23 year old prepper looking for guidance

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason rea

Reaction score
Hello to anyone out there, I am a 23 year old from Wisconsin. I have been feeling the impending doom for a long time now since highschool really. It isn't one thing in paticular that i'm afraid of, fear really isn't even in the equation. I just know that be it economical, nuclear, foreign invasion or even martial law. So many threats are looming on the horizon for everyday americans and it saddens me to see the blindness around me. I tried just ignoring it to save my sanity but it is not working any longer. Have to start prepping. I have very little money but I am an accomplished eagle scout with 100's of nights spent out just sleeping under the stars. I know how to build fires, shelter, orienteer, winter survival. I have zero experience in hunting or farming in any way. I don't fish either. I know I need to learn more and find others. So if you are out there with knowledge and would like a very hardworking helper I'm ready and willing to learn all I can.

Welcome to the forum Jason. Read through the threads and feel free to ask any questions you have, someone will either know the answer, or we'll find it out for you.

Hello to anyone out there, I am a 23 year old from Wisconsin. I have been feeling the impending doom for a long time now since highschool really. It isn't one thing in paticular that i'm afraid of, fear really isn't even in the equation. I just know that be it economical, nuclear, foreign invasion or even martial law. So many threats are looming on the horizon for everyday americans and it saddens me to see the blindness around me. I tried just ignoring it to save my sanity but it is not working any longer. Have to start prepping. I have very little money but I am an accomplished eagle scout with 100's of nights spent out just sleeping under the stars. I know how to build fires, shelter, orienteer, winter survival. I have zero experience in hunting or farming in any way. I don't fish either. I know I need to learn more and find others. So if you are out there with knowledge and would like a very hardworking helper I'm ready and willing to learn all I can.

Find an older grandfather type that would appreciate the company and let him mentor you. Perhaps he is a great fisherman and would love to teach you all he knows. Ask around and see if one of your friends knows how to hunt and ask if you can go along and learn on a hunting trip. Ask to borrow a shotgun or rifle if you don't have one. So many people are eager to teach what they know. You do not have to tell them that you want to be a prepper.

Ask some of the older women in your family if they know how to can or garden and let them teach you. I bet they would be excited to teach you. If you can't have your own garden, look online and see if there is a community garden co-op that you could get a small space in. People will teach you a lot and you can practice canning what you grow. Canning and gardening isn't just for girls.

Go to the library and checkout books on prepping and homesteading. They are full of ideas. Search online for tutorials and forums like this one. Take a first aide class through the red cross. Shop for supplies at Goodwills, garage sales and on craigslist. Ask around and see if people have camping equipment that they don't want. Offer to do yard work or whatever you can to barter for things that you need.

I think $25 a week is a good budget to start prepping. Start with a bug out bag. Then move on to water. Get a case of water and stick it in your car. Get a couple of more cases and put them in your closet. Make one or more of these rain barrels.

Then make a water filtration system using two five gallon buckets and a ceramic candle filter. Super cheap and there are how to videos on line. Be sure to get a bottle of plain Clorox bleach to treat water too.

Then add to your first aide supplies and stock food as you can on a weekly basis. Buy things that you love to eat.
Add toiletries, vitamins and cleaning supplies as you can. Buy clothes with prepping in mind.

I would suggest that you get a good pocket knife, multi-tool and fixed blade knife. I would also suggest getting a handgun, a shotgun and a Ruger 22 takedown rifle. You can use all these for defense and hunting. If you can afford an AR15 or something else later, great but they are expensive. A 12 gauge shotgun and a 22 rifle are pretty inexpensive. Don't let someone talk you into getting a handgun that you are not comfortable with. It doesn't matter what caliber it is or how sweet it looks if you aren't comfortable with it. Then go train, train, train with your weapons and start stocking ammo.

As a scout, it is a good idea to just look at it as a big camping trip and plan accordingly. The only difference is that you are going to have to get used to the idea that you will need to be armed and trained to use whatever firearms you own. It is just reality.
Be careful who you talk to about prepping. As far as they are concerned, you are just wanting to gain some experience in certain areas. Stay in the best physical shape that you can. Work out, eat right, take your vitamins, get your dental checkups. Stay calm.

Take baby steps. And have fun doing it.

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome Jason! Alley has nailed it so all I can suggest are the prepper podcasts on iTunes, I learned more from them than anything else (other than experience) as I dont have anyone around to teach me a whole lot.

Welcome Jason, most have covered the essentials in the above posts so i will just offer a warm welcome to DP Forum, all the way from sunny Australia :)

Welcome and enjoy.

WElcome and thanks for joining DPF. I hope you find what you're looking for and I hope you share what knowledge you already have. Being an Eagle scout, I would imagine that you have a pretty good set of skills... I guess you mentioned a few of them, those will surely help out when you hit the sticks. I wish I could point you to a certain place or person to answer what you're asking, but you'll find it. many of us hunt, fish, trap, and have gardens... Some of us can foods, some dehydrate and make jerky... There's no shortage of good stuff here. See you around!

Hello everyone,

I am new to DPF! I am also in my early 20s on a budget, so I thought I would introduce myself here. There's not one thing in particular that made me start prepping, but I feel like if disaster strikes then I don't want to be one of the millions who find themselves without supplies. Part of being responsible is being prepare. I have to take baby steps also, but might as well start somewhere! Good luck!

Welcome :D I'd sugest doing what I did: soak up as much infromation from anyone or anything that you can learn from. Then go and practice it. Find a group of friends who like to go camping and hunting. Maybe (really low chance)'you could find someone who is self sufficient and learn from them. Again: practice. Doesn't mean much that I'm a certain rank in martial arts if I can't do anything on the lower rank

Find an older grandfather type that would appreciate the company and let him mentor you. Perhaps he is a great fisherman and would love to teach you all he knows. Ask around and see if one of your friends knows how to hunt and ask if you can go along and learn on a hunting trip. Ask to borrow a shotgun or rifle if you don't have one. So many people are eager to teach what they know. You do not have to tell them that you want to be a prepper.

Ask some of the older women in your family if they know how to can or garden and let them teach you. I bet they would be excited to teach you. If you can't have your own garden, look online and see if there is a community garden co-op that you could get a small space in. People will teach you a lot and you can practice canning what you grow. Canning and gardening isn't just for girls.

Go to the library and checkout books on prepping and homesteading. They are full of ideas. Search online for tutorials and forums like this one. Take a first aide class through the red cross. Shop for supplies at Goodwills, garage sales and on craigslist. Ask around and see if people have camping equipment that they don't want. Offer to do yard work or whatever you can to barter for things that you need.

I think $25 a week is a good budget to start prepping. Start with a bug out bag. Then move on to water. Get a case of water and stick it in your car. Get a couple of more cases and put them in your closet. Make one or more of these rain barrels.

Then make a water filtration system using two five gallon buckets and a ceramic candle filter. Super cheap and there are how to videos on line. Be sure to get a bottle of plain Clorox bleach to treat water too.

Then add to your first aide supplies and stock food as you can on a weekly basis. Buy things that you love to eat.
Add toiletries, vitamins and cleaning supplies as you can. Buy clothes with prepping in mind.

I would suggest that you get a good pocket knife, multi-tool and fixed blade knife. I would also suggest getting a handgun, a shotgun and a Ruger 22 takedown rifle. You can use all these for defense and hunting. If you can afford an AR15 or something else later, great but they are expensive. A 12 gauge shotgun and a 22 rifle are pretty inexpensive. Don't let someone talk you into getting a handgun that you are not comfortable with. It doesn't matter what caliber it is or how sweet it looks if you aren't comfortable with it. Then go train, train, train with your weapons and start stocking ammo.

As a scout, it is a good idea to just look at it as a big camping trip and plan accordingly. The only difference is that you are going to have to get used to the idea that you will need to be armed and trained to use whatever firearms you own. It is just reality.
Be careful who you talk to about prepping. As far as they are concerned, you are just wanting to gain some experience in certain areas. Stay in the best physical shape that you can. Work out, eat right, take your vitamins, get your dental checkups. Stay calm.

Take baby steps. And have fun doing it.

I can't think of anything you didn't cover, are you married! Lol

Welcome to the both of you.

My advice is to get some good boots of Category B or C.
A good pair of boots lasts years and keep you going just a bit longer when you're already exhausted.

Yes, I'm married. But if I wasn't, I'd so go on a blind date with you. : )
Yeah, me too, and very happily, but if I wasn't I'd be hounding you like a love struck teenager! Seriously, you seem to have a really good head on your shoulders and embody the qualities and values of what prepping is all about. I wish you and yours a very merry Christmas!

Yeah, me too, and very happily, but if I wasn't I'd be hounding you like a love struck teenager! Seriously, you seem to have a really good head on your shoulders and embody the qualities and values of what prepping is all about. I wish you and yours a very merry Christmas!
I think some people see it is as a race or a competition. You know, who can do it bigger or faster or better. That just stresses people out. They are afraid of doing it wrong or not doing as much as someone else so they don't even start. A step at a time gets the job done. You can become more prepared one skill, one can of beans, one bottle of water at a time.

Latest posts

Back