19 year old from Michigan

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience in managing companies with many thousands of employees, people with college degrees are dime a dozen. Seems like everyone has a 4 year degree in pushing buttons on a computer. Hiring tradesmen was a lot more difficult. I always recommend to young people to go to trade school and learn a skill. Thanks to the school system pushing computer careers or soft jobs, over the last 30 years there is now an enormous shortage of skilled workers. Welding, fabrication, pipe fitting, mechanics, equipment operators, truck driver, etc are in high demand, plus the pay is very good. Any of these trades are much more rewarding than sitting on your asre all day looking at a computer screen.
There are also overseas jobs and oil field jobs that are rotational. My wife and I worked for many years where we got 6 months vacation every year, and still made far more money than a local job. I never could understand why anyone would work 50 weeks out of the year and only get 2 weeks vacation when there are other option available.

Last edited:
Mclovin: Focus on Business law right away, even if its self study. You can challenge the exam and get credit for it for free later.
Self study Project Management. I can help you there.
Then go to Organizational Change, self study if needed.
You can knock these three things out in three months if you put your mind to it.

Note: Project Mgt. is not taught in college. This moves you to the top.
Business law should be your passion because for a year or so businesses will be operating in the wild west as the world is recreated.
You will have to be comfortable with making contracts. This too moves you to the top.
Note:
He who writes the contract controls the deal.

You must learn to plan your work and then work your plan. This is not taught in college; must be done by self study or lots of experience which you don't have time for.

In an interview tell this to the owner, that you "saw it coming and planned for it." I guarantee you to be hired over others.

I am probably overloading you so I will stop.
If you want more let me know but just sleep on what I have suggested.
You are fighting a time clock now. You can't plan for two years out.
You are about to be pushed into leadership in a year. Learn the basics you will need to survive in the role you will be in.

Best of luck to you! It's been an honor to serve you sir.
Wow thank you so much for your help. I've taken an introductory business law class, but I will absolutely start studying some more. I have a bit of management experience since I have the 2nd shift manager at my job, I have a great relationship with the owners and I could absolutely see myself working in the management side in the next few years

Are you ready for more work / learning?

Review the 2 page outline on the Project Management Booklet DAILY (just the headers).
That will get you 80% into Project Mgt. alone.

Your next step is to cheat and Read Peoples' Minds.

This will take you two hours to watch a one hour video twice.
Be sure to learn this with a friend, partner or close relative.
It will be like learning a foreign language that must be spoken with another to lock it in your brain.
This normally takes a lifetime to learn and most people never see it.

Be sure to print and take the 15 minute test first; it will prove that what you are learning is real.
If you can't print in any way I can slow mail all you need.
McLovin, In case you are wondering, you are either a Choleric or Choleric/Sanguine. I bet C/S.

See: Spotting Personalities.

You are going to learn in one hour what most people never learn at all!
Happy hunting.

P.S. Hang on to your law book or purchase another similar one in a thrift store for a buck.

Last edited:
In my experience in managing companies with many thousands of employees, people with college degrees are dime a dozen.

Yup. My college professor, who spent decades in the defense electronics industries, said that a college degree will get you in the door, but after that if you don’t produce then you’ll be out the door.

Jayson: With the exception of medicine, engineering and other technical majors, I suspect college just teaches one the basics and buzz words so they can hit the streets and really learn their profession.

But I will add this. A defining moment for me was when I had to visit a professor in his office.
He had a large homemade sign that said "If we all waited to be perfect before doing anything, nothing would ever get done."

Are you ready for more work / learning?

Review the 2 page outline on the Project Management Booklet DAILY (just the headers).
That will get you 80% into Project Mgt. alone.

This will take you two hours to watch a one hour video twice.
Be sure to learn this with a friend, partner or close relative.
It will be like learning a foreign language that must be spoken with another to lock it in your brain.
This normally takes a lifetime to learn and most people never see it.

Be sure to print and take the 15 minute test first; it will prove that what you are learning is real.
If you can't print in any way I can slow mail all you need.
McLovin, In case you are wondering, you are either a Choleric or Choleric/Sanguine. I bet C/S.

See: Spotting Personalities.

You are going to learn in one hour what most people never learn at all!
Happy hunting.

P.S. Hang on to your law book or purchase another similar one in a thrift store for a buck.
Thats such a great resource, I'm going to go through it tonight after work. I'll let you know how it went, thanks so much!

Yup. My college professor, who spent decades in the defense electronics industries, said that a college degree will get you in the door, but after that if you don’t produce then you’ll be out the door.
Exactly. Many of the "educated" people I hired I would tell them to forget most of what they learned in school, now we'll teach them what they need to know.
I never stepped foot in college. My first management job was at 24 in a heavy welding/fabrication shop. I retired at 57 as a VP in a major oil company. Just shows that a person can be very successful without wasting 4 years in college.

We're totalling overloading mclovinUSA, but I'm gonna suggest anyway you begin "studying" philosophy. Not in school/college/university/online courses, just buy some books or use the many great free web ressources out there, and do it in your spare time. I can recommend a ton of material if you want. You will NOT regret letting philosophy into your life, just make sure it's the real philosophy (logic, scientific theory, critical thinking, etc.), not the feminism/gender studies stuff. You might think that you have no need for philosophy, given that you want to do business management. Reconsider. You have to experience yourself why, I can only guarantee that if you genuinely commit to philosophy you will not regret it ever.

I've learned in my life that what one should assess first and foremost when being with (new) people is their emotional state, not what they are saying or thinking. You still have to listen of course, and consider what they might be thinking, but only second to their emotional state. Say, someone having a cocky attitude who suddenly wants to talk politics, then something is up. If you don't detect the cockyness, you'd think he actually just wanna talk politics with no sinister hidden intentions.

Actually, I got a book on the subject with stories about people working at companies and not doing the slightest work for decades. I specifically remember some engineer admitting at his resignation that he hadn't done any work the last two decades. Not because he was lazy, management simply didn't put him to work for some time after a change of ownership in the company. He kept informing them, asking for stuff to do, but in the end he just gave up, and then spent two decades getting a normal engineering salary while doing nothing. I think this has become really common in big companies, especially Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and so on, and in government of course. The ship is so big that it's impossible to make sure everyone's actually doing something. Meanwhile there are numerous much smaller startups that kick ### and get their products and services up and running fast and successfully, basically working 20 times faster than behemoth Microsoft. More is not necessarily merrier, and it's definitely not necessarily more productive. Altough it's a good rule to have, work or get booted.

Exactly. Many of the "educated" people I hired I would tell them to forget most of what they learned...

The best lesson I learned was during my first day on the job straight out of college. A colleague introduced herself and said “Don’t trust anyone.” Gulp.

Jayson Said: "If you had to say one thing that good managers can, what would that be? Detect bullshit?"

If you are talking Managers of people, my gut reaction is to always remember that everyone under you
is your partner that has a family first. If they fail it is because you failed them.

You failed them by not coaching enough, inspiring, training, supporting, challenge, rotating or paying. And lastly you failed to understand personalities and put the wrong personality in the right job; you expected something out of them that they weren't created to give (sending an introvert out to make cold sales calls).
Wrong personality is a very common problem.

But in my conversation in this thread I am discussing managers of business, which has a subpart of people management.

My apology for a long answer.

Last edited:
Does this mean I'm the next Elon Musk? 😄
my_results.png

Ammo: Only if you had the same score in all four columns. That makes you god.
Your score makes you a split C/M. You are a superb organizer of both people and things, that can't sleep at night.

By the way, there is no perfect score. You are what you were born to be. I have yet met anyone who wanted to be other than what they are.
If your spouse took the test for you she would probably get within one point from your scores.

This knowledge is powerful. You can actually see two strangers getting out of a car a half block away and know who gets on top and who sleeps in the wet spot, whether they are involved or not.

Last edited:
I was in management at 18. Fluctuating between sales and warehouse management until I was 30. I was very good at inventory management. Ran a million case per year beer distributor warehouse and stopped a negative trend. Had several people arrested.

I came to a crossroads, and my ex said why don’t you just go back to sales, you were happier there. I did and got a job within 2 weeks. I was happy. Did sales until I retired at 55.

Do what you are good at. And what makes you happy.. I was happier doing sales.
if you are happier flying, welding, or business management. Do it.

I was in management at 18. Fluctuating between sales and warehouse management until I was 30. I was very good at inventory management. Ran a million case per year beer distributor warehouse and stopped a negative trend. Had several people arrested.

I came to a crossroads, and my ex said why don’t you just go back to sales, you were happier there. I did and got a job within 2 weeks. I was happy. Did sales until I retired at 55.

Do what you are good at. And what makes you happy.. I was happier doing sales.
if you are happier flying, welding, or business management. Do it.
This is great advice.
I would also advise not to stop your life because of the current events. You are young. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
I once had a boyfriend a long time ago, who told me to quit school and move to the mountains as the end of the world was coming right away. Glad I didn't listen....it's been quite a few years since graduation day.
My dad always told me too - do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Latest posts

Back