2.5 ton or higher rear engine

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pengyou

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a 2.5 ton truck (or larger) that has a rear engine and rear wheel drive? I think it would be an ideal bov for me. If I have to bug out, I am going to need to take a lot of stuff with me...a real engine, rear drive vehicle has good traction and torque....I have gone school bus shopping many times over the past decade but always stopped short because of the limitations in place by the body. I guess I could cut the body off and build on the frame.... the rear engine/rear drive eliminates a 20' long or so drive train, cuts the weight and maintenance but also provides that much more storage space under the truck.

Last edited:
Just curious, why a rear engine?
I presume to put weight on the rear to get better traction in 2wd, and also to prevent the front wheels from sinking under the engine's weight. But the problem is that trucks are designed to carry cargo in the rear, and a rear engine would defeat that purpose.

There is the old VW camper of course. And the VW "Thing" and all the VW based dune buggies, all rear engine rear wheel drive that didn't need 4WD.

I think the best you can hope for nowadays is a cab-over like a Unimog that brings the engine farther back.
2004_mercedes-benz_unimog_u500_1560249511495d565ef66eDSC_0603-1280x838-e1560632799585-940x627.jpg

I presume to put weight on the rear to get better traction in 2wd, and also to prevent the front wheels from sinking under the engine's weight. But the problem is that trucks are designed to carry cargo in the rear, and a rear engine would defeat that purpose.

There is the old VW camper of course. And the VW "Thing" and all the VW based dune buggies, all rear engine rear wheel drive that didn't need 4WD.

I think the best you can hope for nowadays is a cab-over like a Unimog that brings the engine farther back.
2004_mercedes-benz_unimog_u500_1560249511495d565ef66eDSC_0603-1280x838-e1560632799585-940x627.jpg
I guess I never considered a 2 wheel drive truck to have any value as a bov. For a 4 wheel drive you'd want the weight of the engine over the front axle for added traction.
I do like the Unimog.

Of course we all make bad decisions throughout our lives. My first bad decision concerning trucks was my first one. It was my 16th birthday when I bought my first truck, a 1964 Chevy 1/2 ton for $650. It was just a 2 wheel drive and all I could afford at the time. I was always getting stuck in the mud or snow, even with tire chains. It wasn't long before I saved up enough for a 4 wheel drive. I still get stuck several times a year, but usually not as bad or as often.

I have not been stuck in a very long time,all I have is 2wd,,,I want a 4wd but have to watch my money,,,,I am always on the look out for the right fixer upper something with a stick and a bad engine,,,,in time I will find one,,,,my last 2 trucks although 2wd were fixer uppers I just sold my old Dodge and moved on to a ford ranger,,,,5 years with the dodge and my only gripe was the crappy dashboard they put in them

I hope the ranger is half as good as that old ugly dodge

I have not been stuck in a very long time,all I have is 2wd,,,I want a 4wd but have to watch my money,,,,I am always on the look out for the right fixer upper something with a stick and a bad engine,,,,in time I will find one,,,,my last 2 trucks although 2wd were fixer uppers I just sold my old Dodge and moved on to a ford ranger,,,,5 years with the dodge and my only gripe was the crappy dashboard they put in them

I hope the ranger is half as good as that old ugly dodge
My wife had a Ford Ranger before we got married. It was 4 wheel drive, 5 speed transmission and 4 cylinder engine, 1984 model I think. We had it for about 10 years and put well over 200,000 miles on it before I had to install a new engine. That was a great little truck. I guess Ford has started making the Ranger again but don't know anything about it yet.
There's no way that I'd be able to live where I do without 4 wheel drive. I use 4 wheel drive every day in winter and spring just getting to my place, and quite often during summer to get around the area.

I am going for MPG on the 4x4,,,,so a 4 banger and stick are on my radar,,from what I have read the year model will not matter much at least not on the ranger,the engines vary a little but all the ford 4 bangers are pretty good long lasting engines,,I won't waste my time looking at any under 10 years old the price is to high for what you get,,,

,as for the new rangers I know they are out there but I have not seen one yet and they are quite pricey from what I have heard,,,,

getting set to leave this morning,,,,,funny how we look at things change,when I was a teen and in my 20's 100 k on a car and it was considered ready for the scrap yard,,,,now even 150 k is considered low mileage ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My 2003 Ranger 4x4 (well actually my Daughters as she drives it) currently has over 320,000 miles. Engine still all original. Just normal replacement parts (alternator, starter, etc.) but nothing internal. I rebuild most of the suspension and wheel bearing earlier this year. Most was not worn out but since I was taking it apart to replace a couple pieces, I just did it all. Daughter had in the mountains this weekend, exercising the 4x4. Today, it is back to work supporting her horse business.

getting set to leave this morning,,,,,funny how we look at things change,when I was a teen and in my 20's 100 k on a car and it was considered ready for the scrap yard,,,,now even 150 k is considered low mileage ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
My last vehicle before my Tundra was a Nissan Sentra. It never made it to 100K. I've had the Tundra for 13 years now.

Latest posts

Back