2 ways

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabaster

1st Member Of DPF
Reaction score
I have recently added a new set of 2 ways to our kit(s). They have a 20 some odd mile range!!! My cousin is a Prepper also. He's gotten a set, too. I think comms are gonna be a much bigger problem than most of us(Even Preppers) are thinking. It's frightening to think one might not be able to contact their loved ones in a moment of crisis. Could you imagine having to bug out and not being able to get a hold of your family? That would flat out suck.

I have recently added a new set of 2 ways to our kit(s). They have a 20 some odd mile range!!! My cousin is a Prepper also. He's gotten a set, too. I think comms are gonna be a much bigger problem than most of us(Even Preppers) are thinking. It's frightening to think one might not be able to contact their loved ones in a moment of crisis. Could you imagine having to bug out and not being able to get a hold of your family? That would flat out suck.
I have a set too. I have seen some of those frs radios that go to 30 plus miles. I think they are an absolute necessity.

I have those too. Just low range ones. When they say 30 miles, that's with no obstructions like buildings. I tried the low range ones and with buildings in the way I got about 1/4 mile if that. That's good for flat land. Urban is another story.

I like two ways but you never get the distance they say I have 30s 25s and 10s and in the city I get like 3 mi for the 30s and even when if we are out dirt bike riding in the desert I still only get like ten mi there good for close range and that's about it.

ill tell ya what, ya they maybe good, possably great, but those that use them should come up with codes for their family use only. if you were to say, "Meet me on 10th street in about an hour." and someone had one to, or another device like a scanner, your family member might not be the only one meeting you there.

ill tell ya what, ya they maybe good, possably great, but those that use them should come up with codes for their family use only. if you were to say, "Meet me on 10th street in about an hour." and someone had one to, or another device like a scanner, your family member might not be the only one meeting you there.

That is very true. Good thought. Any type of communication is open to anyone.

I do like the code idea, as well as developing challenge and pass word system like we used in the military.

A general rule for any radio NOT in HF frequencies is none of them are reliable, advertising aside. The 10-20-30 mile labels on the advertising are exactly that. Educating yourselves on the frequencies they work on and knowing how the environment effects them and how they fit into a communications plan is more important.

FRS/GMRS/CB( almost HF)/2M(vhf)/440(UHF)/ are layers in a comms plan not a one size fits all. The more you learn about the limitations of each type the fewer options you really have. There is no such animal as a secure radio, at least in the US. No such thing as a 50 mile hand held, and definitely no such thing as one size fits everything radio.

Latest posts

Back