10 Must-Have Items for a Bug Out Bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just what is a light pistol? and a melee weapon? You making words up as you go along
A melee weapon is any weapon that does not involve a projectile meaning in normal use it is simultaneously in contact with the user and the target. '" Stop putting members down " This is a positive place so if you don't know the meaning of something try asking.

A melee weapon is any weapon that does not involve a projectile meaning in normal use it is simultaneously in contact with the user and the target. '" Stop putting members down " This is a positive place so if you don't know the meaning of something try asking.

I never put a you down :) You want positive then speak plain old American English No one uses the word melee stop at least not in the form you are using it, and trying to sound smarter then the rest. SO WHAT YOUR SAYING IS CARRY A KNIFE ? and I believe I did ask. The term melee weapon is a neologism, usually absent from scientific and historical scholarship, and apparently deriving from the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game.

I never put a you down :) You want positive then speak plain old American English No one uses the word melee stop at least not in the form you are using it, and trying to sound smarter then the rest. SO WHAT YOUR SAYING IS CARRY A KNIFE ? and I believe I did ask. The term melee weapon is a neologism, usually absent from scientific and historical scholarship, and apparently deriving from the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game.

and what D&D game did you get light weapon?

A club,ball bat,cane/walking stick,knife,machete,axe/hatchet are melee weapons.The term melee is not new and Colt's definition is correct.A light pistol would be anything of a lower caliber or weight.

Last edited:

It's french and has existed in polite society for a long time...

me·lee
ˈmāˌlā,māˈlā/
noun
noun: melee; plural noun: melees; noun: mêlée; plural noun: mêlées
a confused fight, skirmish, or scuffle.
"several people were hurt in the melee"
synonyms:fracas, disturbance, rumpus, tumult, commotion, ruckus, disorder, fray;More

Great post. I have all 10 in the list but also have a good water filter, leather gloves, a leatherman type tool, and firearms. The water filter is a $100 camping one from REI with a good filtering capicity. The gloves are to simply protect my hands - as valuable an asset as anything and hand injuries are preventable. The leatherman will prove extremely useful in many situations including scavanging and constructing needed items. Finally, if ever the world we in a state of chaos, i feel firearms are a must. You already need a gun to wald through many neighborhoods in the US, just imagine how it will be when basic services including the police arent around. My weapons cache includes a couple of rifles, shotgun, and a few pistols - not much like many "gun guys" but enough to arm other family members and friends should we need it. Oh...thes always room for a change of clothes...

10. blankets
i have a spread that i bought at dollor genral year before last.it's %100 poyester.but warm as can be.pluse it folds up rather small and is very light whight.if it aint quiet warm enough at time.then the space banket might work with it.
9. clothes
always change them out of the time of year and weather.include a puncho or 2.never know when you might be stuck on foot in the rain.pluse it'll help you stay warm when needed
8. Battery Powered Radio
i have a eton am/fm/weather band radio.no power cord for it.but i can and do use the hand crank and solar panal to charge up the battries in it..it also has a usb port for chargeing cell phones and a flash light
7. Cash
keeping 1's 5's 10's and 20's on hand will be a big pluse if we get through what ever happens
6. Flashlight
i have 3 flash lights,and one head lamp.in which 2 use tripple a,and 1 uses d..i also recently got a solor pwered battry charger.so i'll be able to keep those battries charge with it if needed
5. Flint
flint fire starter matchs bic and a zippo kept in a water proof contaner
4. water
even if you dont have a gallon of water per day.it might prove usefull to have extra water containers on you.this way you can fill them when needed.especilly if looks like you'll go another 2 or 3 days before comeing across water again
3.food.
thinking packets of food.on acount thier flater then cans.and the packets are reuseable as well as cans are.
2.shelter
a 2 person tent should work if theres 1 or 2 of you.and like you suggested.tarps.pluse a hammok or 2.thier quieker n easyer to put up n take down.pluse some are inclosed,kinda like haveing a tent tied to 2 trees and off the ground
1. first aid kit.
the meds thats taken each day/week..oientments for scraps and posion ivy/oak band-aids.gauze pads tape.even plumbers tape might work on keeping gauze in place
i lil camping cooking kit of some kind.you not only can cook n heat food in it.but if you get the right set-up.you can boil water with the lil pot that comes with it..also maps of where you are and will be. and compass's knifes for hunting and cutting up meats.

i forgot.a sewing kit for sewing up whats needed.you can even sew up a deep/long cut with needle n thread.and a small screw driver set to use on eye glass's and other things with small screws.a multi tool pliers,utlilty knife.p38 for opening cans.

and what D&D game did you get light weapon?
D&D Never winter has light melee weapons i just so happen to play the game every now and then . If youve never heard the term "Melee" youve lived a sheltered life and didnt pay attention in school!

Also if the grid goes down ammo will be in short supply thus putting us back into the dark ages ! were the term melee and melee weapons were used quit often!

It's one of the ONLY accurate things about the TV Show Revolution....how folks went back to carrying melee weapons like swords, etc. Especially if private guns were outlawed by those who ran the show....

I keep a set of clothes, a large and small fixed blade, a folding knife and a hatchet/tomahawk as edc in my bag. A bow or cross bow would be on my list. May need to hunt along the way. A wool us army blanket, a zippo and a magnesium fire starter and a metal match. A spare set of light tennis shoes are on my list as well in case my bates are somehow drenched. A .22 survival rifle. Binoculars, a small scope, a weather/season appropriate jacket. A tarp, tons of cordage, some long lasting food, a camelback and extra bladder. A metal camp pan for cooking/ water purification and a radio and flashlight. A small first aid kit and tool set. Some canvas bags( they are lightweight and multipurposed) some coffee and tea. I may not be English but I love a nice hot cup of tea! And a face/head covering so my head isn't cooking or freezing. There more but my hands are cramping. My whole setup is about 25 pounds and I'm kind of a big kid so it's easy to hike long distance with, I've hiked 30+ miles with it on and was surprised at how easy it was.

Binoculars are a good addition, as mentioned. It goes under Information. Being able to see details before the subject can, gives you an informational edge. Also lets you know what you are getting into, with time to avoid it.

Good point . Top reman, power bars, candy, dried fruit, instant coffee, about it for me on the food. LIGHT FAST AND MOVIN.
I'm pretty well prepared, probably have double the weight I need, but your the first to mention instant coffee! Waking up without just plain sucks! Just added it to my list. Thanks.

I think everyone had a lot of great ideas. I would rather be over prepared than under. If you can't hack the weight, you can always lighten the load along the way. It's a lot easier to chunk something than to say, damn I need to go back for this or that.

Exactly my thinking I hate when my friends decide to just go camping, they'll pull up and say come on, so I get in and the next thing I know we're in the middle of the woods with nothing but a tent and some shitty lighters!

Exactly my thinking I hate when my friends decide to just go camping, they'll pull up and say come on, so I get in and the next thing I know we're in the middle of the woods with nothing but a tent and some shitty lighters!
Yeah, I love to camp, but at 50yrs old I'm not into roughing it anymore! The ole back isn't happy in the morning after sleeping on the ground. I really like to go explore/hike during the day, but after dark is the time to cook good food, have a few drinks, and enjoy some of the comforts brought along.

I'm constantly adjusting my GHB, mostly based on things I see that will do a job better, or with less weight, or add more comfort, etc., etc. Once the basics are covered, no reason not to consider the creature comforts too. I even have some go packs of cookies, etc. in there, because if I have to hoof it for 30 miles or so, I just may want a little treat on the way. :D

I'm the same way, basically go over my bag once a week or so and add gear or swap it. I love hiking/camping I'd stay out there for a week if I didn't have to work and stuff, but I had to damn cut a tree down with an axe that's handle was 4 inches long because my buddy didn't know the proper way to handle it. Ugh it was awful

Latest posts

Back