2nd hand shops/Your best finds?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflake

Reaction score
I LOVE 2nd hand shops and have got loads of good prepping stuff from them, Last weeks buys.....
Camo waste pack with 2 water bottles, Still had tags on...£1.
New kids walking trousers with tags on...£1.

And you can always live in the hope that some of the money will find it's way to said charity.

So whats your best 2nd hand buys?

yeah.2nd hand item shops are great..especially when you see something that you havent thought of for who knows how long..

Prep wise, my two metal water bottles both came from Goodwill, at $1 each. Non-prep wise, I've gotten a $150 leather jacket for $8, and a $250 coat for $8. Probably my best two buys there. I always find good deals though. My wife loves consignment shops, and has name brand purses, shoes, and clothes that she paid pennies on the dollar for.

We really strive never to pay full price for ANYTHING, if we can help it. We always try to find some kind of deal, and typically succeed.

Prep wise, my two metal water bottles both came from Goodwill, at $1 each. Non-prep wise, I've gotten a $150 leather jacket for $8, and a $250 coat for $8. Probably my best two buys there. I always find good deals though. My wife loves consignment shops, and has name brand purses, shoes, and clothes that she paid pennies on the dollar for.

We really strive never to pay full price for ANYTHING, if we can help it. We always try to find some kind of deal, and typically succeed.

Moneys always better in your pocket...The best preps are free ones.:)

Some of the best prepper things I find at 2nd hand stores:

Clothes
Military Surplus (specifically in Army/Navy stores, used section)
Tools (including old manual tools such as manual drills, etc.)
Medical Supplies (such as crutches, etc. non-disposable items)
Camping Gear (especially in Army/Navy stores)
Sporting Equipment (no guns, but accessories, bags, etc.)

That's great Gazrok, Some good buys. I go once a week to the 2nd hand stores, Happy hunting to you:)

think that most of my clothes comes from one surplusstore,they have both 2-hand and new stuff,I'm not a suit and tie guy ;)

Wish I was good at posting pics. I was at a charity shop yesterday and got a reversible regatta fleece£1.00, A E.D.C bag for my kid with compass, whistle and small survival info cards £1.00, A small case to clip onto B.O.B 40p and I also found Chris Ryans book from the hunting Chris Ryan T.V show....That man knows his stuff:)

that's a bargain :D
don't worry Snowflake about those pics,when it comes to things with the computer I suck, have to ask my oldest son for help,soon the middle will pass me and leave me cursing;hate computers

that's a bargain :D
don't worry Snowflake about those pics,when it comes to things with the computer I suck, have to ask my oldest son for help,soon the middle will pass me and leave me cursing;hate computers

I'm doing a computer course this month so I hope to get a bit better.

Photobucket and flikr are places you could post photos for free, then, just use the picture icon on the posting menu here, and put in the URL (web address) for the pic.

2nd hand stores are one of my stops when out shopping . I look for surplus and outdoor gear . Chris Ryan was the only member of a British SAS team to escape being captured or killed by Iraq's during a observation mission during Desert Storm . He walked all the way to syria . My last find at a 2nd store was a French F1 canteen it is aluminium 1 liter with a canvas pouch and a cup for boiling water/making coffee .

Snowflake and Jonette im a computer geek (as everyone calls Computer Science Technitians) if you every need help feel free to pm me

On another note, Antique shops are great for finding tools, gadgets used prior to us having electricity. Hand mixers, crank drills, washboards, lamps, candle holders (ones made more to actually function in reflecting light, vs. deco), etc.

I stop by the antique shops / junk stores around here from time to time . There is several in every small town within driving distance , usualy on or around the square . Growing up the square was the center of everything you needed to do now they are the empty buildings and cheap apartments . Our county just spent millions remodeling the town square its pretty but they cant bring the money back to that part of town .

I stop by the antique shops / junk stores around here from time to time . There is several in every small town within driving distance , usualy on or around the square . Growing up the square was the center of everything you needed to do now they are the empty buildings and cheap apartments . Our county just spent millions remodeling the town square its pretty but they cant bring the money back to that part of town .
Thats been happening across the country ever since walmart started building large retail stores with tons of parking. I still remember driving around for five minutes trying to park somewhere close to what I wanted. Its a shame for the mom and pops, and those beautiful old buildings.

I also remember the mom and pop stores with thier 100 plus mark up % on merchandise . There wasnt much choice .

I also remember the mom and pop stores with thier 100 plus mark up % on merchandise . There wasnt much choice .
Even though I hate places like Walmart, they do add to the quality of our life. It's also right next to where I work, so it's convient and I don't have to waste gas. Just another reason they get most of my money!

Its not that building stores away from the square that drew the business away from that part of town its the population outgrew doing all thier business and shopping on the square . No place to park , buildings were not big enough for the crowds . I still like going to the square if Im off work and want to look in the 2nd hand / junk shops also to get car tags renewed . Like I said the County remodeled ours its all bright colors and new concrete made to look nostalgic . There is a few new places like a coffee shop , couple resturants . and we still have a movie thearter there thats been there since the 40's . Few years ago the Theater was featured in some Country Music video . I remember goint there as a kid to see Jaws .

Latest posts

Back