.5 ml injected intramuscular. DO NOT INJECT 1:1,000 EPINEPHRINE INTRAVENOUS OR YOU WILL KILL SOMEONE!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back