2 liter bottles

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenLittle

Reaction score
Is this a safe storage method for rice and dryed beans? I read a storage site that suggested doing this and tossing a couple bay leaves in there for bug deterrent. I would also us an oxy absorber.

Does this plastic breath at all?

Does it even matter with rice/beans? These items will last years without proper packaging anyway right, as long as they are kept dry?

I use clean 2 liter bottles all the time. They're sized better to fit in the cupboard and I don't have to drag the buckets out of the pantry when I need something. I just refill them from the buckets as they empty. I've never had a problem with anything so far and I've been using them for the past 10 years. I don't use the O2 absorbers either, but that's just me. As for bay leaves, I only put those in flour, cornmeal, oats, and pastas. If you use them, just make sure you fish them out of your food if they get cooked accidently.

Definitely agree! They work really well. Get your cola and juice addicted friends to save their bottles for you, just wash, rinse and dry for a while. It's humid here so can be 1-2 weeks for me. Then fill with your dry goods. If you are worried about weevils in a bag, you can freeze a few days then bring to room temp, then put in a bottle. It's great to be able to see what's stored and just keep them out of the sun as with all food storage. Be sure to label the bottles with the date filled so you can do the rotation thing. Also the bottles when emptied, can be reused and refilled.

Do you use Mylar bags for storing your Rice ,sugar etc is there an alternative to mylar
Mike, I use 5 gallon food storage buckets. You can get these at restraunts or grocery deli's, just ask and see if they are willing to save. I use them for my flour, sugar, and rice. I usually go through these items on a regular basis.

Sugar is particularly sensitive to moisture so it is critical to keep it dry. Aside from that it’s important to store it with the usual guidelines: Cool, Dark, and Dry. Sugar has an indefinite shelf life, though some folks say to use it within two years. If you happen to get it wet it will cake up and get all hard and crusty, just smash it up again and voila, you’re in good shape! Brown sugar is basically granulated sugar with molasses and a bit of caramel coloring. It comes in Dark and Light variants. Dark has more molasses and thus a darker color and a stronger flavor. Brown sugar is different from other sugars in that it is supposed to be moist. That means you can’t dry it out. ( Just store dark brown sugar. If you need light brown, mix one part granulated sugar to three parts dark brown sugar, mix well, and enjoy!)

Honey stores forever, just keep it dry and away from air. Over time honey can darken which can intensify the flavor but is otherwise nothing to be concerned about. Store it with your other food and you should be fine. Honey can crystallize relatively easily. If it happens, drop the container into hot water for a while and it will liquefy.

Molasses is a byproduct of the sugar refining process. It will store for about two years on the shelf. Make sure it doesn’t have any corn syrup in it as corn syrup has a far shorter shelf life. In a pinch, add a tablespoon or so of molasses to a cup of sugar and make your own brown sugar!

Maple Syrup Preferably glass bottles for maximum storage life. Similar to molasses, it will store for two years or so when stored on a cool dark shelf. Again, make sure that there is no corn syrup on the ingredient list if you’re buying pancake syrup vs pure maple syrup (which is ridiculously expensive).

I think treacle would be easier to find than molasses for Mike. I need to order some more of it myself, it keeps forever and a day.

Maple syrup will last for years sealed in mason jars. I know an old farmer friend that keeps jars in the cellar. They are about 10 years old and he still uses it. I have tasted it and cant tell its not fresh.

I think treacle would be easier to find than molasses for Mike. I need to order some more of it myself, it keeps forever and a day.
I have never heard of treacle. I will need to do some research in that one

It's a lot like molasses. Dark treacle is stronger tasting like blackstrap molasses. Little goes a long way.

Latest posts

Back