3d printing

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackwoodzPrppr

Reaction score
hey y'all, i am new here ... besides the intraduction this is my first post!

I herd bout nasa sending a 3d printer to outer space. Anybody use one of these?

They prtey expensive, but thought be good to make yer own supplis ... tools, cutlry ... anything!

I am tryin to make myself self sficient. I herd that most of what at walmart is bought from china ... even more reason to make your own stuff!

I preciate any thoughts!

3D printers are the future! In other words look for them to be in common use in about 10 years. They are ridiculously expensive, rich mans toy really.... It's not just the purchase of the printer (1000+) Its also the materials and programs that'll get you in the end. I have a friend who has one, the entire set up, programs and all cost him around 6000.00. I'd rather get several real rifles for that then print them.... Plus the amount of printer material it takes to print a working lower gets ridiculous as well...

Last edited:
Thnx for the reply ... guess Ill have to wait til they get cheaper! Not sure if you can put a price tag on making yer own goods ... well I guess you can!

Can you make rifles? I herd bout making a hand gun but I didnt know you could make anything larger then that.

I have several friends that are gun smiths and yes they make them from scratch all the time. Rifles and hand guns.

Easier to make a rifle than a handgun, I'd wager.
You'd be much better off making tools the old fashioned way, vs. relying on a computer and printer setup (not to mention materials) for 3D printing.

It's a neat new technology, and likely a good idea for a large, well-funded, and well-supplied group, but for most average preppers, this is really not very attainable.

hey y'all, i am new here ... besides the intraduction this is my first post!

I herd bout nasa sending a 3d printer to outer space. Anybody use one of these?

They prtey expensive, but thought be good to make yer own supplis ... tools, cutlry ... anything!

I am tryin to make myself self sficient. I herd that most of what at walmart is bought from china ... even more reason to make your own stuff!

I preciate any thoughts!

While a nice piece of hardware and I've seen hard the theory into practice...unless your trying to make a living from duplicating hard to make or parts that are no longer on the shelf...the money spent can be used elsewhere. Agree with Roninsensei on this issue.

If a well organized group, and they had the means to secure it, power it, and have materials onhand, it's pretty damn cool, as you could manufacture needed parts (assuming you had the software to do so, etc., or could program it). All pretty big ifs mind you, but still, this tech is bound to take off in the coming decades.

Easier to make a rifle than a handgun, I'd wager.
Legally (at least under Federal Law) you can make a rifle for your own use, pistols are questionable (theoretically legal by law). Printing a pistol is easier technically, but not legally. One major problem for printing pistols is that you would be able to conceal it and carry through a metal detector unless you had some metal parts. Of course you would have to have plastic ammunition too to make it completely undetectable, but the geniuses in Washington never thought about that.

Last edited:
Why print one when you can make one out of hard plastic, or ceramic. If you made it like an old style flint lock, you would not need any metal. Black powder and a common marble for the Minnie ball round. That would not set any thing off. And theoretically, because it is an " antique " weapon, current gun laws do not apply the same way. For example, in Texas you can open carry a pistol if it is a real or reproduction of a pistol that is pre 1899. It is not considered a hand gun in Texas. Guess what I'm saving for?!

Indeed, there are ceramic weapons that would go right through, if they didn't have metal springs, etc.
For every measure, there is always a counter-measure, but I don't think any of us have any real need for such a weapon.

Wow you all gave me alot to think about! Hope y'all enjoyed your weeked!

If you carry an athentic pre-1899 pistol does it need to be nonworking? I dont know all the laws yet for making yor own kit .... I just thinkin that if the astronats could do it in outer space then it mgiht be a good idea here to. If SHTF (jus figured out that one out ;-)) woudl be good idea to hae some other means to make tools ... I dont know how much materlas cost or even how much power it would need but if I had a way to produce a needed part for for my truck or somethin for my daughter or any member of my family then i would do it.

I believe in self-reliance ... im good in making stuff but my hands got limits.

Any groups out ther using 3d printer? If you made a gun d oyou still have to take to teh sheriff or goverment to register?

call me old fashioned,I can just about make this computer do what I wan't, I'd rather save and buy that gun + some extra spareparts, ok my kids propably could and would do anything with computers but not me.

Wow you all gave me alot to think about! Hope y'all enjoyed your weeked!

If you carry an athentic pre-1899 pistol does it need to be nonworking?

Any groups out ther using 3d printer? If you made a gun d oyou still have to take to teh sheriff or goverment to register?
From the ATF's Web Site:

As defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16) the term “antique firearm” means
  1. any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
  2. any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica —
    1. is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
    2. uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or
  3. any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term ‘antique firearm’ shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon, which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/collectors.html

From the ATF's Web Site:

As defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16) the term “antique firearm” means
  1. any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
  2. any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica —
    1. is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
    2. uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or
  3. any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term ‘antique firearm’ shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon, which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/collectors.html

Thx!

that act/legislation seem to be quite similar what we have here aswell,but how they interpret it here varies from police precint to another so you never know

Latest posts

Back