12V Fridge/Freezer combo.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent sized quality unit?
Just the thought of being able to make ice and have a cold drink would go far in making things better.
It would also be great for keeping leftovers since the days of tossing leftover food would be over.
It would drive me nuts not having an Ice Cold Beer or Coke every once in awhile.

Years ago I built a cabin in the mountains up north. Got tired of living out of an ice box. I found an RV that had been wreaked and made a deal with the owner to buy the 3 way fridge/freezer. I used it on propane but it could be used on AC, DC or gas. The freezer was big enough for a half gallon of ice cream, a couple ice trays and a few other things. Don't remember what I paid for it but I dont think it was too much.

Years ago I built a cabin in the mountains up north. Got tired of living out of an ice box. I found an RV that had been wreaked and made a deal with the owner to buy the 3 way fridge/freezer. I used it on propane but it could be used on AC, DC or gas. The freezer was big enough for a half gallon of ice cream, a couple ice trays and a few other things. Don't remember what I paid for it but I dont think it was too much.

We have one in the camper thats a pretty good sized unit but we obviously dont want to pull it out.
Thinking it might be a little bigger than we need. I'm just getting started on finding out what would work best so it's possible we could get one the same size if the load isn't to much.
We have a solar panel for the camper but we plan on getting two more just to run the fridge,and we're gonna need a couple batteries as well.
C774FDCB-734F-4F68-8D3F-79B4CB311F8B.jpeg

I've never used one, buy my boss when I was still working had one for her car when on road trips and she really liked it. Ii think it was like these but I don't know what brand she had.
https://www.amazon.com/12v-refrigerator/s?k=12v+refrigerator

We've considered a smaller unit and we may still go that route but we're just getting started at this point.
We really need to think about just how much stuff we need to keep cold and what the draw will be.

We have one in the camper thats a pretty good sized unit but we obviously dont want to pull it out.
Thinking it might be a little bigger than we need. I'm just getting started on finding out what would work best so it's possible we could get one the same size if the load isn't to much.
We have a solar panel for the camper but we plan on getting two more just to run the fridge,and we're gonna need a couple batteries as well. View attachment 16386
That's quite a bit bigger than the one we had. I had 12v wired in to the cabin but went with gas for the fridge. I had propane plumbed for lights, cooking and water heating so it was easy to connect it to the fridge. I only used 12v for the TV/ VCR, on-demand water pump and our telephone answering machine.

National Luna fridge freezer they are made in South Africa , I have a 90 Lt Fridge Freezer in my caravan ,lived out of 1 for 9 months travelling in Africa , a chest type unit is better than an upright especially in hot climates , less air transfer , Italy also export to SA , I am sure their must be some available in America , the web site can give an idea to see what is available , just my 2 pennyworth
https://www.nationalluna.com
Fridges | Product categories | Snomaster USA made in Sa ,sold in USA

Last edited:
National Luna fridge freezer they are made in South Africa , I have a 90 Lt Fridge Freezer in my caravan ,lived out of 1 for 9 months travelling in Africa , a chest type unit is better than an upright especially in hot climates , less air transfer , Italy also export to SA , I am sure their must be some available in America , the web site can give an idea to see what is available , just my 2 pennyworth
https://www.nationalluna.com
Fridges | Product categories | Snomaster USA made in Sa ,sold in USA

Yeah the chest freezers are more efficient.
When you open an upright you can feel the cold rolling out from the bottom.
Starting to think more and more about a large chest type frig/freezer combo.
The main reason we want one is to make a bit of ice every once and awhile,and to cool down some drinks so we keep our sanity intact.
Also want to keep leftovers from going bad

Were looking at a DOMETIC 95 liter fridge/freezer. With a couple of solar panels and a couple of batteries we should be able to have constant refrigeration which I didnt really expect to achieve.
You can also get a cover that increases efficiency.
It's kinda pricey at $1239 bucks but it gets great reviews.
Was originally looking at the ICECO which is a bit cheaper but not by enough to make a difference.
You can also make both sides into a refrigerator if you just want cold drinks.

1653601644167.png

1653601750532.png

Nice!!!!
Just found out DOMETIC makes a battery that will run the fridge/freezer for up to 40 hours without a recharge.
It's the PLB40 battery pack. You can charge it from a 120 source,your truck or solar panels. It's basically a single unit that will charge most everything thats 12 volts. Phones,computers and anything else you want to charge.
It runs anywhere from $680 to $850 depending where you purchase it.
It's one of those ..Yeah gotta get it items.
No need to buy other batteries or controls this will do it all.
1653607157156.png

Were looking at a DOMETIC 95 liter fridge/freezer. With a couple of solar panels and a couple of batteries we should be able to have constant refrigeration which I didnt really expect to achieve.
You can also get a cover that increases efficiency.
It's kinda pricey at $1239 bucks but it gets great reviews.
Was originally looking at the ICECO which is a bit cheaper but not by enough to make a difference.
You can also make both sides into a refrigerator if you just want cold drinks.

View attachment 16398
View attachment 16400

Amazon has it for $959.99

Welp...just ordered the 95 liter DOMETIC fridge/freezer.
Also picked up the DOMETIC PLB40 battery pack.
And the Zamp Dometic Obsidian Series 100 Watt solar panel.
It will pretty much run on just the solar panel with zero drop on the battery.

The whole package was just over $2700 with tax.
While pricey the battery pack can charge all of your electronic devices as well.
I'll get some pics when it gets here.

Welp...just ordered the 95 liter DOMETIC fridge/freezer.
Also picked up the DOMETIC PLB40 battery pack.
And the Zamp Dometic Obsidian Series 100 Watt solar panel.
It will pretty much run on just the solar panel with zero drop on the battery.

The whole package was just over $2700 with tax.
While pricey the battery pack can charge all of your electronic devices as well.
I'll get some pics when it gets here.

I might get the 45 watt solar panel for a bit more juice if need be.

Which of the 95 liter units did you get? It seems they have a few variations.

Which of the 95 liter units did you get? It seems they have a few variations.

It's the CFX3 95DZ.
You may be looking at different year models,I did the same when I first started looking.
It's the dual zone hence the DZ moniker. You can turn both sides into a fridge or both into freezers or in any configuration you choose.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/home
1653849638380.png

Why not buy a regular fridge and an inverter to produce AC from your batteries?

Don't misunderstand, I like the idea of a battery-op fridge, but I was wondering -- given the cost.

Why not buy a regular fridge and an inverter to produce AC from your batteries?

Don't misunderstand, I like the idea of a battery-op fridge, but I was wondering -- given the cost.

I want it to be portable #1.
And it sips power unlike a normal fridge. From what I understand DOMETIC designed the compressor to actually run slower to reduce power consumption rather than cycling the compressor on and off. Starting a normal compressor at low power will damage it over time as well.
You can run the fridge/freezer off 120,your truck or a solar panel and it's simple to switch from any of those charging methods since it comes with all the various cords to do so.
I'll admit it's kinda pricey but it checked a bunch of the boxes we were looking for in F/F combo.

It's the CFX3 95DZ.
You may be looking at different year models,I did the same when I first started looking.
It's the dual zone hence the DZ moniker. You can turn both sides into a fridge or both into freezers or in any configuration you choose.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/home
View attachment 16440
Just check the direction of the gas , my understanding is it should go through the freezer into the chiller , not the other way round if you are using for both temps

Latest posts

Back