10 Must-Have Items for a Bug Out Bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have in my bug out almost everyrhing in here. Almost . Were are setting up neighbourhood defence . and looting around he area . So

I'm with Gazrok on this one. My Bob's have been set up for going on 5 years now, but once a quarter I dump them out and rotate the food items and add/replace stuff I've accumulated for the bag.

The last time was actually last week on New Years Day. I had found an old golf spotting scope (monocular 7 power) at a garage sale for $2, that I replaced my small binoculars (even smaller), added some homemade fishing kits that fit in a mint tin (not Altoids, but the small round ones), replaced my Bear Creek Soups/Pasta's (For taste and calories per pound these are great, a little costly but worth it).

I've compartmentalized my bag since it has Molle webbing and attachable pouches, it allows me to add or remove quickly for different scenarios. For example it's probably better to cache your weapons/ammo if you are going to be somewhere where LEO/Security is going to be tight and they may even check your bag, ie: driving on base.

I'm surprised a Leatherman was only mentioned once. (and one passing reference to a "multi-tool")

I'm trying out two different models, the "Wingman" and the "Sidekick."

leatherman.png

I wish there was one that had both the scissors on the Wingman and the saw on the Sidekick. For EDC I carry the Wingman because I use scissors much more often than the saw. Outdoors I carry the Sidekick. I currently have a Wingman in the BOB.

Both models have a knife blade that is accessible without opening the tool. I no longer carry a pocketknife because the Leatherman's blade is more than adequate (it seems to have better steel than the pocketknife I carried)

Light pistol? Melee weapon? LOL!

No thanks, you use your "Melee Weapon" and I'll use my 45... :p

Beware of an old man with a gun - too old to take an ### whupping and too young to die. Shoot

Last edited:
A Gerber Multitool: Sailor tested, sailor approved. Lol. Plus if you have the weight available add a small vise grips. I don't know how many times I've cussed because I didn't have another set of pliers. If you don't see the need for a vise grips as well in your pack, I actually carry a fencing pliers (it cuts wire easily, it's a small hammer, a small pick hammer, it's a pliers, but that's not all) in my everyday bag when I go out on BLM land. Don't ask why, just fix the fence when you are done. Lol.

I also think that alot of people get hung up on the bag. As if every scenario is going to be Book of Eli living out of your pack. Speaking from experience after evacuating from the wildfires of 2008, you are most likely going to bug out via vehicle first. This is where an extra tote of food/supplies and water should get packed into the vehicle. You may have to ditch the vehicle depending on your scenario, but why start off small. Besides if you do have to set out on foot you can hydrate and eat something before you leave it for the vultures.

I have 2 totes of supplies a milk crate with 6 gallon jugs of water, and 2 cases of the 16 ounce water bottles with my BOB's put on top of the stack, sitting by the back door. It takes less than 5 minutes for 2 people to pull the truck to the back and load, I've actually tried it alone and it took 4 minutes/22 seconds.

BTW. The milk crate is the commercially available model, I don't want anything in my vehicle or BOB that would allow LEO's to harass me as I am bugging out. Yes, I got stopped by LEO on my way out and they looked through the vehicle to make sure I wasn't looting other places.

A good book :p in honesty my ten things have already been mentioned... One thing though that I'd never take out of my bag is my fishing things, love to fish and it relaxes me. Entertainment is the only thing I'd add, 3 days isn't so bad, 3 weeks and your board. Idle hands do the work of the devil (I think that is how it goes) you make careless and stupid mistakes when your not at your best and you need a way to relax. I just added a pack of cards and some books to my gear (3 bags that would load into the car)

They make playing card decks that also have useful info, like identifying edible plants, first aid, etc.

Speaking from experience after evacuating from the wildfires of 2008, you are most likely going to bug out via vehicle first

Yep, my vehicle is like one big BOB too. I have this one kit I picked up years ago, that is especially nice, it has: good jumper cables, a collapsible jug, a siphon, socket set, screwdriver set, pliers, duct tape, electrical tape, fuses, flares, a reflective blanket, twist ties, bungees, and probably some other other stuff I'm forgetting. It all is in its own plastic case. Picked it up at a garage sale for less than $5.

what about portable rechargeable cell phone chargers? maybe a shtf scenario is temporary, and need to get contact to other people that are farther than a portable radio, or dont have ham radio with them. a way to charge the cell phone is a good way to not rely on a building to charge our cell phones.

It may not seem like a neccessary to us, but to those of us who have children, and are in school, work, or shopping center, and they need to get ahold of the parents'. having battery in a phone is a great thing.

I have all the things you put In your bug out bag. I also carry 100 rounds of 22 Ammo along with a walther P22 semi auto pistol as well as a 22 rifle. I also keep 100 rounds of 9mm ammo plus 6 extra 17 round mags. It is extra weight but well worth it. You can take down fairly large game with a 22 not to mention it is good defensive weapon. I have body armor for my wife and kids also by the front door as well as our M-4 carbines. I believe if you are having to grab your bug out bag you will want to be well armed. Look what happened during Katrina in Louisiana, the bad guys were looting attacking people for their supplies. Ambulances were returning every evening full of bullet holes. So even in a natural disaster it does not mean you don't have to worry about defending your family. Also a good knife, very important. In my military career we learned if you could only have 1 item to survive with a knife would be #1 in my book

Sounds completely crazy but a small thing of vicks goes a long way. . It is a great thing to have for small painful cuts to numb or in my situation I used it, it worked perfectly and provided me some protection to my cut with sand and dirt I was dealing with until I could clean it and let air to it at a later time and actually helped with the scarring as well and if you have a toothache an asprin cut in half with the white side to the effected area reliefs momentarily enough to not go b@shit crazy ..hope that lil tid bit helps :)

I would take along my handy axe with the above mentioned gear,can use that as a weapon,make firewood

one thing I'm thinking right now,all that gear but noone seemed to have anything to keep you clean,things like soap, keep you clean will keep you healthy,so I added soap to my bag today

one thing I'm thinking right now,all that gear but noone seemed to have anything to keep you clean,things like soap, keep you clean will keep you healthy,so I added soap to my bag today
Not only do I not like to stink, but an infection could be a death sentence, so staying clean is as important as everything else!

For a Bug Out Bag, sure. For a Get Home Bag, I wouldn't put it in my top ten. A few days of being dirty aren't really that big a deal if you're heading to a bug out location (where you will have such things).

Having recently re-evaluated my top 10 I'd have to go with the following for the following reasons:

10. A metal bottle of water. Why? Because you can boil water in it, it can stay warmer or colder longer than plastic and chemicals don't leech into the water after long periods of storage. It has to draw back of not being able to fold down like a plastics bottle or quiet the same level of creative camp crafts (like using a plastic bottle to catch minnows) but it is less likely to brake. My fall back for this is a water bladder as it folds down really small while still being easy to pack away when full.

9. A good knife. While not higher on the list I feel like a knife is a very important item to keep with you at all times (due to the fact that I'm at an international school I can't carry one with me 24/7) what can't you do with a knife in a survival situation. I have multiple folding knives as I feel that the way that they fold down is important for cutting down on space. (Just noticed the pun :p ) I feel that if I could only have 1 knife though that a solid, full tang fixed blade is best.

8. Food. Food keeps us alive. Simple. I like to stay way from commercially made MREs and canned goods for my bags (although I have a lot of canned food it simply weighs too much) so I make simple food bags that contain everything I need for that meal. These range from beef jerky with crackers (nice little sandwiches, but they are a nit tough) to soups to smoked fish. Anything that lasts long and has the nutrients to keep me going is good.

7. Good boots. 2 pair is a must. When 1 pair is soaked what do you do? I like to switch it up for different tasks. Long distance boots over work boots. I have both pairs broken in and they are great. They don't look like they are brand new or that a model will wear them coming down the run way but they are amazing at what they do. I also store an extra pair of dry socks in each boot as it cuts down on space required and it gives me the chance to surprise myself with dry socks.

6. A good back pack for this all to go into. I know that the tittle is "10 must have items for a bug out bag" but the bag is just as important. I like to use school back packs as it looks like I just tossed my school stuff out and now I'm ready to kick some @$$ during SHTF. I can always find a use for old things and my old school bags were no exception. Hiking bags are good but I find they look out of place in a city or even where I am so I think that a school bag looks the best, feels good and can take quiet a beating.

5. Defensive weapons. I had to add this on there. I never what to be caught without some for of weapon on me. Ranging from my bow to my nerve stick, I have something on me at all times. My bow is a sorta takedown model so it folds down into 2 parts and it isn't the heaviest draw but they don't know that. I also have martial arts weapons that I can use to defend myself but I find that they loom out of place more than the bow would.

4. A good pair of gloves. Working gloves. Blister on you hands suck. I hate having to work when i get them and the gloves will help with that. They should be worn at all times SHTF because you never know when you may have to break your way through a door that is full of splinters or that you need to go through bushes. Also they can be those reinforced military ones with the cover over strategic parts for fighting but I find they don't give good support to your handsand punching with those on really hurts. These gloves can be for winter also if you love in a colder environment or water proof it you see your self in a wet region.

3. A good book. The Hobbit. The end. In all honesty and book will do. Reading takes your mind off SHTF problems and reminds you of a character. It relaxes you. Any book will do, nation/ reckless are amazing books and they don't take up much space. Worse case scenario you can burn the pages to give you a fire. Also cards work good here also as it gives you some thing to do. You don't want to be bored do you?

2. Medical kit. People get hurt, what can I say? A fully stocked EMT medical kit with the latest pain killers is wonderful but I can't get that. Lots of bandages and gauze. Band-aids and what not are great. A tube of super glue to close up wounds is also great to have.Disinfectants, I like hydrogen peroxide because it can be used in wounds and to clean up tools. Now it doesn't have to be fancy but you have to know how to use that stuff in there.

1. Made it my top thing to bring. My top must have. Truth is, I don't have a top of the list thing, there is some many items that are situational (like snowshoes or a padlock with chain) and there are many things that I wouldn't want to leave behind. I could have said something like knowledge or guidance but I'm sure you can toss that in a bag. (Unless you are saying that is a boom then look at #3) I feel that there is no 100% always bring.

That is my newer top ten list. Any questions? Ask away :D

As big as the Hobbit book is, also classifies as a weapon, hehe.... Personally, my crank cell charger should give me access to some audio books to listen to while hiking home. Much harder to walk and read. :D

5. Defensive weapons. I had to add this on there. I never what to be caught without some for of weapon on me. Ranging from my bow to my nerve stick, I have something on me at all times. My bow is a sorta takedown model so it folds down into 2 parts and it isn't the heaviest draw but they don't know that. I also have martial arts weapons that I can use to defend myself but I find that they loom out of place more than the bow would.

Why not a gun? I guarantee the bad guys will have guns. You should too.

Latest posts

Back