10 Must-Have Items for a Bug Out Bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me when the author says list TEN essential items I have an issue as certain essential go hand in hand. for example I list

Flashlight and Batteries as one item
Knife and Sharpener as one item
Map and Compass as one item
Radio and Batteries as one item
Lighter and Fuel tabs as one item
Shades and Cleaning cloth as one item
Soap and Towelette as one item
Phone and Power Pack.

And I assume a gun is pretty useless without ammo?

Last edited:
For me when the author says list TEN essential items I have an issue as certain essential go hand in hand. for example I list

Flashlight and Batteries as one item
Knife and Sharpener as one item
Map and Compass as one item
Radio and Batteries as one item
Lighter and Fuel tabs as one item
Shades and Cleaning cloth as one item
Soap and Towelette as one item
Phone and Power Pack.

And I assume a gun is pretty useless without ammo?
So we're talking minor/short term disaster, not necessarily something you would "bug out" for? Or assuming phone will still work at first?
While I like my phone (a lot) I don't consider it an essential item because it's something we can so easily live without. A lot of these other items are more of what I would consider essential -knife and sharpener for sure, fire starter, etc. I would add life straw (what I carry) or some other method of purifying drinking water as well, for sure.

So we're talking minor/short term disaster, not necessarily something you would "bug out" for? Or assuming phone will still work at first?
While I like my phone (a lot) I don't consider it an essential item because it's something we can so easily live without. A lot of these other items are more of what I would consider essential -knife and sharpener for sure, fire starter, etc. I would add life straw (what I carry) or some other method of purifying drinking water as well, for sure.

Short to medium Kate, short term would not normally see me carrying extra batteries / power packs etc , but medium term disruption would see me carrying spare batteries at least plus a mini 5v dc solar panel to top up things like mobile phones, radios, recharge power packs etc. My phones gallery memory is full of usefull documents, infographics, aide memoirs , maps and an FM radio etc . It rarely gets used as a phone, but the GPS maps are handy. I carry a couple of strips of water purification tablets instead of life straw quite simply cos I get them for nothing :)

Short to medium Kate, short term would not normally see me carrying extra batteries / power packs etc , but medium term disruption would see me carrying spare batteries at least plus a mini 5v dc solar panel to top up things like mobile phones, radios, recharge power packs etc. My phones gallery memory is full of usefull documents, infographics, aide memoirs , maps and an FM radio etc . It rarely gets used as a phone, but the GPS maps are handy. I carry a couple of strips of water purification tablets instead of life straw quite simply cos I get them for nothing :)
I have the water purification tablets too but the life straw is just sooo handy.
Speaking of charging phones in a disaster scenario, I have this cool solar power LED lantern that someone gave me that has usb charging ports on it, and it folds down to store flat when not in use. It's really handy and it could serve multiple purposes. I may consider adding it to my edc bag.

To the original list I would add good multitool and disposable wipes.
I like multi tools that the hinge pivots can be easily adjusted and dont require some weird Security Torx bits to adjust things, So i tend to use Gerber multi pliers which are adjustable by simple allan key, where as the Leatherman wave I was given had weird torx fittings.

IMG_20181208_170411.jpg
my get home bag contents, backpack not shown.

Water filtration is always at the top of any list for me. I have the life straws and think it’s a good product due to its size but feel it’s only good for clear water. Living in the south where it’s hot more than not I want something that can handle more volume than just a straw, and has a container to carry water between fillings. Getting dehydrated affects you faster than most people realize.

In terms of paper maps, individual state and city foldups or atlas? The atlas weighs about 2.5lbs, but I would think the individual maps would be bulky if you had more than a few. I doubt I'd need anything for outside of Texas right away so maybe just Texas map for the b.o.b. and the atlas for bugout site. Thoughts?

In terms of paper maps, individual state and city foldups or atlas? The atlas weighs about 2.5lbs, but I would think the individual maps would be bulky if you had more than a few. I doubt I'd need anything for outside of Texas right away so maybe just Texas map for the b.o.b. and the atlas for bugout site. Thoughts?
I was just considering this myself the other day as I was driving back to TX from MS right after the hurricane. Fortunately I know a few good routes through there, but if I had to go in another direction I would need some good maps. Unfortunately I'm in the bad habit of using google maps for everything so this is something I need to work on adding to my bag.

I'd like to point out that for food'cans get really heavy, really fast. While a couple of cans may not seem that heavy individually when packed up you will feel how heavy they are. I'd suggest no more than 3-4 cans for a 72 hour bag.

My 2 cents
I have cans of Tuna, small, light and good! Plus a can opener! In the car I have tea light candles and a new paint can to make heat when it is cold, not a good idea to build a fire inside your car! Several ways to make fire, bic lighters with flammable cordage wrapped around the striker and button to keep it from letting the gas out, fire starter rod, magnesium fire starter, all in the bag plus the one I carry in my pocket. Plus the tinder, cotton balls w/petroleum jelly, duraflame fire starters. Hand warmers. Wow, now I need to pull our bags out and go through them again! Thanks for the Post!

After reading all nine pages, there are some good ideas here. One thing nobody mentioned was large trash bags. These trash bags can keep you dry, like a poncho when it rains and can act like another layer of clothes without adding weight for warmth. If you get caught in the rain you can use these trash bags to catch rainwater to refill your canteen. Every person's situation is different, but we can gleam information from everyone.

Latest posts

Back