1.2l diesel engine

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can open up the question more...a friend of mine had a small utility trailer with a gas engine, generator, air compressor, tool box, water pump, etc on it. I would like to stay with diesel because it is less volatile, and real diesel engines are very durable. Part of the objective here is to find something that sips as little fuel as possible. Generator head will be 10-12K watts. Part of the objective is low price. 1.5l VW diesels are available for $400, though they are certainly overkill. 20-30hp diesel engines are usually more than $1,200 and they are not as durable as an automobile engine.

I am looking for a low rpm 2,000 rpm diesel engine to make a generator. Datsun made a 1.2l diesel, non turbo, that was low rpm. Does anyone know if these are still available?
I cannot find any 1200 CC Diesels from Datsun ,Datsun Nissan got their diesel lumps from Renault and by far the best and most reliable is the 1461cc K9K series of engines, easily good for WAY over 250,000 miles, more if used statically with very high quality synthetic low saps lube oil and loads of filter changes. The earlier 1108, 1170, and 1289cc unit was not noted for reliability. Hard part is finding a NON turbo lump

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_K-Type_engine

Last edited:
For a generator, diesel has a lot of advantages over gasoline engines for sure. I use a propane generator, and propane stores better than diesel even, but the life span is probably nowhere near a good diesel generator.

When I worked for ICI chemicals in the early 7os we had some single and twin cylinder Lister diesel pallet trucks, These very simple diesels were hank cranked to start with a simple decompressor lever. They had been in continious operation since the 1930s. Many are collectable engines these days, some refurbished ones often end up powering generators up to 2200 watts.

At the deer camp we have a small 30 year old Ford New Holland diesel tractor for working on food plots. The weather there is very hot and humid in the summer. There is a small "shed" we keep it in, but it is very small with open sides front and back that the ends of the tractor stick out of, and half the time it's left out in the open. The abuse this little tractor has suffered from my nephews operating it is unbelievable. The hydraulics and transmission have been worked on a number of times, but the little diesel engine is like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going and going...

The newer 4 banger diesels for autos run at higher rmp's, higher than generator heads use. If I ran the diesel at it's most efficient rpm and used pulleys to lower the rpm for the head..would that give me the best fuel usage? I believe that some of the earlier vw diesels were non-turbo. Maybe I am wrong, but I have always heard good things about vw diesels - 300,000 mile engines.

The newer 4 banger diesels for autos run at higher rmp's, higher than generator heads use. If I ran the diesel at it's most efficient rpm and used pulleys to lower the rpm for the head..would that give me the best fuel usage? I believe that some of the earlier vw diesels were non-turbo. Maybe I am wrong, but I have always heard good things about vw diesels - 300,000 mile engines.

The VW group 1.9 common rail diesel is oddly enough more reliable and economical than its new 2 litre stablemate, You run diesels for gennies at the revs where it develops the most torque which is often 1600 to 1800 rpm though they will rev to 4000 rpm, but any more than the torque level is just wasted fuel and increased wear. I believe there is a very commonly used VW/ Seat / Audi/ Skoda group diesel often adapted for farm use in Mexico , perhaps someone could identify that model for you??

Good information. Does a turbo have much use in a stationery engine, turning at 1,800 rpm all the time? Your recommendation is good - that is a good engine. The idea of looking older is to find something that runs well without a turbo and has no electronics.

Interesting...VW 1.6l tdi 16 valve
upload_2020-5-16_19-48-15.png

Good information. Does a turbo have much use in a stationery engine, turning at 1,800 rpm all the time? Your recommendation is good - that is a good engine. The idea of looking older is to find something that runs well without a turbo and has no electronics.

I have concerns about the heat generated by turbos in static locations, my gut feeling is that the oil cooling alone may not be enough long term, it (turbo) would really benefit from its own cooling system. HOWEVER most good mech engineers should be able to set up that type of engine without its turbo, Turbos are normally only needed to help the vehicle accelerate faster and smoother, as you say an engine sitting at 1800 rpm all day should not need turbocharging to operate. I used to have a Skoda with a 1.9 NA diesel it ran for nearly 300,000 miles and returned 45 MPG. they used those engines across the VW group.

Thanks for the response. Maybe the best way is to hook up an engine with the turbo, run it for a while and measure the fuel consumption, then strategically take it off and run the engine again. I thought about the cooling problem. Maybe adding a electric fan will provide the cooling? If these engines yield 50 mpg in a car I am sure they will sip less than a gallon of diesel while turning a generator. The link to the website was really helpful - that company makes high quality engines but high quality means high $$$. I am hoping that $3K will finish the whole project, and not just buy the engine. :! There will be greater reliability issue but I hope to have a 2,000 watt generator that will serve as a backup to the backup and power critical needs devices - fridge, freezers, cell phone, etc

My current Nissan van and my wifes Dacia both use the Renault K9K engine, but in slightly different levels of tune ( 90 and 120 HP) both average over 55MPG , even Mercedes has started using the K9K in some of its vans.

My current Nissan van and my wifes Dacia both use the Renault K9K engine, but in slightly different levels of tune ( 90 and 120 HP) both average over 55MPG , even Mercedes has started using the K9K in some of its vans.
Is this available in the US?

Latest posts

Back