Helpful Info. 10 Suggestions for securing your home

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
Here are 10 suggestions for securing your home. If you have any others or experience with any please list them.

1. Lock all doors and windows
  2. Make house well lit at night
  3. Make it appear someone is home
  4. Learn to rely on neighbors (more the exception than a rule)
  5. Remove over grown bushes from around house especially below windows
  6. Barking Dog. If you don't have one post signs warning people about a dog (Beware of Dog)
  7. Home security system, if not in the budget place an alarm company sign or stickers in the yard
  8. Don't flaunt your wealth. Keep widow coverings closed and don't leave the box of a newly purchased expensive item on the curb waiting on the trash truck.
  9. Away from home for extended period; stop mail and news paper delivery. have someone maintain your lawn/yard and automatic interior lights
  10. Do NOT post on social media that you are going our fo town

Again if you have more ideas please share them.

Last edited:
Clyde, very good advice for normal times. I might make a few changes for WROL times.

• Lock all doors and windows --- Keep them locked --- stay home
  • Make house well lit at night--- place trash and old furnishing out front --- no visible light
  • Make it appear someone is home --- Look dark and forbidding
  • Learn to rely on neighbors --- Watch out for your neighbors -- They may become dangerous
  • Remove over grown bushes from around house especially below windows --- Plant fast growing thorny bushes.
  • Barking Dog. If you don't have one post signs warning people about a dog (Beware of Dog) --- This is a double edged sword -- growling dog
  • good, barking dog bad.
  • Home security system, if not in the budget place an alarm company sign or stickers in the yard -- Very good idea for any time.
  • Don't flaunt your wealth. Keep widow coverings closed and don't leave the box of a newly purchased expensive item on the curb waiting on the trash
  • truck. --- Very good idea for any time.
  • Away from home for extended period; stop mail and news paper delivery. have someone maintain your lawn/yard and automatic interior lights ---
  • You are not American Express ---don't leave home.
  • Do NOT post on social media that you are going our for town --- Not a worry, Social Media has passed away.

Agree with all, including the neighbors, get along well with them and the Police Station is built on my house wall...8 feet distance, from door-to-door.
1. automatic outside lighting, around the clock, all year.
2. all windows have double panes, 3 locks on all four sides and all are covered with aluminum rollers. Unliftable, fireproof, lightproof and locking.
3. no bushes near windows to allow hiding.
4. Cars from friends and neighbors allowed in the driveway when we are gone.
5. simulated video cameras under the roof eves with blinking red light.

My dog is loud, but too small to cause any fear. Goes with us everywhere anyway. GP

Agree with all, including the neighbors, get along well with them and the Police Station is built on my house wall...8 feet distance, from door-to-door.
1. automatic outside lighting, around the clock, all year.
2. all windows have double panes, 3 locks on all four sides and all are covered with aluminum rollers. Unliftable, fireproof, lightproof and locking.
3. no bushes near windows to allow hiding.
4. Cars from friends and neighbors allowed in the driveway when we are gone.
5. simulated video cameras under the roof eves with blinking red light.

My dog is loud, but too small to cause any fear. Goes with us everywhere anyway. GP
I need to get the auto lighting on the backyard.

agree apart from no.4

Number 4 is a no no, my neighbors would be a disaster in a crisis.
I am new to my neighborhood, so I am not at all able to fully trust any of my neighbors. I have lived in places where i did trust my neighbors but it is more the exception than the rule. I think I will amend my above list

I have clear self adhesive laminating film over all of our downstairs window glasses, if they try to enter by breaking the glass it will not shatter into little pieces and makes a helluva noise trying to get the broken glazing out. Also fitted BS3621 security locks to all doors, the frames are rawl bolted into solid masonry. The doors themselves have either one extra or two extra hinges fitted , Front door secured by THREE 100 mm steel and brass hinges and 50mm number 8 screws. Back doot secured by Four 75mm Steel and brass hinges .

Last edited:
5 dogs (we have 3 and daughter who lives in other half of house has 2). Nobody moves in the yard with us knowing it. In addition, the neighbor across the road has 4 BIG German Shepherds who grew up with out dogs and are best friends. If our, medium sized, dogs go after something (or someone), they will have a lot of help.

While I like those German Shepherds and never had an issue, myself. I am not sure I fully trust those dogs. They have been know to bite some of the other neighbors. But then again, the neighbors they bit are the ones who needed bit anyways. With those 4 dogs around (not ours), we don't get many trespassers.

In addition to the dogs, another neighbor who is further away brought in some animals including two geese and a turkey. (Used to be more but they seemed to have disappeared.) When someone stops in our driveway, the geese come running honking all the way. The Turkey is not far behind rustling its feathers. People who don't know these animals will not usually get out of their vehicle. So far the dogs and the foul seem to tolerate each other. There have been a few chases but I am beginning to think it is more of a game because a little while later they are all friends again.

Yep, it is a real zoo at my house. Anyone who wants to mess around will avoid neighborhood.

Also have motion lights all around the house and just received several motion cameras at Christmas. I have already installed the internet booster. Now just need to install the cameras. That will allow me to keep an eye on the place even when not there.

It all depends on where one lives. My nearest neighbor is over 3 miles away, town (pop 500) is 20 miles. I don't have any window coverings and I have no idea where my house keys are. I never take my car keys out either, even in town, just in case someone needs to move my vehicle. I do keep our lower gate locked and the other 2 gates on my 2 mile long driveway have electric openers. We're in a location that's about as safe as it gets. However, I do plan on adding some inside and outside surveillance cameras just in case.

Even though I live in a relatively low crime area I lock everything. One employee was leaving the keys in the diesel bucket truck when he needed something at Home Depot. I almost fired him for it. Crack addicts have no specific demographics

This video showing how this man secured his home is impressive!

Outside additional door to cover main door. It looks nice and works great! Door is secured to the steal frame with screws and welding.

1667819892810.png

This snapshot of the video shows the inside locking mechanism.

1667820153671.png

He even found a really tough window screen system that is very hard to get through. Like he says, if they work at it long enough, they can break it, but you will know they are there and have plenty of time to take them out.

1667820491609.png

1667820000493-png.17786

Lighting is one I disagree with as it is written.
The house at the very top of the hill 3/4 a mile away burns lights all night long.
Might as well say “here I am”.
I have 4 motion sensor lights on the barn and 4 on the house. If someone comes up my drive, they get lit up like a Christmas Tree. A driveway alarm lets me know they are 400ft away for another light up.

Lighting is one I disagree with as it is written.
The house at the very top of the hill 3/4 a mile away burns lights all night long.
Might as well say “here I am”.
I have 4 motion sensor lights on the barn and 4 on the house. If someone comes up my drive, they get lit up like a Christmas Tree. A driveway alarm lets me know they are 400ft away for another light up.
I've never understood people and their GD yard lights that are on all night long. I like the idea of motion sensor lights, but have had bad luck with solar powered motion sensor lights. About 6 years ago I added a solar powered motion sensor light on our chicken coop, generator shed, the outhouse and our lower gate. They worked fine for about a year, then they all stopped. Then about a year or so ago the one on the chicken coop started working, then quit again. I may try another solar motion sensor light again. Maybe they've made some improvements on them.

I have friend that lives 5 miles south they can see this woman’s lights. I figure the hoard will drive past my house to get to hers.
I only have 1 solar powered flood light and that’s by my grill. The solar puck type lights have lasted 10 yrs. Just enough light to mark steps.

I have friend that lives 5 miles south they can see this woman’s lights. I figure the hoard will drive past my house to get to hers.
I only have 1 solar powered flood light and that’s by my grill. The solar puck type lights have lasted 10 yrs. Just enough light to mark steps.
I don't know why people want to advertise where their house is. I think they've been sold in to this "security" BS from the power companies.

Latest posts

Back